SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why is it that the MTA had to go away from the :nyct: which in my opinion is better than (MTA) while WMATA has stuck with its brown M/Metro logo since its inception?

The MTA felt that after ~25 years, the "Corporate M" was too outdated and decided to change it to the current logo. Obviously, things are different for other transit agencies, like WMATA for instance.

Does CBTC have bi directional signalling? 

Say Queens Blvd gets full CBTC, it's the evening rush and there's a disabled local train at 65th street or something.

Could CBTC do "smart" service and have Northbound Local service run on the Southbound track (Since it's the peak direction) and have all southbound service go express?

Or, if the disabled train is on the northbound express track, Have northbound local service as usual, but northbound express services run on the southbound express track, and have all southbound service run local.

Does CBTC have bi directional signalling? 

Say Queens Blvd gets full CBTC, it's the evening rush and there's a disabled local train at 65th street or something.

Could CBTC do "smart" service and have Northbound Local service run on the Southbound track (Since it's the peak direction) and have all southbound service go express?

Or, if the disabled train is on the northbound express track, Have northbound local service as usual, but northbound express services run on the southbound express track, and have all southbound service run local.

What would be the point? The trains coming from Brooklyn and WTC have to terminate somewhere during the AM peak, and if you want consistent levels of all day service those trains are going to have to get in position for the trip back from Forest Hills.

In any case something happens on Queens Boulevard that prevents the (E)(F)(M) or (R) from reaching their northern terminals, CBTC or not, this is what would happen:

(E) would run via the (C) to 168th Street.

(F) would run to 96th Street if the issue prevents it from going north. Some (F) trains would use the Crosstown cut to avoid the affected areas.

(M) would run to Chambers Street with select trains already on 6th Avenue to 57 Street (or 168th or 96th depending on the scneiro)

(R) trains would terminate at 96th Street or Astoria.

What would be the point? The trains coming from Brooklyn and WTC have to terminate somewhere during the AM peak, and if you want consistent levels of all day service those trains are going to have to get in position for the trip back from Forest Hills.

In any case something happens on Queens Boulevard that prevents the (E)(F)(M) or (R) from reaching their northern terminals, CBTC or not, this is what would happen:

(E) would run via the (C) to 168th Street.

(F) would run to 96th Street if the issue prevents it from going north. Some (F) trains would use the Crosstown cut to avoid the affected areas.

(M) would run to Chambers Street with select trains already on 6th Avenue to 57 Street (or 168th or 96th depending on the scneiro)

(R) trains would terminate at 96th Street or Astoria.

I didn't mention trains not being able to get to their terminals, I mentioned a track blockage on a four track line and a modified service pattern by reverse railing.

I didn't mention trains not being able to get to their terminals, I mentioned a track blockage on a four track line and a modified service pattern by reverse railing.

Even if there were bi-directional signaling, that will require switches between all four tracks at Queens Plaza, 36 St, and 71 Av at the very least. Using the nycsubway.org track map as a baseline, let's make up a scenario where bi-directional

Say both northbound (Jamaica-bound) tracks are out of service between 71 Av and Queens Plaza, and all southbound (Manhattan-bound) service is operating on the northbound express track, with all northbound service running local. Then there would have to be a new switch built around 71 Av (link to nycsubway.org track map), since neither southbound track can access the northbound express track (but not vice versa, which is why I'm using this particular scenario). Even if we only connected the two express tracks, this would work because (M)(R) trains originating from Jamaica Yard would immediately go onto the southbound express track, then onto the northbound express.

East of Queens Plaza, there are the requisite switches for northbound trains on either northbound track to access the southbound express track right before the 63rd Connector. Meanwhile, southbound trains from the northbound express could access both southbound tracks. The problem is the 63rd Connector, which can only access the express and local tracks in their respective direction (northbound 63rd could only go to northbound local/express, and vice versa). So, a switch between the express tracks would probably have to be built just east of where the connector merges into the QBL, probably within 36th St.

tl;dr - If two switches (southbound exp. to northbound exp. @ 71 Av, and both exp. tracks @ 36 St) were built, then maybe we can talk about bidirectional signaling of the QBL express tracks.

Did the Wakefield Line run on Boston Rd past 179th street at one point and not make the sharp turn east toward E180th St Station?

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8414598,-73.8788516,165m/data=!3m1!1e3!5m1!1e1?hl=en

Yes; that spur led to the 180th Street - Bronx Park station and also the West Farms Yard.

It was made redundant by the line past E 180th Street so it was closed in 1952 and then demolished.

What's the beeping sound that's sometimes heard on the 6 train with an R62A?

If it's the same beeping that's on the 1 train, it's the alarm on the cover for the emergency brake. As the train vibrates and accelerates sometimes it moves the cover enough to momentarily lose contact with the switch, and it beeps. 

Sometimes, it will be a longer solid beep if the cover's significantly out of place, and if I'm close I give the thing a good rap with my hand, which usually takes care of it.