SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Completely random question, but what do y'all think the least used transfer in the system is? (Excluding local-express and same-track transfers, of course)

If you ask me, I think some of the least used transfers are:

• Court Street/Borough Hall since there is Atlantic Avenue–Barclays Center.
  • Chambers Street/Brooklyn Bridge–City Hall since there are transfers Canal Street and Fulton Street to cover for it.
  • Franklin Avenue, Botanic Garden/Franklin Avenue since the transfers are not very good (Franklin Avenue only has the (C)) or are covered by better options like Atlantic Avenue–Barclays Center and Fulton Street.
  • 14 Street between the (1)(2)(3) and (F)(M) since nobody that has used it before will ever want to attempt it again.
  • Court Square–23 Street/Court Square between the (E)(M) and (7) because once you’ve used it, you will swear not to use it ever again.

But surprise me; my knowledge is pretty deficient in this area.

Less so than Jamaica Center, South Ferry, and West 8th Street? You think so?

I wouldn’t count Jamaica Center and West 8 Street since they are the same line. They are the same line in the sense that the (A) and (C) run on the same line between 168 Street and Euclid Avenue.

14th Street and Court Square would seem to be logical, but they're always packed. Same thing with the Franklin Avenue Shuttle ones (especially the one to the Fulton Line). Borough Hall is a good call, though.

The Canal Street (6)-(J)(Z) transfer might take it, if we can count specific transfers within a larger station.

• Chambers Street/Brooklyn Bridge–City Hall since there are transfers Canal Street and Fulton Street to cover for it.
  • Franklin Avenue, Botanic Garden/Franklin Avenue since the transfers are not very good (Franklin Avenue only has the (C)) or are covered by better options like Atlantic Avenue–Barclays Center and Fulton Street.
  • 14 Street between the (1)(2)(3) and (F)(M) since nobody that has used it before will ever want to attempt it again.
  • Court Square–23 Street/Court Square between the (E)(M) and (7) because once you’ve used it, you will swear not to use it ever again.

I wouldn’t count Jamaica Center and West 8 Street since they are the same line. They are the same line in the sense that the (A) and (C) run on the same line between 168 Street and Euclid Avenue.

I have to disagree with the 14th Street, Brooklyn Bridge and Franklin Avenue transfers. I used those transfers a great amount of times and many people uses those transfers. 

Edited by Daniel The Cool

how about Park Place (2)(3) and Chambers St (A)(C) ? already covered by Fulton st one stop away.. or even the Times Sq (S) to (7)

The least used one would have to be the (7) to the Times Square (S).  Only those specifically looking to get out at Madison or Vanderbilt Avenue would be looking for that transfer since otherwise, you can just take the (7) straight. 

The shuttle really is redundant with the (7) running on top of it...

If it were up to me, I would reconnect both ends of the shuttle to Lexington and 7th Avenue and run thru service. However, this would require a expensive rebuild and extension of platforms.

Speaking of which, is the reason why 145 St was never extended to accommodate 10 cars was because of the switches at both ends?

Speaking of which, is the reason why 145 St was never extended to accommodate 10 cars was because of the switches at both ends?

Yeah, the switches were too close on either end to extend it a meaningful amount.

The shuttle may seem redundant, but it gets used heavily.

It really shouldn't, though, since it's slower than the (7). Although I suppose if everyone took the (7), there'd be value in taking the (S) since it'd be less crowded :P

how about Park Place (2)(3) and Chambers St (A)(C) ? already covered by Fulton st one stop away.. or even the Times Sq (S) to (7)

I find the Park Place - Chambers transfer easier that the Fulton Street one.

The transfers between the (A)(C) and (4) at Fulton along with the Brooklyn Bound (J) are the easiest transfers at Fulton, the others are still an PITA.

- Agree with Borough Hall....

- Can't speak on this next one; Chambers (J) & Brooklyn Bridge - City Hall are stations I seldom get off at....

- Disagree with the passenger activity b/w subway lines at Franklin.... Just the xferring b/w the 2/3 to the 4/5 on the same platform would easily disprove that.... Also, don't underestimate the xferring b/w the (S) & the IRT lines.....

- Undecided with 14th st; I can't really tell who's [gunning for the (L) from either of those 2 trunk lines], from [who's gunning from the 6th av line to the 7th av line (or vice versa)]....

- Undecided with Court Sq (specifically b/w the E/M & the 7).... Simply because I haven't thought about it.

xfers to the (G) from either of them though, now that passenger activity b/w subway lines is heavy....

I just... can't with Fulton st.... Too many people seemingly walking aimlessly like they don't know where the f*** they're going; some of which I believe aren't all tourists either.....

I also favor Park place....

So I disembark the (J) at Sutphin, as I proceed to exit, I notice a large group of travelers, mostly young white ladies, I'd say about mid-late teens with suitcases (presumably coming from JFK) waiting near the turnstiles. As I exit, one of them attempts to hop it, and what amazes me was that her party was actually cheering her on rather than seeking assistance or helping her out. I looked at her in disbelief and just went about my business...

Edited by S78 via Hylan

The transfers between the (A)(C) and (4) at Fulton along with the Brooklyn Bound (J) are the easiest transfers at Fulton, the others are still an PITA.

I like the fact that when I get off the X17 at Park Place, I can run down the stairs, and have my choice of either the (A)(C) or (2)(3). Comes in handy for when there's delays because you basically just run up one flight of stairs and then down another.

Edited by checkmatechamp13

God Fulton is Terrible. If the (A)(C) platform didn't exist a lot of the transfers simply wouldn't exist too. People have to go up down left right. To get from the Brooklyn Bound (J) platform to the Broad St bound platform is hard enough at that station. Canal Street on the Broadway Line is another station that has a confusing set up. There are not enough signage at station platforms, and a lot of the transfers require going via the (N) and (Q) Platforms

Meh Fulton is OK for the most part in my experience. The only problems I have with it are the walk to the (2)(3) and (4)(5) and trying to find the correct platform on the (J). Shit transferring to the (J) at Fulton Street is so confusing I once decided to just go downtown to Broad Street and transfer to an uptown train.