SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got on an (A) local this AM at 59th Street where the doors to the third car didn't open. No one was in the car.

I didn't think R46s had that capability.

None of our cars have that capability lol. One has to go to every door panel and individually lock (isolate) every door.

More than likely, something happened in that car (blood, vomit, a turd lol, etc) and instead of taking the entire train out of service, they just closed that car off and it'll be dealt with at the end of the line.

This reminds me of a funny story. So they closed off a car on the (7) line. We were heading toward TSQ. The real trouble happened when we got to Junction Blvd. Whoever was closing down the car forgot to lock the other side as well. So the doors opened on that side since it's an island platform station and until we got to 82nd st-jackson hgts, someone alerted the conductor and I don't think the conductor was in that car, otherwise she could unlock the cab door but she went around from the 6th car to the 4th car to unlock the storm door. The people in that car were straight chilling before they realized they were trapped in that car, so it makes you wonder why do they close off the cars? Caused quite a few delays that day and we made battery runs to the end of the line.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Loaners from CIY because the normal fleet at Stillwell Yard (that small yard between the (D) and (N) tracks) was marooned by the GO.

Actually according an employee I know who had to work the line said the Actual reason was "two W trains that were laid up at City Hall Yard were requested by supervision to help alleviate congestion at Atlantic Barclays due to a protest"

Edited by Daniel The Cool

i'm glad they are building a new repair shop at Fresh Pond for the upcoming (M) shuttle and i honestly hope the full (M) fleet will all be based out of there instead of ENY once this Myrtle Avenue Elevated Construction is over and done with

edit: i hope the said shop will not be taken down and make the whole Fresh Pond facility back to a just a yard (meaning just storing trains and that's it)

The barn can only fit 2 cars. Hence why the (M) shuttle is running R32's

Hello.

I'm going to be in NYC next month and would like to take photos of running subways with the statue of liberty

for the background.

I looked at Bruce Davidson's photo book and found the pictures taken at a station - probably somewhere in Brooklyn-  

but I couldn't see the location.

So I'd like to ask everyone's help to get the best place for the ones.

Thanks a lot.

Edited by EugeneLloyd

Hello.

I'm going to be in NYC next month and would like to take photos of running subways with the statue of liberty

for the background.

I looked at Bruce Davidson's photo book and found the pictures taken at a station - probably somewhere in Brooklyn-  

but I couldn't see the location.

So I'd like to ask everyone's help to get the best place for the ones.

Thanks a lot.

The best (or at least the easiest) place to get a photo of the subway and the Statue of Liberty would be at the front of the uptown platform of Smith - 9th Streets on the (F) and (G) lines. IIRC I don't really think there's another place to get that kind of shot.

The best (or at least the easiest) place to get a photo of the subway and the Statue of Liberty would be at the front of the uptown platform of Smith - 9th Streets on the (F) and (G) lines. IIRC I don't really think there's another place to get that kind of shot.

Might be possible on the West End line. Just guessing.

Yeah, Smith-9th on the Brooklyn bound platform or 4th Avenue on the Manhattan bound platform

Might be possible on the West End line. Just guessing.

You can get the Freedom Tower on West End but not the Statue of Liberty

This is a list of current issues with the automatic PA system that have been brought on by the reinstatement of the (W) and the opening of the SAS:

- R143s on the (L): do not state that transfer is available to (W)

- R188s on the (7): state that transfer is available to the (N) and (Q) instead of the (N) and (W)

- R142s on the (4), (5), and (6): do not state that transfer is available to the (Q) at 59th St/Lexington Av 63rd St

- R142As on the (4), (5), and (6): same issue as R142s

There have been no issues with the R160s yet.

I have seen this for about a week.

From Facebook:

I5DxPL.jpg

This is a list of current issues with the automatic PA system that have been brought on by the reinstatement of the (W) and the opening of the SAS:

- R143s on the (L): do not state that transfer is available to (W)

- R188s on the (7): state that transfer is available to the (N) and (Q) instead of the (N) and (W)

- R142s on the (4), (5), and (6): do not state that transfer is available to the (Q) at 59th St/Lexington Av 63rd St

- R142As on the (4), (5), and (6): same issue as R142s

There have been no issues with the R160s yet.

At Kew Gardens–Union Tpke

It says "transfer is available to the E to the Jamaica Center. Transfer is available to the Q10 bus to JFK Airport." No mention of the F, and it is obvious that it is going to Jamaica Center.