SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Does anyone know why specifically they are running (4) via the (5)? Like what type of construction could they be doing that would suspend the entire Jerome Ave line? I saw a truckbed loaded with tracks between 149th st and 161st but if its a crane operation, they dont need to suspend (4) service entirely.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone know why specifically they are running (4) via the (5)? Like what type of construction could they be doing that would suspend the entire Jerome Ave line? I saw a truckbed loaded with tracks between 149th st and 161st but if its a crane operation, they dont need to suspend (4) service entirely.

Track replacement

Ehhh i thought it would last for a year and take it off, ohhh was it the (Q) train that got struck by the tree near Cortelyou Rd? I thought a tree just fell not an actual train got struck.

Yes. The tree fell but damaged the top of the train. 

http://nypost.com/2017/03/02/downed-tree-causes-morning-subway-chaos/

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/17021834_1349227268474814_8163305329320846347_n.jpg?oh=5c9d0d4bf66e3f47fd6fd18fa9de85cd&oe=593927B3

Edited by CH3348

So does this mean that there's going to be a 10-car consist where half the train is wrapped and half the train isn't?

Oh well, I guess people will shrug it off as the typical MTA, only wrapping half the train...

So does this mean that there's going to be a 10-car consist where half the train is wrapped and half the train isn't?

There's only 1 train now that's advertised for New Yorkers and tourists on the (Q).  But, it won't last long. 

The other half of the train is being fixed for damages and wrapped removed. 

Edited by CH3348

I thought local trains can't use the express track at 57th street when it comes from 59th street. My (W) has shifted to the express track at 57th street due to a delay on the (N) there.

They actually can. You're mixing it up with trains to/from 63rd Street that cannot use the local tracks at 57th Street.

Edited by Daniel The Cool

They actually can. You're mixing it up with trains to/from 63rd Street that cannot use the local tracks at 57th Street.

At some point, it was mentioned that the signalling (or punch boxes) may prevent it.

68e530de620278c1835b44f950584df1.jpg

It looks like real time data is now available for Broadway Lines. It's not pictured, but I do beleive (B)(D)(F)(M) trains are being tested...

Transit app's GO feature allows riders to share real times based on GPS location. I made a suggestion on Twitter that conductors should have the app running in their cabs as an interim, zero dollar real time solution.

#MassTransitHonchkrow ????

Getting to know the Hudson Valley one bus stop at a time... ????????

Edited by MassTransitHonchkrow

I think a nice QoL improvement would be to extend it to 14 St, for access to Penn Station and the (L).

That would make sense for the (3) to run to at least 14th Street (or even Chambers) during the late night hours. 

That would be an interesting improvement. Let's hope that if this were ever implemented, the MTA doesn't always schedule overnight construction to make the (3) run local.

Actually, having all three lines running local in the overnight would not be a bad idea, especially if the (3) ran to Chambers because then it would give the core portion of the 7th Avenue Line (Chambers-96th) a combined 9 TPH on the local.  

Transit app's GO feature allows riders to share real times based on GPS location. I made a suggestion on Twitter that conductors should have the app running in their cabs as an interim, zero dollar real time solution.

#MassTransitHonchkrow [emoji563]

Getting to know the Hudson Valley one bus stop at a time... [emoji611][emoji591]

I honestly think that is the best idea you've had yet on this forum...

That would make sense for the (3) to run to at least 14th Street (or even Chambers) during the late night hours.

Actually, having all three lines running local in the overnight would not be a bad idea, especially if the (3) ran to Chambers because then it would give the core portion of the 7th Avenue Line (Chambers-96th) a combined 9 TPH on the local.

Is 9 TPH really necessary during the late nights? We can already expand to 8 TPH with just the (1) and (2).

Is 9 TPH really necessary during the late nights? We can already expand to 8 TPH with just the (1) and (2).

On Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights in particular, I can see that.  If people in the core area (Chambers-96th) know there is a train every 5-7 minutes, it might encourage more of them to use the subways to get to and from the clubs or other areas they go for nights out even more than now.  

SEPTA in Philly went from bus service in the overnights seven days a week to having the Market-Frankford and Broad Street Lines run in the overnights on Friday and Saturday because of demand with growing nightlife.

I honestly think that is the best idea you've had yet on this forum...

That would be a good idea but train crews are not allowed any electronic devices in use while operating. Now the new train location system being installed would work well for the app.....

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

That would be a good idea but train crews are not allowed any electronic devices in use while operating. Now the new train location system being installed would work well for the app.....

Strap onto the window between the cars a locked-down Android device with the app installed.

I thought this was me, but this has been going on probably since the updates.

Whenever I'm on an uptown (F) exiting Broadway-Lafayette, the announcements go on to say "This is a Queens......" before announcing it is at West 4th Street without moving a single inch.

(MTA): screwing up announcements since 2013.

I thought this was me, but this has been going on probably since the updates.

Whenever I'm on an uptown (F) exiting Broadway-Lafayette, the announcements go on to say "This is a Queens......" before announcing it is at West 4th Street without moving a single inch.

(MTA): screwing up announcements since 2013.

Yup, thats a glitch since the SAS update

Woah. R62a #2056 has speakers on the side of it. Only that car tho. Rest of the train didn't have any. I was waiting at grand central and I was like where's that coming from cuz there were no other trains except a Uptown R62A (6) sitting in the station.

Woah. R62a #2056 has speakers on the side of it. Only that car tho. Rest of the train didn't have any. I was waiting at grand central and I was like where's that coming from cuz there were no other trains except a Uptown R62A (6) sitting in the station.

2009 also has exterior speakers. The whole fleet was supposed to get them fitted on, but for sone reason they stopped after a handful of cars

2009 also has exterior speakers. The whole fleet was supposed to get them fitted on, but for sone reason they stopped after a handful of cars

Actually, it was limited to the fleet that then ran on the 4. We're talking back in the mid 90's. The fleet has shuffled around since then.