SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Theres a new(?) Brooklyn Bridge program (EXP 125-42, LCL 42-Bridge) being used that says "Brooklyn Bridge bound (4) express" north of Grand Central, but no "Brooklyn Bridge bound" announcement at all south of Grand Central. All other stations have normal announcements AFAIK.

Theres a new(?) Brooklyn Bridge program (EXP 125-42, LCL 42-Bridge) being used that says "Brooklyn Bridge bound (4) express" north of Grand Central, but no "Brooklyn Bridge bound" announcement at all south of Grand Central. All other stations have normal announcements AFAIK.

What does the signage say?

There's a (5) program like that too. I rode a local (5) train like that a while back.

The R142s are updated on the (4). Arriving at each stop till the stop before the last stop, it'll announce The Next Stop Is instead of This is a train. 

it might just be a minor glitch or error. i remember i once rode a Brooklyn-bound (5) train in Manhattan that was bound for Utica during the afternoon rush hour and it said "This is a Manhattan-bound (5) local train".

i remember also seeing some videos from the 2000s era of the R142A (6) trains heading downtown in Manhattan announcing "This is a Manhattan-bound (6) train" instead of "This is a Brooklyn Bridge-bound (6) train". 

So I haven't been on the 7 train on a weekday in a looooooong time, for probably 4 years or so. Does anyone know if the R62As still run on the line at all or if they have been completely replaced by the R188s? I think CBTC work is almost done, and from what I heard a few sets of R142s are being equipped. Can someone break it down, please?

So I haven't been on the 7 train on a weekday in a looooooong time, for probably 4 years or so. Does anyone know if the R62As still run on the line at all or if they have been completely replaced by the R188s? I think CBTC work is almost done, and from what I heard a few sets of R142s are being equipped. Can someone break it down, please?

There's like approx. 4 sets of R62A's, I could count 3 on one day and 1 and a half set was sitting in the yard. I don't know what's going to happen to them. The rest are all R188/142's and I'm pretty sure most of them already have CBTC, what happened to those small orange strips under the car #'s? They still have them on the (L).

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

There's like approx. 4 sets of R62A's, I could count 3 on one day and 1 and a half set was sitting in the yard. I don't know what's going to happen to them. The rest are all R188/142's and I'm pretty sure most of them already have CBTC, what happened to those small orange strips under the car #'s? They still have them on the (L).

Wait the R62As aren't going to be CBTC equipped right?

There's usually at least one set of R62As a day on the (7), but that's going to change fairly soon.  They're still installing and testing CBTC on the R188s so those R62As are just filling in until CBTC goes online.  After that, they'll go back to the main line, with a few singles still staying for work service.

As for the orange strips, the reason they put one on the (7) was to indicate that it was a test train.  Now that most of them have the same system, there's no need.  Now the ones on the (L) are to indicate the Digimove test trains (the R143s/R160A-1s are being fitted with Digimove CBTC equipment).  I'm not 100% sure on this, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

If I'm not mistaken, there are some sets of 142s on the (2) that have similar updates, supposedly for the upcoming Clark St closure. They're signed as follows:

(2)|TO FLATBUSH AV

(2)|BWAY EXP/7 AV LCL

(2)|EASTERN PKWY LCL

4 TO BROOKLYN BRIDGE

4 LEXINGTON AV LCL

Yeah, that's not confusing at all. 

it might just be a minor glitch or error. i remember i once rode a Brooklyn-bound (5) train in Manhattan that was bound for Utica during the afternoon rush hour and it said "This is a Manhattan-bound (5) local train".

i remember also seeing some videos from the 2000s era of the R142A (6) trains heading downtown in Manhattan announcing "This is a Manhattan-bound (6) train" instead of "This is a Brooklyn Bridge-bound (6) train". 

There are some sets that still do that. I think they've been limited to the ones on the (6) until the conversion of most of the 142As, but prior to that, you could still hear "This is a Manhattan-bound..." well after the train has entered Manhattan. Since most of those sets have been moved to the (7) with a new announcement program, we don't hear that glitch anymore.

Does anyone know when the countdown clocks will be operational on the B division?

Last I checked, all the (B)(D)(N)(Q)(R) and (W) stations that already have the new clocks should have them operational relatively soon.

Also, there's a new clock at fare control next to the turnstiles at Broad Street on the (J). I was surprised when I saw one there over the weekend.