SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone notice that at a couple of (D) stations in the Bronx (183 and 170) and Manhattan (155) they actually installed *both* the new version *and* the IRT versions of the countdown clocks?

And then people wonder where all the money goes...

This has occurred at many stations in different boroughs.

At some (L) stations, they might even have replaced the old countdown clocks with new ones.

Anyone notice that at a couple of (D) stations in the Bronx (183 and 170) and Manhattan (155) they actually installed *both* the new version *and* the IRT versions of the countdown clocks?

And then people wonder where all the money goes...

You obviously haven't been to 49 Street recently. I noticed this while waiting for a train...

fOmndI3.jpg

49 Street downtown platform (BMT Broadway Line) - 2 June 2017

Few things better illustrate the overall incompetence in the MTA than this. I get not questioning the job order in general, but really? Pity I didn't have time to really get the shot I wanted to where one display completely blocks the other, but I think the image above still conveys my point fairly well.

This has occurred at many stations in different boroughs.

At some (L) stations, they might even have replaced the old countdown clocks with new ones.

In regards to the Canarsie clocks, those are due for a replacement as those displays date back to the late '90s. It's no excuse to install displays literally on top of each other.

Wait, what? The M shuttle is running R32s during the (M) shutdown?

Yep.

Question about r68's on the (N) and (W). Do they appear to have a better ride than the R160s overall?

Even though R68s are bulkier than R160s, it seems like they run faster in the 59th St. tunnel, and they also don't have those prolonged automated announcements. 

Basically, what are the pros and cons of an R68 (N) or (W) compared to a more common R160? 

You obviously haven't been to 49 Street recently. I noticed this while waiting for a train...

fOmndI3.jpg

49 Street downtown platform (BMT Broadway Line) - 2 June 2017

Few things better illustrate the overall incompetence in the MTA than this. I get not questioning the job order in general, but really? Pity I didn't have time to really get the shot I wanted to where one display completely blocks the other, but I think the image above still conveys my point fairly well.

Well supposedly once the new one (with screens on both sides) is fully working and showing times, the pilot screens (with only one screen) are going to be removed.

Are the (W) to 86th Street trips going to be extended to Coney Island once the Sea Beach Rehab starts on the Coney Island bound platforms?

I honestly think they will just terminate at Bay Pkwy and send them to CI yard from there. They don't wanna congest CI more than it already is. The Manhattan bound rush hr (W) trains began at Bay Pkwy during manh. bd platform renovations , they could've sent them to CI but they didn't.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Edited by danielhg121

R160 because the W to 86 St trip is confusing on an R68 since the rollsigns are set to Whitehall St, and the W runs on the same track as the (R). At 59th Street, people could mistake the (W) going down to Bay Ridge, and the R68's don't have good PA systems.

True but the R68s do have signs for 86th Street, and unlike the 160s, they actually say Gravesend.

Anyone know why the (A) seems to be prioritized over the (C) whenever there are delays? During today's West 4th Street signaling debacle, my Manhattan-bound (C) sat in the tunnel before Hoyt-Schermerhorn for 15 minutes while five (A)s went by, and this happens probably once a week. Is it more efficient to not move the switch back and forth or something?