SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was only saying that a track connection should have been maintained for reroutes.

Wouldn't be much to reroute.

Can't send trains off the bridge down to lower Nassau since the trains would be too long to actually fit in the station. If there ever was a problem along Nassau St, trains can easily get turned back at Essex St.

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place for it, but could someone snap some photos of Cedar Street between West & Washington? It's now open to public traffic (auto & pedestrian) for the first time since 9/11/01. I think the southwest staircase of Liberty Park might be open, but no one can confirm as of yet. You don't have to go far out of your way, but if you're around FiDi or BPC anyway it would be nice...

Can't send trains off the bridge down to lower Nassau since the trains would be too long to actually fit in the station. If there ever was a problem along Nassau St, trains can easily get turned back at Essex St.

That's not what I was trying to say, I said if there was every a problem north of Essex Street, (J) trains could be rerouted via the Bridge to Bay Parkway, then back up through Montague.

Turtle, on 02 Apr 2017 - 6:39 PM, said:

8 car <R> train? It might be an operational nightmare but it would help 4th Avenue quite a bit. Edited by paulrivera

If Subway went to Staten Island how would they have handled it with today's service patterns?

If they used the turn out from the 4th Ave line, the (D) or the (N) would have to be local because they'd probably send a route to Staten Island via 4th Ave Express.

If they extended a Fort Hamilton Parkway line from the Culver line, where would it have branched off? and what service could they have used. Would the (F) have gone to Staten Island and the (G) to Coney Island?

I rode three different car classes on the (7) today, R33ML, 62A and R188s  :D  :D

I finally rode a Redbird on the (7) line, they are my favorite cars and I rode them on all the IRT main line routes used them back in the days but never on the (7). The 33ML makes air noises more frequently than the R32s, I noticed that when riding them as an adult today but never noticed that as a kid, TBH the redbirds "feel" older than the 32s do even though they are the same age, IDK maybe its the red paint and the 32s are sliver like the rest of the fleet. 

Edited by trainfan22

If Subway went to Staten Island how would they have handled it with today's service patterns?

If they used the turn out from the 4th Ave line, the (D) or the (N) would have to be local because they'd probably send a route to Staten Island via 4th Ave Express.

If they extended a Fort Hamilton Parkway line from the Culver line, where would it have branched off? and what service could they have used. Would the (F) have gone to Staten Island and the (G) to Coney Island?

There were two proposals for a Staten Island Tunnel, both of which used the BMT Fourth Ave Line. The northern route diverges from the BMT Fourth Ave Line local tracks south of 59 St and would have run to Tompkinsville. An incomplete tunnel still exists today. The southern route would be an extension of the BMT line to Grasmere via the ROW currently occupied by the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge. The BMT 4th Ave line tracks were extended from 86 St to a temporary terminal at 95 St, and it's assumed that the express tracks would have been extended south from 59 St along the east side of 4 Ave.

The most likely pattern is simply extending the local tracks to Staten Island, making the services along the BMT 4 Ave

• (D) unchanged
  • (N) unchanged
  • (R) extended to SI
  • (W) extended to SI

Staten Island via the Culver line is too circuitous compared to the BMT line, so it was never considered.

There were two proposals for a Staten Island Tunnel, both of which used the BMT Fourth Ave Line. The northern route diverges from the BMT Fourth Ave Line local tracks south of 59 St and would have run to Tompkinsville. An incomplete tunnel still exists today. The southern route would be an extension of the BMT line to Grasmere via the ROW currently occupied by the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge. The BMT 4th Ave line tracks were extended from 86 St to a temporary terminal at 95 St, and it's assumed that the express tracks would have been extended south from 59 St along the east side of 4 Ave.

