SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw that set Tuesday night. I think its the only one left with those knobs

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

The other rollsign in the car is turned using a key, not with these knobs, so this is really one of a kind...

Edited by agar io

Woah guys, R142A car #7792 has the interior rollsign that says "LEXINGTON AV EXP" "EASTERN PKWY EXP" "TO WOODLAWN", doesn't display anything else. No next stops or time

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Don't worry about that, its a lineup program that just got stuck. It's called a glitch. R142A's are not going to display this it's entire route.

Does the morning <7> use the center track, or the southbound local track at Willets Point? Signage at the station seems to indicate that it uses the local track.

Well, the <7> departs from tracks M and 2 at Flushing-Main St, which are the center and northbound-local tracks further west. It would be tedious to cross over to the southbound-local track (merging with the local (7) ) and then, past Willets Point, go back to the center track. So I imagine the <7> could just stay on the express track.

However, the center track at Willets Point only has one platform face toward the northbound-local platform. If the MTA wants to reduce the number of platforms that passengers could go to (this doesn't see particularly high use except during games), the <7> can use the southbound-local platform. This is a bit counterintuitive though, since it involves more switching than is needed.

They use the southbd local track in the morning. Then switch to the <7> center track flyover after. They deadhead trains on the center track to main street which is one of the reasons they dont use the center track. Also, it prob caused a lot of confusion for passengers and they prob did it for the same reason the <7> stopped opening both doors on both sides. Becuz it caused too much confusion.

When any cars with DC motors (R32 through R68A) go from full parallel to coast at relatively low speed, there is a loud "TOCK" sound. I've always assumed it was part of the relay mechanism, but I don't really know. Does anyone know which sound I'm talking about, and what exactly it might be?

Well, the <7> departs from tracks M and 2 at Flushing-Main St, which are the center and northbound-local tracks further west. It would be tedious to cross over to the southbound-local track (merging with the local (7) ) and then, past Willets Point, go back to the center track. So I imagine the <7> could just stay on the express track.

However, the center track at Willets Point only has one platform face toward the northbound-local platform. If the MTA wants to reduce the number of platforms that passengers could go to (this doesn't see particularly high use except during games), the <7> can use the southbound-local platform. This is a bit counterintuitive though, since it involves more switching than is needed.

So you’re just guessing? :rolleyes:

Decided to fan the (F) yesterday.... This Bway/West End G.O. is one of my favorites :) :)

(F)or some random sh!t:

There was at least 1 R46 on the (F)

I arrived at C.I. just in time to see an R68A being pressed into service on the (N)

There were at least 2 R160s on the (R)

There's an LED replacement program for the R160s?? 5-car sets 8718-8722 spotted on the (N) and 9803-9807 spotted on the (R) .....so thats a thing now....  :ph34r:

There's currently a loss of power at CI yard. Does this mean that trains just sitting there can't run?

NYCSubway on twitter posted the (N) was on west end.

Edited by Missabassie

I walked through Willets Point a few days ago, and it was a ghost town. I saw no residential buildings (according to Wikipedia, Willets Point has a population of 10 people); there were simply a few auto repair shops and other industrial businesses.

Here are all the sources of ridership I could think of, in no particular order:

• Visitors to Citi Field
  • Visitors to Corona Park
  • People employed at Corona Yard
  • People employed at Casey Stengel Depot
  • Visitors to the USTA Tennis Center
  • Employees of the various businesses in the Iron Triangle

Yet, the (7) station has 2.12 million entries a year (putting it at 233 out of 425 on the rankings). I think that is a bit odd; do the points above really bring so many people to the station? Or is there some other source of ridership I'm not thinking about?

I walked through Willets Point a few days ago, and it was a ghost town. I saw no residential buildings (according to Wikipedia, Willets Point has a population of 10 people); there were simply a few auto repair shops and other industrial businesses.

• Visitors to Citi Field

Yet, the (7) station has 2.12 million entries a year (putting it at 233 out of 425 on the rankings). I think that is a bit odd; do the points above really bring so many people to the station? Or is there some other source of ridership I'm not thinking about?

I would guess a majority of that figure is Citi Field, Corona Park and USTA people...

Also consider that employees at Citi Field and USTA primarily take the  (7). Not sure how many Mets employees take the  (7) to their offices in Citi Field but that could be a factor too.

Edited by Around the Horn

• Visitors to Citi Field
Yet, the  (7) station has 2.12 million entries a year (putting it at 233 out of 425 on the rankings). I think that is a bit odd; do the points above really bring so many people to the station? Or is there some other source of ridership I'm not thinking about?

Also consider that employees at Citi Field and USTA primarily take the  (7). Not sure how many Mets employees take the  (7) to their offices in Citi Field but that could be a factor too.

The few times I've been there, I also saw it as a totally empty station, kinda like 34 St-Hudson Yards. But, also like Hudson Yards, it has some days where it's very busy due to events nearby. This is one of the few stations in NYC where taking the mean of the ridership isn't representative of the station's average ridership, but rather, the mode.

Considering that:

• Citi Field had 2.8 million visitors last year. Let's be conservative and say half these visitors take the (7) (of course, everything else, including taxi, rent-a-car, and LIRR are quite expensive for visitors who fly in).
  • The US Open is always hosted at the USTA Tennis Center, which is 700,000 people at the US Open alone. Again, let's estimate that only half take the subway.

There's only 350,000 missing riders left, then. Let's say the rest are for the park, Queens Museum, NY Hall of Science, and other events at the USTA Tennis Center. Also, the actual proportion of people going to these two sports venues can be higher than my conservative estimate.

Also, 2.1 million annual visitors to Willets Point isn't much ridership compared to other stations near stadiums. Yankee Stadium has 8.9 million every year, Barclays Center has 13.7 million at the former Atlantic-Pacific complex alone, and the two Penn Stations each have 27 million.

Willets Point is probably gonna be redeveloped to some extent sometime within the next decade, like Hunters Point & Williamsburg

Maybe not huge glass towers, but it is right next to two stadiums a huge and historically significant park and Flushing Bay which is in the process of being cleaned out. It's also close to the (7) AND <7> which with CBTC will be amazing for riders there

It would be a nice area.