SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

The (2) AND (5) now show the trips heading to New Lots and Utica Avenue.

http://www.mta.info/...e/pdf/t2cur.pdf

http://www.mta.info/...e/pdf/t5cur.pdf

Changes:

The last (5) TO Flatbush leaves Dyre Avenue at 7:02 now.

Evening (5) service runs to Utica Avenue to Brooklyn Only, to the Bronx evening service orginates at Flatbush Avenue

Some Early rush hour service operates to/from Utica Avenue

All trains to the bronx during rush hour except for the last two trips from Utica Avenue terminate at E.180 Street

The 4 still doesnt show those trips to New Lots Rush Hours

Didn't see this before. This isn't anything new, the last (5) to Flatbush leaving Dyre Av at 7:02 PM and the lack of trains of Utica at the end of PM Rush has been the norm ever since Midday service was extended to Flatbush Av back in 2009.

(I dunno what two more evening trains to Flatbush has to do with extension of midday service, but 20 minutes of later service is better than nothing)

Before then, the last train to Flatbush left at 6:42, and I think the 6:52 and 7:02 trains went to Utica and then back to the Bronx.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why do people have to push in at the last minute on the (S) and the (4)? Its annoying having to sit there and waste time while the doors bounce open and closed.

If your talking about the IRT (S). Your gonna see that a lot, people rushing to make a connection with MNCR (or coming from).

The (4)... Don't get me started, its another (2).. Ill take a (5) and (6) Thank You!

On another note, does anyone thing Times Square (S) platform should have Screen boards listing Metro-North Departures? I think it would make sense. Most of the IRT (S) riders are MNCR ones.

If your talking about the IRT (S). Your gonna see that a lot, people rushing to make a connection with MNCR (or coming from).

The (4)... Don't get me started, its another (2).. Ill take a (5) and (6) Thank You!

On another note, does anyone thing Times Square (S) platform should have Screen boards listing Metro-North Departures? I think it would make sense. Most of the IRT (S) riders are MNCR ones.

Plus the shuttle is a lot more frequent then MNRR during rush hour. (S) trains run every 2 minutes. Why have the departure times listed for a service that's every 15-30 minutes at most when the one at that station is every 2 minutes?

Plus the shuttle is a lot more frequent then MNRR during rush hour. (S) trains run every 2 minutes. Why have the departure times listed for a service that's every 15-30 minutes at most when the one at that station is every 2 minutes?

You cannot compare a Railroads schedule with a Subway's Schedule... Both have its ups and downs with frequency & service.. MNCR has 4 tracks along Park Avenue outside of GCT, which there are a lot of trains and routes entering/exiting the station at different times..

It would confuse the tourists, who would think that there is MNR at Times Square.

What does confusing tourist have to do with this? Besides 34th Street / NYP also has SOME tourist lurking the station. And when you come out of ether the IRT or IND Penn Station, you have screens up. So wouldn't that confuse them as well?

I'd rather see screens up at Times Square (S) platform at least have a screen. And if the tourist is confused, well let them be... Because a whole lot of them will be confused for anything around...

Edited by mark1447

You cannot compare a Railroads schedule with a Subway's Schedule... Both have its ups and downs with frequency & service.. MNCR has 4 tracks along Park Avenue outside of GCT, which there are a lot of trains and routes entering/exiting the station at different times..

What does confusing tourist have to do with this? Besides 34th Street / NYP also has SOME tourist lurking the station. And when you come out of ether the IRT or IND Penn Station, you have screens up. So wouldn't that confuse them as well?

I'd rather see screens up at Times Square (S) platform at least have a screen. And if the tourist is confused, well let them be... Because a whole lot of them will be confused for anything around...

If I see a screen with departures, I expect said departures to be at the station, not a train ride away.

Maybe it's just me?

A lot actually. Both Times Square and Grand Central Terminal are tourist traps and what better way to get from one place to the other than the shuttle that connects the two.

That is true though. But wouldn't it solve the issue then if the screens had something on the display or above the display pointing out that the trains stop at the train platforms further down the station?

If I see a screen with departures, I expect said departures to be at the station, not a train ride away.

Maybe it's just me?

Maybe it is just you.

Besides there are already count downs for the (S), just in case. A lot of commuters who use the (S) are also those who want Metro-North. So whats the problem with having a screen with departures? Besides tourist.

If I was in a hurry, and I didn't have a timetable on me, I would be happy to see a departure screen for MNCR trains leaving GCT at 42nd St (S). I'm sure others will be happy as well.

Its like, JFK (A) train station. They have Airline departures/arrivals screens. Your not even within the terminals, your still in the Howard Beach / JFK station, connecting to the Airtrain, which acts like a Shuttle train (with a cost).

Edited by mark1447

Why the heck do they need countdown clocks for the (S)? The train is always one station away!

Putting departure screens on the (S) platform for Metro North is a bad idea because then some people will think that the MN is going to stop on the (S) platform. And yes, I guarantee you that will happen. I've seen it all. I've already had people ask me if the MN stops on the Lexington Ave. platform at GC.

Edited by Donald

Why the heck do they need countdown clocks for the (S)? The train is always one station away!

Putting departure screens on the (S) platform for Metro North is a bad idea because then some people will think that the MN is going to stop on the (S) platform. And yes, I guarantee you that will happen. I've seen it all. I've already had people ask me if the MN stops on the Lexington Ave. platform at GC.

If you have a sign that says "For Metro-North, take the (S) to Grand Central Station", I'm sure that will ease the pain. (Not everyone)

The only reason why I brought this up, is to give commuters access to departures of a Metro-North train, and any delays involved.

Are the R142s actually having brake wear problems because of the trailer axles which don't have traction motors? I remember hearing something about that. It would surprise me, since the R142s almost never have those screeching brakes that sound like they're wearing out. I don't know though; I'm not a brake expert.

It would also surprise me if the trailer axle setup was a problem, because it would appear that the MTA might be ordering the R179s in a similar configuration:

The new cars will also be lighter. By removing propulsion motors, lightening the floors, and making other materials changes, the trimmer R179s will improve overall energy efficiency.

http://www.nyctransi...ion-discussion/

If you have a sign that says "For Metro-North, take the (S) to Grand Central Station", I'm sure that will ease the pain. (Not everyone)

The only reason why I brought this up, is to give commuters access to departures of a Metro-North train, and any delays involved.

Grand Central station is a post office. I never knew the (S) and Metro-North lines stop at the post office! :lol:

I did not want to make a thread about this so I'll just leave it here.

Last night, I received news on the 76th Street IND station that can not only put the rumors to rest, but can explain why there is no real evidence of it's existence.

Simply put, It's been filled back in. Yes, behind the cinder block walls, is just dirt. Which made me not only satisfied to hear that, but also a little pissed that theres absolutely no way to see it ever again. Would love to have seen a picture or two.

Edited by LTA1992