The most likely pattern is simply extending the local tracks to Staten Island, making the services along the BMT 4 Ave

• (D) unchanged
  • (N) unchanged
  • (R) extended to SI
  • (W) extended to SI

Staten Island via the Culver line is too circuitous compared to the BMT line, so it was never considered.

i think he is basing it off the old proposal that had the tunnel split off at 59th street the other one through 95th is more simple to build plus the SIR will have a lot of work for integration with the subway 

• (D) unchanged
  • (N) unchanged
  • (R) extended to SI
  • (W) extended to SI

I think the 2nd Subway plans had a Fort Hamilton Parkway line to Staten Island.

i think he is basing it off the old proposal that had the tunnel split off at 59th street the other one through 95th is more simple to build plus the SIR will have a lot of work for integration with the subway 

Correct, I remember a plan with a turn off south of 59th Street. In the case that they'd have to work on the SIRit's possible that they could build a line to a terminal transfer station with the SIR as a cost saving measure. But not as a big intermodal station, but like a quick platform to platform transfer.

I rode three different car classes on the (7) today, R33ML, 62A and R188s :D:D

I finally rode a Redbird on the (7) line, they are my favorite cars and I rode them on all the IRT main line routes used them back in the days but never on the (7). The 33ML makes air noises more frequently than the R32s, I noticed that when riding them as an adult today but never noticed that as a kid, TBH the redbirds "feel" older than the 32s do even though they are the same age, IDK maybe its the red paint and the 32s are sliver like the rest of the fleet.

Wait... R33ML? Are they running nostalgia runs or something?

EDIT: I just realized baseball season started lol

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Edited by Tonyboy515

• (D) unchanged
  • (N) unchanged
  • (R) extended to SI
  • (W) extended to SI

It was more than just considered. If WW2 doesn't happen, it gets built...

That's not what I was trying to say, I said if there was every a problem north of Essex Street, (J) trains could be rerouted via the Bridge to Bay Parkway, then back up through Montague.

Exactly.  You even could do that by only connecting the Brooklyn-bound track of the Manny B to the line.

Countdown clocks are live at DeKalb Avenue...

And 77th Street too...

17499193_10211310196844020_9497975273809

I know I'm replying a little late, but I went to DeKalb Ave and Cortlandt St last week. The displays were on, but I know for a fact that they weren't displaying any countdowns. I even snapped a pic of the "stop the spread" advertisement at Cortlandt, which is now also posted on wikipedia:

640px-Cortlandt_new_countdown_Mar_2017.j

But judging by the below post, I could have been wrong.

Two days ago, the countdown clocks at 36 Street in Brooklyn were enabled for testing. 

Edited by agar io

I know I'm replying a little late, but I went to DeKalb Ave and Cortlandt St last week. The displays were on, but I know for a fact that they weren't displaying any countdowns. I even snapped a pic of the "stop the spread" advertisement at Cortlandt, which is now also posted on wikipedia:

640px-Cortlandt_new_countdown_Mar_2017.j

But judging by the below post, I could have been wrong.

I don't know if Cortlandt was ever fully activated but I do know DeKalb was on for at least a day and then shut down because it was glitching (someone on FB posted photos of it)

Funny… the URL reads “pix11.com/2017/04/02/woman-killed-by-r-train-after-dropping-phone-onto-tracks/amp/” but the headline reads “Girl retrieving phone that fell on subway tracks hit by R train, killed.”

REGO PARK, Queens — A 13-year-old was struck and killed by a train while trying to retrieve her cellphone from the tracks in Queens Sunday afternoon.

Police said Dina Kadribasic was on the 63rd Drive-Rego Park platform waiting for a southbound R train around 4 p.m. when she dropped her phone. Witnesses said she climbed onto the tracks to grab the phone when she was hit.

Then again, based on photos of her online, she looks like a woman. What a quick ager.

I saw the video of them trying to get her out. I have no clue what the point of rocking a heavy R46 back and forth is going to do.

Worse, they might have slipped and let the train come crashing down chopping up what was left of her. Moving the train would have probably mangled her body more.

:(  :(....When ppl gonna learn that going on the tracks to get things they drop could be the last decision they make....RIP to that young girl...Me personally they should have a age limit to ride the subway...Riding the subway at 13 in my opinion is to young....Age limit should be at least 18...

:(  :(....When ppl gonna learn that going on the tracks to get things they drop could be the last decision they make....RIP to that young girl...Me personally they should have a age limit to ride the subway...Riding the subway at 13 in my opinion is to young....Age limit should be at least 18...

:huh: