SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did not want to make a thread about this so I'll just leave it here.

Last night, I received news on the 76th Street IND station that can not only put the rumors to rest, but can explain why there is no real evidence of it's existence.

Simply put, It's been filled back in. Yes, behind the cinder block walls, is just dirt. Which made me not only satisfied to hear that, but also a little pissed that theres absolutely no way to see it ever again. Would love to have seen a picture or two.

Apperantly, 76 was opened for service for 1 month and the tunnel was indeed filled in afterwards: http://www.columbia.edu/~brennan/abandoned/76st.html

Look what date that article was written, fool!

Look what date the information comes from, fool!

Seriously, the fact that an article was written some time ago doesn't mean that the information isn't right perse. Most of his facts are from the 50s when the Times interviewed people.

I've noticed posters in a few subway threads who don't seem to fully grasp the concept of subway frequency. In a thread about the BMT Astoria line someone complained about an R train being followed by a M train ( or vice versa ) about a minute later on Queens Blvd. It was stated that because those lines ran on 10 minute headways that there should be a 5 minute wait between trains. This is a faulty assumption IMO. We are talking about 2 different lines that happen to share trackage on a portion of their routes. In a perfect world this simply means there should be 10 minutes between each M train and 10 minutes between each R train, period. How they mesh with each other on the QBL has nothing to do with 10 minute headways but how they interact with the other routes on the Broadway, Fourth Ave, Sixth Ave, and Broadway(Brooklyn) lines. I've said it before and it bears repeating that when schedules are being prepared or discussed it's important to view the whole routes involved rather than focus on a segment to critique.The important stat in the above scenario is that each route's trains arrive 10 minutes apart. If they do that means each line is running as scheduled. Carry on.

Was it possible to open the windows of the "A" (slanted) cab in the R40 Slants? The photos I've seen of them make it look like you can't, but they can be misleading.

Also, is there any reason why the R40/42 cars only had a side window in the "B" cab, and not a 'front' (for lack of a better term) window like the 32s and 38s? Wouldn't want to be one of the poor souls standing in that cab for a fully underground run.

I've noticed posters in a few subway threads who don't seem to fully grasp the concept of subway frequency. In a thread about the BMT Astoria line someone complained about an R train being followed by a M train ( or vice versa ) about a minute later on Queens Blvd. It was stated that because those lines ran on 10 minute headways that there should be a 5 minute wait between trains. This is a faulty assumption IMO. We are talking about 2 different lines that happen to share trackage on a portion of their routes. In a perfect world this simply means there should be 10 minutes between each M train and 10 minutes between each R train, period. How they mesh with each other on the QBL has nothing to do with 10 minute headways but how they interact with the other routes on the Broadway, Fourth Ave, Sixth Ave, and Broadway(Brooklyn) lines. I've said it before and it bears repeating that when schedules are being prepared or discussed it's important to view the whole routes involved rather than focus on a segment to critique.The important stat in the above scenario is that each route's trains arrive 10 minutes apart. If they do that means each line is running as scheduled. Carry on.

It's like alot of people in this forums pay more attention to a line that a train/route runs on in a borough or part of a borough in this city rather than the ENTIRE route of the train itself...Yes, ridership like White Plains Road, Queens Boulevard, Astoria etc etc are higher but I really don't see how hard it is to maintain that through the entire route of a train service. It's like people pay more attention to the BMT Astoria Line ridership rather than just the entire (N) and (Q) lines respectively. Same happens with the (4)(5)(6)<6> in Manhattan, the (M) and (R) along Queens Boulevard Local, etc etc etc...

The entire route of a train service is more important too...not just the higher ridership...You'll end up with delays regardless, and I bet that the (MTA) doesn't want this kind of inconsistent service...

For example:

Along the entire (2) route (which shares tracks with the (5) between East 180th Street and Grand Concourse, the (3) train between 135th Street and Franklin Avenue, and once again the (5) between Franklin Avenue and Brooklyn College-Flatbush Avenue), you can have two (2) trains and a single (5) and (3) trains respectively for the first ten minutes, then the next ten minutes is the other way around and going so on and on with that for every rush hour and midday, even evening.

Along the entire (Q) route (which shares tracks with the (N) above 34th Street-Herald Square, below Prince Street, and above DeKalb Avenue as well as the (R) along the 60th-59th Street and above 34th Street-Herald Square), you can have two (Q) trains and a single (N) and (R) trains respectively for the first ten minutes. Then the next ten minutes, you can have two (R) trains and a single (N) and (Q) trains respectively. It's not even hard, as long as they scheduled it properly BASED on the way they run the trains. That's all.

The main focus should be the ENTIRE route of a public train or bus service, not just one of the lines they run on due to higher ridership and demanding. But because lines like the BMT Astoria should have both trains crowded by simply spacing them out more and having them run at four or five minute headways is why you have that kind of service right now...I have tried to say this in the past (W) threads that had gotten locked of course. Sure, I shouldn't keep on saying the same things over and over again except if I can come up with a new topic and say it in a different form of way, formulating it properly and better. It's just that people just kept on going on about this or that line should run at this headway so both trains get crowded and its better that way without focusing on the rest of the services' routes where they interact with other services. That's the thing I felt with other people in the past debate threads. It will cause delays, gaps, and bunching if the (MTA) had not ran the trains/buses on to schedule properly and clearly. That's completely inconsistent than the always-bottlenecks. And I bet the (MTA) and anybody who is/had worked for a transit agency has the answer this already.....Moving along.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

Here's a thought for you. Not only is the (5) not going to be running to Bowling Green any other weekends in 2012, but the (5) won't be running AT ALL on weekends beginning November 3 through the end of the year! The (2) will be running Dyre-Flatbush via West Side, with a shuttle between 241-E180.

Here's a thought for you. Not only is the (5) not going to be running to Bowling Green any other weekends in 2012, but the (5) won't be running AT ALL on weekends beginning November 3 through the end of the year! The (2) will be running Dyre-Flatbush via West Side, with a shuttle between 241-E180.

:o

WHOA.