SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

It now says "86 St" (just without the Gravesend part and via Whitehall St)

What the hell are they thinking? Did they just unilaterally forget the (W) shares trackage with the (R) which also stops at an 86 Street?

That's just asking for trouble...

Edited by Around the Horn

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For some reason, I didn't see any new clocks at Grand Av or Elmhurst Av.

There are clocks at both stations, as well as Roosevelt Ave, on mezannine and platform levels. They have been there for a few months, but are curremtly black.

On another note, why are there next train indicators at Roosevelt Ave on the ramp at the east end of the mezzanine? I'm talking about the kind you find at terminals like at 57th st (F) which are not used anymore

There are clocks at both stations, as well as Roosevelt Ave, on mezannine and platform levels. They have been there for a few months, but are curremtly black.RestrictOnTheHanger, on 06 Apr 2017 - 11:40 PM, said:

Thanks for the correction. There is indeed a clock at Grand Av, and I saw it today at the Broadway end of the platform. I must not have seen it.

On another note, why are there next train indicators at Roosevelt Ave on the ramp at the east end of the mezzanine? I'm talking about the kind you find at terminals like at 57th st (F) which are not used anymore

Doesn't seem like a terminal next-train indicator. They're like the red-LED next-train indicators that have a single line on them. Both show which platform has a train currently serving it. The indicator presumably gets passengers to hurry up to their trains, but it's useless now since everyone rushes to the platform every time they hear a motor sound.

Edited by agar io

Thanks for the correction. There is indeed a clock at Grand Av, and I saw it today at the Broadway end of the platform. I must not have seen it.

Doesn't seem like a terminal next-train indicator. They're like the red-LED next-train indicators that have a single line on them. Both show which platform has a train currently serving it. The indicator presumably gets passengers to hurry up to their trains, but it's useless now since everyone rushes to the platform every time they hear a motor sound.

There is a terminal next train indicator right next to the stairs for the (7) train roughly mid platform on the mezzanine. I would assume it was there for FASTRACK.

Edited by Around the Horn

You're making it sound like only kids/teenagers made that mistake jumping onto the tracks to get their phones and got fatally hit but there's been many cases that it was the adults who saw that fate. Once again that still isn't a valid reason to banned teenagers from riding the subway.

Absolutely, as many more adults who should know better do that all of the time (sadly).    The bigger problem is some are just. plain. stupid.

What are the terminal capacities for the four sets of tracks at Coney Island? I would estimate that the (F) tracks are capped at around 11-12 TPH, given how many (F) trains have to terminate at Kings Highway. Is this accurate, and are the maximum capacities similar for the other three sets of tracks?

What the hell are they thinking? Did they just unilaterally forget the (W) shares trackage with the (R) which also stops at an 86 Street?

That's just asking for trouble...

I don't know, but it certainly isn't good. However, I came up with an idea, why not have it be like this?

W| TO 86 ST/SEA BEACH

W| 4 AVENUE LOCAL

W| BROADWAY LOCAL

This way you reduce the confusion.

What are the terminal capacities for the four sets of tracks at Coney Island? I would estimate that the (F) tracks are capped at around 11-12 TPH, given how many (F) trains have to terminate at Kings Highway. Is this accurate, and are the maximum capacities similar for the other three sets of tracks?

8 minutes to/from Coney Island and 8 minutes to/from Kings Highway during rush hours actually which means 4 minutes between each (F) train total

8 minutes to/from Coney Island and 8 minutes to/from Kings Highway during rush hours actually which means 4 minutes between each (F) train total

What's the limiting factor there? Even for a 10mph entrance/exit, 7.5 tph seems a bit low...

That's 3.75 tph/track, or one train every 16 minutes on each track.

Edited by RR503

What's the limiting factor there? Even for a 10mph entrance/exit, 7.5 tph seems a bit low...

That's 3.75 tph/track, or one train every 16 minutes on each track.

Simply put, ridership is very low on that section.

Also, the interlocking to get those (F) trains to change tracks at Stillwell is quite a way's away from the station. Plus, those trains have to go 10mph between Stillwell and those switches, then maybe 15 between the switches and West 8th Street. Add in the curve right by W8 and it can easily take you 5 minutes to get through that section.

Simply put, ridership is very low on that section.

you're wrong because the diamond crossover is midway between West 8th and Stillwell which means Stillwell can't handle a train every 4 minutes during rush hours so 50% of them have to turn at Kings Highway. Also shortly before the morning rush hour or the evening rush hour is over, the last "extra" trains get taken out of service at Kings Highway and run empty to the yard on the middle track

they could turn a bit more than just 7.5 trains an hour at Stillwell before the morning rush hour or the evening rush hour is over, however those "extra" trains can't get taken out of service and run empty to the yard after Stillwell because the Stillwell area of the yard is where they have (D)(Q) trains stored whereas the Avenue X area of the yard is where they have (F)(G) trains stored so the extra trains on the (F) line get removed from service at Kings Highway shortly before the rush hour is over for midday service to start getting the headways on the entire (F) line down to 7-8 minutes instead of 4 minutes

Edited by Jemorie

you're wrong because the diamond crossover is midway between West 8th and Stillwell which means Stillwell can't handle a train every 4 minutes during rush hours so 50% of them have to turn at Kings Highway. Also shortly before the morning rush hour or the evening rush hour is over, the last "extra" trains get taken out of service at Kings Highway and run empty to the yard on the middle track

they could turn a bit more than just 7.5 trains an hour at Stillwell before the morning rush hour or the evening rush hour is over, however those "extra" trains can't get taken out of service and run empty to the yard after Stillwell because the Stillwell area of the yard is where they have (D)(Q) trains stored whereas the Avenue X area of the yard is where they have (F)(G) trains stored so the extra trains on the (F) line get removed from service at Kings Highway shortly before the rush hour is over for midday service to start getting the headways on the entire (F) line down to 7-8 minutes instead of 4 minutes

Where does any of this say my observation is incorrect?

Where does any of this say my observation is incorrect?

alternate rush hour (F) trains to Kings Highway have little to do with ridership and more to do with capacity at Stillwell. technically, they could run nearly all those trains to Stillwell if they want to just like how they run nearly all rush hour (E) trains to Jamaica Center

i think the post made by paulrivera was alot more clearer and valid than i did though

Edited by Jemorie

Random question about N/Q/W rolling stock. I noticed that many R68s tend to run on the N/W lines (W most often seems to get them), yet none on the Q. Is there a reason for that or is it all by chance that 68's only run on the W primarily?

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Most are on the (W) now, with an R68/A (N) appearing every so often. The main reason for the R68s not appearing on the (Q) is due to rollsigns having a 96 St-2 Av sign and it being easier to run R160s on 2 Av. Edited by ShadeJay