SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well the original Hudson Terminal platform was probably put as close as possible to the H&M. But the Chambers platform was designed to serve the Chambers St area, leaving the terminal station to serve Hudson Terminal (hence the names).

You're original post was written backwards kinda. The Chambers st platform is actually north of the WTC platform.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

You're original post was written backwards kinda. The Chambers st platform is actually north of the WTC platform.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

Wow, brain fart. My bad.

The width of Chambers St in that area might also be a factor. It may not be wide enough to support two island platforms side by side.

Wow, brain fart. My bad.

The width of Chambers St in that area might also be a factor. It may not be wide enough to support two island platforms side by side.

You mean Church St? The 8 Ave line doesn't run under Chambers. In fact, Chambers doesn't have any lines under it. Theoretically it's just wide enough for a two-track line.

Church is five and a half lanes. The QBL runs under Broadway in Queens, which is even narrower. The Broadway line runs under Broadway in Manhattan, which manages to be even narrower than Broadway in Queens.

Edited by agar io

You mean Church St? The 8 Ave line doesn't run under Chambers. In fact, Chambers doesn't have any lines under it. Theoretically it's just wide enough for a two-track line.

Church is five and a half lanes. The QBL runs under Broadway in Queens, which is even narrower. The Broadway line runs under Broadway in Manhattan, which manages to be even narrower than Broadway in Queens.

Yeah I meant the street the IND runs under there, not Chambers. And fair enough, it was a guess.

If its like the Forest Hills clock, it shows all the trains at that station.

It was showing all trains. This was toward the front of the platform.

Ah ok, I was just checking because only the Broadway line had the working countdown clocks before (which also showed in the transit app)

Though sending the (M) there makes sense and 96/2 really should be the late night and weekend terminal for the (M) at all times.  

Especially whenever they start (L) Shutdown.

I like the idea, but then the service pattern would start to become confusing.

Which is also like why I would once the (L) shutdown happens (if not when the (M) returns to Metropolitan after that work is done next year) have the (M) at 13 TPH (peak) on an 8/5 split between 71-Continental and 96th Street-2nd Avenue, with 96/2 the 24/7 terminal.

Why is the (R) so slow? It's like it crawls for it's entire route.

If your talking about a specific car i would say its probably because the R46 it runs on are not in the very best condition. Work isn't going to be done on them, they would be fully replaced by R211s i guess. If not probably R160s.