SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't get bent out of shape w/Joel... that's what he does....

(and then he's going to say "my sides are in orbit")

No, he's going to say, "Someone's feeling butthurt from being called a foamer"...Translation: I just insulted you.

:lol:

Joel, are you sure that you weren't referring to a different member? I just went through the effort of searching through all of the posts that ttcsubwayfan has made (on his profile) and none of them contained the word "Bombardier".

Joel, are you sure that you weren't referring to a different member? I just went through the effort of searching through all of the posts that ttcsubwayfan has made (on his profile) and none of them contained the word "Bombardier".

I meant to say the posts that he "liked" not the posts that he made. Whoops.

A few hours ago, there was some kind of incident at President on the (2) that I rode. Two guys were fighting and it ended up with one of them stabbed. The T/O had everyone exit one end of the train and go into the other since the car next to the T/O's cab had blood over the seats.

I had to wait for the next (2) since that train was going express stopping at Church Av, then Flatbush Avenue.

Now, I have second thoughts on riding the (2) home at night.....

were you on the same car or the one next to it? Thank god you are ok.

Like I wrote in the o/t random thoughts thread, there was a stabbing on my train years back, victim looked like early 20s, and this was during the day. I don't think it makes a difference if it can happen randomly. In my case, they had to run the n/b side as a shuttle to go back and forth b/w FB and President st. Wouldn't surprise me if it was gang related...

Edited by Grand Concourse

Out of boredom I decided to research the types of couplers used in the subway cars (don't mind me, I do things like this lol) and came across this...

R1-R9 uses the WABCO H2A

R10-R68A (excluding the R44 & R46) uses the WABCO H2C

What kind of couplers are used on the R44 & 46s and on the NTTs?

Bring on the foam:

Looks like somebody decided to use the (A) program instead of the (F) to Euclid...(not my video BTW)

Not really foaming at all.

First of all, the (A) was actually the first line to get R160s. They were removed because they were unable to go to Far Rockaway, because the trains literally sucked all of the juice out the rail, leaving the R44/46s literally no power to run on. It has been fixed now.

Second of all, there was also one signed up as an (S) Lefferts Shuttle. Heard some rumors about them being signed up as (C) and (E) also.

were you on the same car or the one next to it? Thank god you are ok.

Like I wrote in the o/t random thoughts thread, there was a stabbing on my train years back, victim looked like early 20s, and this was during the day. I don't think it makes a difference if it can happen randomly. In my case, they had to run the n/b side as a shuttle to go back and forth b/w FB and President st. Wouldn't surprise me if it was gang related...

I was a few cars down, but everyone and myself walked by to see what happened and that's how I figured it out. I mean, I wasn't in any serious danger, but the situation could have been much worse.

Here's a random thought: the (5) train has one of the most complicated and interesting schedules in my opinion. On the off chance that anyone's curious, I'll explain basically what happens in pretty simple terms:

Weekday northbound (5) trains:

12:00 Midnight - 5:40 AM: shuttle between E 180 St and Dyre Av (note that a few shuttles continue to run until 6:40 AM)

5:50 AM - 3:22 PM: between Flatbush Av and Dyre Av, Bronx Local, with some trains originating at New Lots Av, Utica Av, and Bowling green; a few trains short-turn at E 180 St

3:30 PM - 4:06 PM: between Flatbush Av and Dyre Av, Bronx Express

4:10 PM - 5:52 PM: between Flatbush Av and Dyre Av or Nereid Av-238 St, Bronx Express. During this time, a total of seven trains originate at Utica Av and a few at Bowling Green.

5:58 PM - 6:49 PM: between Flatbush Av and Dyre Av, Bronx Express

6:57 PM - 8:28 PM: between Flatbush Av and Dyre Av, Bronx Local

9:04 PM - 11:08 PM: between Bowling Green and Dyre Av, Bronx Local

Weekday southbound (5) trains:

10:13 PM - 4:59 AM: shuttle between Dyre Av and E 180 St

5:10 AM: - 5:52 AM: between Dyre Av and Flatbush Av, Bronx Local, one train at 5:13 originates at E 180 St

6:03 AM - 6:16 AM: between Dyre Av and Flatbush Av, Bronx Express

6:21 AM - 8:16 AM: between Dyre Av or Nereid Av-238 St and Flatbush Av, Bronx Express, with some trains terminating at Utica Av or Bowling Green. Interestingly, there is one train that originates at 125 St.

8:22 AM - 8:53 AM: between Dyre Av and Flatbush Av, Bronx Express, with one train terminating at Bowling Green

8:58 AM - 2:50 PM: between Dyre Av and Flatbush Av, Bronx Local

2:54 PM - 7:42 PM: between Dyre Av and Flatbush Av, Bronx Local, with some trains terminating at Utica Av and Bowing Green; some trains originate at E 180 St. Note that the last four of these trains terminate at New Lots Av.

7:53 PM - 10:02 PM: between Dyre Av and Bowling Green, Bronx Local

*Times are based on when the train leaves its terminal*

Edited by TheSubwayStation

Is there an R46 (C) route to 2nd avenue? I know there was one for the (V) but I have yet to see one from the (C).

Yes. In fact, there are two of them, depending on whether or not the signs were updated.

Old:

(C) to 2 AV/MANHTN

(C) 8 AV LOCAL

New:

(C) LOWER EAST SIDE

(C) 2 AV

(C) 8 AV LCL

There are clips on YouTube that show both of these readings.

I made this to show how easy ti is on MTA's part to create a F to lefferts program.

Wow! That sounds really good! Unfortunately, the way this community works, if someone (before the MTA announced this G.O) suggested sending the (F) to Lefferts, everybody would call that person such a big foamer...I hate how so many people try to make themselves feel better about themselves by putting down others.

