SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Both the N and the Q run local overnights. The Q switches to the local track N/B before prince st and switches back south of 57/7. They don't "trip over each other". And yes, during overnights the Q makes all local stops from Canal to 57/7.

I was referring to the 1 hour when the (Q) and (R) are the Broadway locals and the (N) is the sole Broadway express.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both the N and the Q run local overnights. The Q switches to the local track N/B before prince st and switches back south of 57/7. They don't "trip over each other". And yes, during overnights the Q makes all local stops from Canal to 57/7.

Now as to relays from a few posts back, yes, the F relays at 179. Always does. It arrives on the east bound platform and departs from the westbound platform. relays includes:

Bronx: 205 (D), Parkcester (6)

Manhattan: 168th (C), Brooklyn Bridge (6), Bowling Green (5), Broad St (J), Chambers (J and M when needed)

(not sure about overnight 3 train)

Queens: 71/Forest Hills (M)(R), 179 (F, E), Broad Channel (Rockaway Blvd-Summer weekends only)Rock Pk Shuttle

Brooklyn: Church Ave (G), Euclid (C and Lefferts Shuttle), Utica (4), Kings Hwy (F, only during the rehab)

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

Technically, Brooklyn Bridge and Bowling Green aren't relays since the cabs themselves don't reverse direction. (The trains turn around, so you'd have the same leading car even though the train is operating in the reverse direction.)

I think a nice QoL improvement would be to extend it to 14 St, for access to Penn Station and the (L).

That would be an interesting improvement. Let's hope that if this were ever implemented, the MTA doesn't always schedule overnight construction to make the (3) run local.

Edited by agar io

Now as to relays from a few posts back, yes, the F relays at 179. Always does. It arrives on the east bound platform and departs from the westbound platform. relays includes:

Bronx: 205 (D), Parkcester (6)

Manhattan: 168th (C), Brooklyn Bridge (6), Bowling Green (5), Broad St (J), Chambers (J and M when needed)

(not sure about overnight 3 train)

Queens: 71/Forest Hills (M)(R), 179 (F, E), Broad Channel (Rockaway Blvd-Summer weekends only)Rock Pk Shuttle

Brooklyn: Church Ave (G), Euclid (C and Lefferts Shuttle), Utica (4), Kings Hwy (F, only during the rehab)

Sometimes when there are no trains between Bedford Park and 205th Street, they'll send a (D) train onto the middle track at Bedford Park, then wrong rail from there to 205th so that the crew won't have to relay.

Sometimes when there are no trains between Bedford Park and 205th Street, they'll send a (D) train onto the middle track at Bedford Park, then wrong rail from there to 205th so that the crew won't have to relay.

Wow. That’s one way to do it. I don’t suppose the (N) could do that from 86 Street if that long stretch of track to Coney Island were out of service due to a train with mechanical problems.

I've had to do that. But the middle was occupied at Bedford pk and had to wrong rail into it.

The buffer period where subway service shifts from the daytime service patterns to the late night service pattern is really interesting. I've been looking at the Transit app and noticed that on Broadway:

from roughly 9-10, it follows the daytime service pattern: (N)(Q) express, (R)(W) local

from roughly 10-11 the (W) stops running, the (N) is express and the (Q)(R) are the locals

after 11 the (R) stops running, (N)(Q) local

For example, at Prince Street right now, the next Brooklyn bound (R) is 3 minutes away, followed by a Brooklyn bound (Q) 10 minutes away.

Thats not correct. The first (Q) to run local Manhattan leaves 96th Street at 23:23 and 23:02 out of Coney Island.

After the (W) ends the (R) runs local by itself until 11 PM. The first Southbound (N) Local local is the first one to go via Montague/4th Avenue local. The first northbound (N) local on Broadway however is the last one to go via the Manhattan Bridge.

Edited by Daniel The Cool

Thats not correct. The first (Q) to run local Manhattan leaves 96th Street at 23:23 and 23:02 out of Coney Island.

After the (W) ends the (R) runs local by itself until 11 PM. The first Southbound (N) Local local is the first one to go via Montague/4th Avenue local. The first northbound (N) local on Broadway however is the last one to go via the Manhattan Bridge.

Then the MTA has some serious issues with its GTFS data that need to be fixed...

Are there any put-in's at Canal St for tomorrow's extra service for the (W) as well as on Sunday?

Also, some of the (7) trains that usually terminate at Mets-Wilets Point were changed to 111 St during the rush hour. 

Edited by CH3348

Before you foamers complain, if you are riding the (4) today, there are no codes for the (4) to E 180 St. Most (4) s are signed as going to 149th Street.

NMPlHT6.jpg

This list was made by Green Eggs'n Pelham. It's buried deep in there so conductors wouldn't know the code.

Before you foamers complain, if you are riding the (4) today, there are no codes for the (4) to E 180 St. Most (4) s are signed as going to 149th Street.

<pic removed>

This list was made by Green Eggs'n Pelham. It's buried deep in there so conductors wouldn't know the code.

Interesting. There were at one point in time, options to both E 180 Street and Dyre Av for the (4) trains, as evidenced by the following videos:

Whether they were removed in system updates remains to be seen.

I spotted some (M) trains to B'way Junction that has this program:

"VIA 63 ST/6 AV LOCAL"

"BWAY BKLYN LCL"

"BROADWAY JUNCTION" (This part scrolls)

Others had their usual 53 ST/6 AV LOCAL reading.

There doesn't seem to be a program from Broadway Junction as the conductor/operator made manual announcements until Myrtle-Broadway.

Edited by S78 via Hylan

Today one of the (4) trains went express from 3rd Ave-149th to E180. it passed the local N/B (4) I was on at Simpson street. Thought it was odd the send the (4) right behind the one I was on express rather than the first train.

Today I noticed that when the 142A's brakes release the cars sightly lift up by a couple of inches, all these years I been riding those cars and I just noticed that today.