SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why did the IND change Nostrand avenue from being 1 level to 2 level during construction?

Nostrand was supposed to be a local station like Kingston-throop and others at the time, with the "upper level" being a mezzanine. But of course plans changed and the mezzanine now holds express tracks. Don't know why the change occured though.

A general reminder to those who are interested in recording or photographing Bay Ridge Avenue in its pre-renovation state:

You must do so before Friday at 11PM as the (R) below 59 Street will be closed all weekend, due to prep work. The MTA website says it will close 5AM May 1st, but that is not accurate.

Hoyt-Schermerhorn surprises me more, though I suppose any switches there wouldn't be very necessary, seeing as the sensible routes (Culver->8th Av and Crosstown -> Fulton) are not the tracks that are next to each other.

Good point. The only possible routes that would use said switches would be one of these options:

• (1) The MTA wants to send a route down the Crosstown Line, then up to the Bronx or Inwood - or else the route would be a lasso-shaped loop.
  • (2) The MTA wants to create a route that is wholly within Brooklyn (and maybe Queens) - but that would probably have low ridership since it would probably run local on the Culver line and express on the Fulton line, even though the express doesn't even serve Manhattan.

A general reminder to those who are interested in recording or photographing Bay Ridge Avenue in its pre-renovation state:

You must do so before Friday at 11PM as the (R) below 59 Street will be closed all weekend, due to prep work. The MTA website says it will close 5AM May 1st, but that is not accurate.

Incidentally, that means that the closest open stations to 59 St during construction will be 45 St and 77 St.

It's going to be a long walk for the riders in between, but I guess having two stations closed for construction (three after June) would make the (R) slightly faster.

Edited by agar io

The (2) now has signage indicating express service on Broadway and local service on 7 Av displayed as 'BWAY EXP/7 AV LCL'

My guess is that it will be used for certain GOs?  Like the one last weekend, where (2) and (3) trains ran local south of 42 St.  Is that how the stops are listed?

Nostrand was supposed to be a local station like Kingston-throop and others at the time, with the "upper level" being a mezzanine. But of course plans changed and the mezzanine now holds express tracks. Don't know why the change occured though.

According to Wikipedia, there are unused trackways on the lower level of the station.  Is it possible the layout of this station was designed with the possibility of a connection to the Utica Avenue Line?

My guess is that it will be used for certain GOs? Like the one last weekend, where (2) and (3) trains ran local south of 42 St. Is that how the stops are listed?

Maybe it will be used for the upcoming long term weekend Clark St tube outage. I think the (3) turns at 14 and the (2) runs local south of times square, hence Broadway express north of 42nd and 7 Ave local south of 42nd

According to Wikipedia, there are unused trackways on the lower level of the station.  Is it possible the layout of this station was designed with the possibility of a connection to the Utica Avenue Line?

No the unused trackways were going to be the express tracks.

When they converted it to an express station, during construction IIRC, they routed the express tracks through the mezzanine, instead of building island platforms.

-Train is stopped by NYPD

-2 people were removed from the train

*The cause of this is 2 individuals hopped the turnstile from the other side of the station and ran to the train.

This happens? ????????

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

Why not? The NYPD needs to be paid to do something.

Fare beaters are a liability by themselves. I've never seen that happen. But I'd be ???? it.

People who can't contribute to the system aren't good for it.

I don't like the fact that our fare is this high. But breaking the rules I don't like doesn't make them go away.

More or less, not participating in hearings and the civic process doesn't make problems go away either.

Like any untreated disease, it festers.

Maybe it will be used for the upcoming long term weekend Clark St tube outage. I think the (3) turns at 14 and the (2) runs local south of times square, hence Broadway express north of 42nd and 7 Ave local south of 42nd

They'll probably update the transfer announcements for the (4) and (5) Brooklyn segment as well. IINM they did take out the weekend Borough Hall (R) transfer during the Montague shutdown.

The (2) now has signage indicating express service on Broadway and local service on 7 Av displayed as 'BWAY EXP/7 AV LCL'

The local south of 42nd is common enough on the weekends (it happens about 9 out of every 10 weekends now) that its own separate route program was warranted.

I've always wondered why a station that big didn't have an overpass.

Signage says starting on April 26th at a qtr to midnight

I've always wondered why a station that big didn't have an overpass.

Signage says starting on April 26th at a qtr to midnight

LMAO, its not closing tomorrow. April 28th at just after 11PM is the last train before it closes. The posters and brochures say April 29th and as I mentioned, the website says 5AM May 1st.