Yes. In fact, there are two of them, depending on whether or not the signs were updated.

Old:

(C) to 2 AV/MANHTN

(C) 8 AV LOCAL

New:

(C) LOWER EAST SIDE

(C) 2 AV

(C) 8 AV LCL

There are clips on YouTube that show both of these readings.

Thanks.

I made this to show how easy ti is on MTA's part to create a F to lefferts program.

<video removed>

Creating the recordings is the easy part. All you need is someone from Bloomberg's Gang to record a couple of lines and save the file in the format of their choosing. (Sometimes, you don't even need that. Look at the splice job on the 4's to Burnside and L to Lorimer St.)

The hard part comes about when they have to code the route into the computers so it displays correctly on the FINDs and/or the interior/exterior signs and the announcements play at the appropriate distances. Then that code has to be inserted into the nearly 1,700 160s scattered among three different yards. And that update can only happen when the trains are out of service. It's not as though these things are updated via WiFi (which in my opinion is quite unfortunate). Even if Transit were to make a new route option today, it would probably take like a month at the least to be distributed to most of the cars.

3:30 PM - 4:06 PM: between Flatbush Av and Dyre Av, Bronx Express

That 3:30PM out of Flatbush is almost NEVER an express run in the Bronx. By the time it gets to 3 Av, there are still LITE trains coming down the middle track, which deadhead to the Bowling Green loop and get used as gap trains for the PM rush. They don't start running the express trains until the last southbound train has cleared the middle track, so it's really more like the 3:55PM out of Flatbush.

Also note that those N/B trains that terminate at E180 at the end of the AM rush sometimes make an express run from 3 Av-E180 if there's a 2 right behind it. And those last Brooklyn S/Bs can terminate at either Utica or New Lots depending on where they want to lay it up and if they will make a connection to a 3 at Utica. Crews are instructed to sign up the trains as going to Utica unless/until we are told otherwise, even though the countdown clocks all announce New Lots, which often leads to disputes with the customers when we actually try to clean out the trains.

You didn't touch on the whole Nereid-bound 5 train issue. Those trains will fill in whatever White Plains Rd service is needed at the time. If it makes a connection with a 2 at E180, the 5 will most likely get sent up the middle to Gun Hill Rd and either terminate, or cross over to the local after Gun Hill and make the rest of the stops to 238. And if there's no 2 in sight, it will make all local stops to 241 and get sent back south as a 2 (241 finally caught on to Flatbush's tricks!)

Edited by Snowblock

And those last Brooklyn S/Bs can terminate at either Utica or New Lots depending on where they want to lay it up and if they will make a connection to a 3 at Utica. Crews are instructed to sign up the trains as going to Utica unless/until we are told otherwise, even though the countdown clocks all announce New Lots, which often leads to disputes with the customers when we actually try to clean out the trains.[/Quote]

Story of my life right here. Aren't there also some (4) and/or (5) trains to New Lots at the end of AM Rush that go through the same thing?

And if there's no 2 in sight, it will make all local stops to 241 and get sent back south as a 2 (241 finally caught on to Flatbush's tricks!)

[/Quote]

lol, I saw this once.

That 3:30PM out of Flatbush is almost NEVER an express run in the Bronx. By the time it gets to 3 Av, there are still LITE trains coming down the middle track, which deadhead to the Bowling Green loop and get used as gap trains for the PM rush. They don't start running the express trains until the last southbound train has cleared the middle track, so it's really more like the 3:55PM out of Flatbush.

Also note that those N/B trains that terminate at E180 at the end of the AM rush sometimes make an express run from 3 Av-E180 if there's a 2 right behind it. And those last Brooklyn S/Bs can terminate at either Utica or New Lots depending on where they want to lay it up and if they will make a connection to a 3 at Utica. Crews are instructed to sign up the trains as going to Utica unless/until we are told otherwise, even though the countdown clocks all announce New Lots, which often leads to disputes with the customers when we actually try to clean out the trains.

You didn't touch on the whole Nereid-bound 5 train issue. Those trains will fill in whatever White Plains Rd service is needed at the time. If it makes a connection with a 2 at E180, the 5 will most likely get sent up the middle to Gun Hill Rd and either terminate, or cross over to the local after Gun Hill and make the rest of the stops to 238. And if there's no 2 in sight, it will make all local stops to 241 and get sent back south as a 2 (241 finally caught on to Flatbush's tricks!)

I was just basing my information off of the schedule, so I didn't know about stuff like this.

The (2) AND (5) now show the trips heading to New Lots and Utica Avenue.

http://www.mta.info/...e/pdf/t2cur.pdf

http://www.mta.info/...e/pdf/t5cur.pdf

Changes:

The last (5) TO Flatbush leaves Dyre Avenue at 7:02 now.

Evening (5) service runs to Utica Avenue to Brooklyn Only, to the Bronx evening service orginates at Flatbush Avenue

Some Early rush hour service operates to/from Utica Avenue

All trains to the bronx during rush hour except for the last two trips from Utica Avenue terminate at E.180 Street

The 4 still doesnt show those trips to New Lots Rush Hours

Only to Crown Heights? I thought (5) trains ended at Franklin as well. I must have been seeing things.

Only to Crown Heights? I thought (5) trains ended at Franklin as well. I must have been seeing things.

No those trips that look like they terminate at Franklin are the ones that went past to Utica Avenue. Oh theres an error on the (5) timetable

It shows the (5) leaving on the flatbush Avenue slot like this:

5:05PM, 5:01,7:17, 5:09, 5:15pm

Also the times are wrong on the 7:17 trip

Look

7:17# 5:20 5:26 5:33 5:38 5:49 6:01 6:09 6:17 — 6:30

Edited by Q23 Central Terminal