SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

At Kew Gardens–Union Tpke

It says "transfer is available to the E to the Jamaica Center. Transfer is available to the Q10 bus to JFK Airport." No mention of the F, and it is obvious that it is going to Jamaica Center.

Its been like that for a while. Very sloppy Edited by RestrictOnTheHanger

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't seen this at all. Is it some or all R160s?

It will likely be rolled out to all of the 160s since this update probably contains new transfer information in regards to the upcoming the Myrtle Ave and weekend Clark St closures.

This reminds me of a funny story. So they closed off a car on the (7) line. We were heading toward TSQ. The real trouble happened when we got to Junction Blvd. Whoever was closing down the car forgot to lock the other side as well. So the doors opened on that side since it's an island platform station and until we got to 82nd st-jackson hgts, someone alerted the conductor and I don't think the conductor was in that car, otherwise she could unlock the cab door but she went around from the 6th car to the 4th car to unlock the storm door. The people in that car were straight chilling before they realized they were trapped in that car, so it makes you wonder why do they close off the cars? Caused quite a few delays that day and we made battery runs to the end of the line.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

It's better to have a train with one car closed off, instead of an entire train out of service. Especially during the rush

The R46 side signs seem to become more and more unreliable with each year. Fairly often I see many cars with blank signs, apparently for no reason. This time, however, the signs were displaying something that isn't even readable.

The best (or at least the easiest) place to get a photo of the subway and the Statue of Liberty would be at the front of the uptown platform of Smith - 9th Streets on the (F) and (G) lines. IIRC I don't really think there's another place to get that kind of shot.

Might be possible on the West End line. Just guessing.

Yeah, Smith-9th on the Brooklyn bound platform or 4th Avenue on the Manhattan bound platform

You can get the Freedom Tower on West End but not the Statue of Liberty

Thank you so much everyone. I'm going to Smith-9th and 4th street.

Edited by EugeneLloyd

Sheez i just went in on some foamer on yt who said the r46's will stay till 2050 and said they will upgrade the r46's in 2018 saying he read an article.

Lmao!!! I saw that article. It was one of those "channel 45 news" prank articles. It even says on the top of the page its a prank.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that having all these NTTs looking exactly alike is boring and takes some of the elegance and aesthetic appeal of the subway away?

They do that for ease of maintenance. Its happened over the decades thru generations of cars. Its nothing new. (Arnines, Redbirds, 32s-38s, 40s-42s, 44s-46s, 62s-68s(the New Car Fleet), etc. And the 179s are the last of the NTT fleet. Next is the "next gen" with the 211s

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that having all these NTTs looking exactly alike is boring and takes some of the elegance and aesthetic appeal of the subway away?

At the end of the day, most passengers (including myself) care more about reaching our destination than appearance and what shows up.

IMO they're pretty sleek looking. I have some friends who avoid the older cars just because they aren't NTTs.

IMO the cream/orange '70s vibe that was present in the previous generations of cars has not aged well at all. Lex-63 looks so much better now that it's not eye-searingly red.

They do that for ease of maintenance. Its happened over the decades thru generations of cars. Its nothing new. (Arnines, Redbirds, 32s-38s, 40s-42s, 44s-46s, 62s-68s(the New Car Fleet), etc. And the 179s are the last of the NTT fleet. Next is the "next gen" with the 211s

THIS

I would be nice if station columns represent their trunk lines color. For example, along the N line, the poles would be yellow for the N line. At Atlantic Ave, on the express track, there would be an orange/yellow pattern and on the local track, it would be yellow. Just to give a representation of the lines. I mean, their modernizing the subway so might as well put some character to it.

Along Queens Blvd, the express tracks would have orange/blue station columns, the local orange/yellow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888