SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just going to leave this here:

17522566_291976067902534_489815538588000

Making it a Dingbat type of font would have save a lot of trouble. Even grouped paths can fall apart if using the wrong tool (direct selection in Illustrator, for example). In Illustrator, converting the wheelchair to a symbol and then using the symbol instead of the path would have saved a lot of trouble.

I'm just going to leave this here:

<pic removed>

I'm not surprised in the slightest. As CenSin stated, these should be converted to symbols in Illustrator to prevent these accidents from happening. That's what I've done for my maps over the years and it saves a lot of trouble with multiple objects.

Did they return the new shortened announcments onto a R142?

Yes. It looks like 6640 and company have the updated new announcements. They are the same as the original version, except all transfers are now a combination of new "transfer to the..." portion and the current transfers, instead of the slice and dice Ettinger transfers.

So apparently there's a messed up (F) Train program when it goes via Chambers Street. It says 6 Av Local/56 Street. 

Again, not surprised, just disappointed.

One thing i always hated is being on a northbound  (4) and soon as we pick up speed we come to a stop at nostrand ave to let a slow as  (5) cross ahead....Why they just dont let that  (4) fly thru the switch and then let a  (5) go....I know the schedule plays a part but i just hate that

They're doing the shortened announcements again??? Its not gonna save time at the big stations but the lower ridership ones might get a few seconds here and there.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

I think its just that one set that had them before got updated for SAS

Is there any reason for bringing back the shortened announcements?  I thought, as did many others here, that it was another failed test program.

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Either that or keep trying and ignore the results.

I actually don't care about these announcement changes anymore. I just wish they'd get some kind of consistency with the recordings. It sounds completely unprofessional with the many voice changes in a 15 second announcement. We really shouldn't hear stuff like this on an arriving and departing announcement:

Arriving

Campion: Atlantic Av-Barclays Center.

Cowdery: Transfer to the...

Pellett: (B)(D)(N)(Q) and (R) trains.

Cowdery: Connect to the Long Island Railroad.

Departing

Cowdery: (5) express to Utica Av. Next stop:

Ettinger: Franklin Av

Pellett: Stand clear of the closing doors.

Edited by Lance

Making it a Dingbat type of font would have save a lot of trouble. Even grouped paths can fall apart if using the wrong tool (direct selection in Illustrator, for example). In Illustrator, converting the wheelchair to a symbol and then using the symbol instead of the path would have saved a lot of trouble.

Does anyone notice the wheel isn't connected to the chair?

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

Shifting gears, does anyone know of any visual real-time/schedule-based train tracker websites or apps? I know there was LiveTrain NYC, but that has since been abandoned.

I use BlipRail. The IRT lines (save for the 7) and the L goes off the ATS system and generally shows the trains in real-time. All the other lines go off the schedule and all of the trains are overlaid over the map.

The non-ATS lines can also be updated to their current location by any user...think of it like Waze.

It's Android only though.

I use BlipRail. The IRT lines (save for the 7) and the L goes off the ATS system and generally shows the trains in real-time. All the other lines go off the schedule and all of the trains are overlaid over the map.

The non-ATS lines can also be updated to their current location by any user...think of it like Waze.

It's Android only though.

Looks interesting. Of course, it's for Android though.  -_-

How come I don't see no countdown clocks along Brighton line

There are clocks at DeKalb Ave (although I don't know if they're online yet).  AFAIK, only 4th Avenue in Brooklyn has these for now; Brighton, Sea Beach, West End, and Culver will see them sooner or later.