SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a list of current issues with the automatic PA system that have been brought on by the reinstatement of the (W) and the opening of the SAS:

- R143s on the (L): do not state that transfer is available to (W)

- R188s on the (7): state that transfer is available to the (N) and (Q) instead of the (N) and (W)

- R142s on the (4), (5), and (6): do not state that transfer is available to the (Q) at 59th St/Lexington Av 63rd St

- R142As on the (4), (5), and (6): same issue as R142s

There have been no issues with the R160s yet.

It seems they were quicker to fix the FINDs on those.

I've noticed some trains huddled in empty express tracks at night with workers on laptops and lots of wires hanging about.

Not sure if that's FIND related or those new signs on the R160s glorifying SAS.

The best (or at least the easiest) place to get a photo of the subway and the Statue of Liberty would be at the front of the uptown platform of Smith - 9th Streets on the (F) and (G) lines. IIRC I don't really think there's another place to get that kind of shot.

It's a good suggestion. This is the highest EL in the entire system, so great shots should be possible all around.

What time does that R68 / R68A on the (A) usually leave 207th Street? I remember it being around 7 PM?...

I've seen it leave at 7:20 PM from PABT. It's usually Rockaways bound.

I remember I once had this (C) train operator and conductor who were new to the (C) line a few months back, the operator stopped at the 10 car marker instead of the 8 car marker at 14th Street because he was used to only operating the (A). The conductor had a freak out because she couldn't see the CCTV screens (I don't know why you even need CCTV screens since the platform is straight anyway.) And the board wasn't in sight. RCC and her operator were telling her two different things so she opened the doors but couldn't close them because she coudlnt see the CCTV. Her operator had to walk out of his cab and try to explain to her what was going on. This delayed service on the (C) by like a good 15 minutes.

The markers exist so that both conductor and engineer can clearly see the platform and everything near it.

I don't think it's a big deal and I could understand why you don't think so either. However, as stated by the next poster, curved platforms are harder to scope from the conductor's position.

When you have loonies on the platform who disregard spatial and actual realities, it helps to spot them early and if I were that conductor, I'd panic too, especially in light of track intrusions.

This morning I saw a R68a with a door that wouldn't open.

and yesterday night I was on an R32 whose door only opened halfway.

When customers hold the doors, not only do they delay service for trains behind and customers ahead, it's abusive to train cars and shortens their revenue life, while lengthening their time in a repair yard.

Third oldest. You forget the 42s

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

Those are dead to me. I know they're technically different but I lump them visually with R32 cars.

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

IMO they're pretty sleek looking. I have some friends who avoid the older cars just because they aren't NTTs.

In our upcoming "Summer of Hell" they won't be able to be so picky without consequences.

While delays are an Injustice to any commute, I often feel a picky and insensitive commuter ruins their own ride before the MTA does it for them.

At the end of the day, most passengers (including myself) care more about reaching our destination than appearance and what shows up.

It never had any.

Only the ribbon cuttings are supposed to look pretty.

Here I was, thinking my suburban attitude was out of place.

LOL My friend made that one...

Doesn't matter.

The MTA's efforts are fake news anyway

They are, in essence, the model shell company.

Passing the buck, avoiding blame, shifting funds, extorting the poor - I almost think Big Pharma's jealous sometimes.

Pfizer board meeting off record remark:

"Why can't we get away with [emoji90] like the MTA does?"

I don't see the resemblance... ????

https://postimg.org/image/m52twuqm3/

On the inside.

I know the rollers are different and the front ends look more like what the R62s became.

In my eyes, they share the same depressing aesthetic.

I think the post-white flight cleanup was awesome, but the tunnels, disused tracks and even substation walls are mired with graffiti.

And largely in blighted neighborhoods.

This is why the (C) and (J), which both serve East New York, have the oldest cars in the fleet.

That section of town is systematically deprioritized. They got the wrong Moses unfortunately.

On the inside.

I know the rollers are different and the front ends look more like what the R62s became.

I think the post-white flight cleanup was awesome, but the tunnels, disused tracks and even substation walls are mired with graffiti.

This is why the (C) and (J), which both serve East New York, have the oldest cars in the fleet.

That section of town is systematically deprioritized. They got the wrong Moses unfortunately.

The ends were the first of its kind in NYC subways starting with the Modified R40s and becoming common with the R44/46s. The interior was done similar to the 32s during the General Overhaul of the late 80s early 90s.

There's new countdown clocks on the L at Broadway Junction. Looks like they'll replacing the older ones on the line.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

In addition, they've begun taking down old buzz clocks along 6 Av and West End.

They're actually seriously tearing old copper out if the wall.

On the inside.

If you honestly think the (C) and (J) have R32s because those lines go through East New York, I have the Verrazano Bridge to sell you.

On the inside.

They do share the oldest cars in the fleet: the (J) is at East New York but the (C) is at 207 St. 

I know where you're going with that.

And I concur.

No one feels the sting as bad as Richmond County.

Now THAT is neglect.

No you don't. I'm saying your post is garbage, and I used the old "I've got a bridge to sell you" line, while inserting the name of the bridge in my neighborhood.

No you don't. I'm saying your post is garbage, and I used the old "I've got a bridge to sell you" line, while inserting the name of the bridge in my neighborhood.

Why do I bother?

Then just say I'm wrong.

But don't slander me. I have opinions too but I think before posting them and I'd appreciate it if you did the same.

Good night. [emoji349]

On the inside.

I thought (C)(J)(Z) got R32s because:

a) 8-car consists are run on both; and

b) the (J) was picked because R32 AC units kept failing since the entire (C) runs in tunnels, while the Jamaica Line is above ground for 80% of its journey - lessening the load on the units.

b) the (J) was picked because R32 AC units kept failing since the entire (C) runs in tunnels, while the Jamaica Line is above ground for 80% of its journey - lessening the load on the units.

I don't delve that deep but that is plausible.

Kinda like the (M) needing to have 8 cars at max. I made a comment speculating about a ten car and I was corrected.

AC units are failing on some R62s as well. I reported #2138 last week. It was blowing hot air.

https://twitter.com/MassTransitKrow/status/875785498756820992

I don't delve that deep but that is plausible.

Kinda like the (M) needing to have 8 cars at max. I made a comment speculating about a ten car and I was corrected.

AC units are failing on some R62s as well. I reported #2138 last week. It was blowing hot air.

https://twitter.com/MassTransitKrow/status/875785498756820992

One of the reasons that the J/Z got the 32s is yes, the A/C systems. Hence why for a few years the J and C did a summer swap. Its become year round because the MDBF of the 32s is the worst and to have them all on the C reduces the reliability of the line. Having a mix of 32s and 160s balances out.

Its not always politics or economic statuses of the neighborhoods.

The whole R32's on the (J) was done for the A/C of the cars at first. Before R32's were used regularly on the (J), the (A) and (C) swapped most of their fleet (R32's for R46's) during the summer in order to lessen the strain of the R32 A/C units in the hot tunnels. It didn't work well, so the (C) and (J) swap was made in 2013 as a summer swap until 2015 when the fleet circulation was made permanent.

and what is this i heard that 32's are not allowed in montague no more? and there is another place where they are not allowed also?

Been here ~2 years - mostly lurking - and all I've seen about Montague is that something went wrong so trains aren't sent up it.

Be nice to know what the issue is...