SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

The whole R32's on the (J) was done for the A/C of the cars at first. Before R32's were used regularly on the (J), the (A) and (C) swapped most of their fleet (R32's for R46's) during the summer in order to lessen the strain of the R32 A/C units in the hot tunnels. It didn't work well, so the (C) and (J) swap was made in 2013 as a summer swap until 2015 when the fleet circulation was made permanent.

The very first (A) and (C) summer swap was actually done while the R44s were still around (albeit in the process of being retired.)

In fact, my last ride on an R44 was on a (C) train back in the summer of 2010.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and what is this i heard that 32's are not allowed in montague no more? and there is another place where they are not allowed also?

Been here ~2 years - mostly lurking - and all I've seen about Montague is that something went wrong so trains aren't sent up it.

Be nice to know what the issue is...

When Montague got rebuilt after Sandy, they installed new equipment, and I think they raised the roadbed slightly, so only the R46 and up clears the tunnel.

I don't delve that deep but that is plausible.

Kinda like the (M) needing to have 8 cars at max. I made a comment speculating about a ten car and I was corrected.

AC units are failing on some R62s as well. I reported #2138 last week. It was blowing hot air.

https://twitter.com/MassTransitKrow/status/875785498756820992

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

Yes, that's why. Originally the (A)(C) would swap every summer but since the (A) was 10 cars or 8 75 footers, it wasn't an even swap plus the (J) is outside longer. In 2015, they made it permanent, which was a recommendation that came out of the (A)(C) study.

After 2018, both lines will have R160's/R179s.

When Montague got rebuilt after Sandy, they installed new equipment, and I think they raised the roadbed slightly, so only the R46 and up clears the tunnel.

Yes, that's why. Originally the (A)(C) would swap every summer but since the (A) was 10 cars or 8 75 footers, it wasn't an even swap plus the (J) is outside longer. In 2015, they made it permanent, which was a recommendation that came out of the (A)(C) study.

IIRC, isn't the (C) supposed to be all R179s eventually?  It would make sense as it would reduce the amount of fleets each yard has to deal with.  That, and the (A) will get R179s too and the (A) uses 207 Street as well.

As for Montague, I believe the reason the R32s are banned is they moved some of the wires that were in the duct banks to the ceiling to protect them from future floods.  As a result, all cars after the R42s, with their curved bodies, can clear the wiring, but not the straight-built R32s and R42s.

IIRC, isn't the (C) supposed to be all R179s eventually? It would make sense as it would reduce the amount of fleets each yard has to deal with. That, and the (A) will get R179s too and the (A) uses 207 Street as well.

As for Montague, I believe the reason the R32s are banned is they moved some of the wires that were in the duct banks to the ceiling to protect them from future floods. As a result, all cars after the R42s, with their curved bodies, can clear the wiring, but not the straight-built R32s and R42s.

The A is only getting 5 sets of 179s

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

What was that? [emoji349]

Another perfect example of not thinking before you post.

That pencil in square icon to the right? Clip your quotes better and get back to me when you've got it figured out.

You DO realize I've muted you right? I won't stand for abusive people or commentary, online or off.

This is a forum. Contribute something WORTH our ten years on air.

Not just HOT air.

That pencil in square icon to the right? Clip your quotes better and get back to me when you've got it figured out.

You DO realize I've muted you right? I won't stand for abusive people or commentary, online or off.

Not just HOT air.

LMAO What the hell are you talking about? My quotes are formatted correctly:

35297921891_32bb069e7b_b.jpg

Now, if your referring to the fact that I quoted your entire response, you can go back through my entire five year posting history and notice the trend that I rarely clip quotes, unless it makes the post unnecessarily long.

And please do show me one time I've contributed "hot air", Mr. I-take-more-rides-than-you. Now THAT is hot air. At this point, you just can't help yourself.

I fail to see how calling out a logical fallacy of yours re: R32's on the (C) and (J) is "abusive". Me thinks you have thin skin.

In any event, this is the last time I'm addressing this ridiculous conversation.

Not just HOT air.

Stop backseat moderating

I think at that time, the plan was still for the displaced 32s to be replaced by the 44s, which would have then been replaced by the 179s under the original mostly five-car set proposal. Swapping with the East New York probably wasn't considered at the time because it wasn't seen as necessary for a "short-term" problem. Hindsight and all that.

I think at that time, the plan was still for the displaced 32s to be replaced by the 44s, which would have then been replaced by the 179s under the original mostly five-car set proposal. Swapping with the East New York probably wasn't considered at the time because it wasn't seen as necessary for a "short-term" problem. Hindsight and all that.

Yeah that sounds about right. It's kinda funny how most decisions made by the MTA in 2010 backfired on them.

Lol this was "bad"? This seems like normal conversation to me.

And btw, it's not Turtle's or any other mod's job to chase down someone because they are annoying you. They are here to keep the site in order.

Agreed. Which is why I'm not always here.

I contribute to other sites and this one is merely a local stop on my route of contribution.

I mod on other sites. The screenshot is cute but I can also block the image host.

The joys of a rooted phone.

When I'm wrong, I'm wrong. And no matter how much I disagree with others who post, I will not slander any user or call their posts garbage.

I'll cite relevant content against your statement. You can't sustain a hypothesis without a thesis statement, much like I can't sustain a claim without proof, like my early wild claim of swipes per month.

This past season was 138 rides per month btw

Then don't wait for it to get this bad.

It should've never gotten that bad in the first place. There was nothing wrong with he posted, then you had to come off as a know-it-all tool about things. Us mods here are pretty lax about things here because this place basically runs itself and we all have other things to worry about, be it jobs, raising kids, or just adulthood in general; no one is disrespectful, everything is civil, and it's been ages since someone was banned, let alone given warning points about anything. It's been calm and peaceful here.

Now if you want us to not "wait for it to get too far" we could gladly handle that

Lol this was "bad"? This seems like normal conversation to me.

And btw, it's not Turtle's or any other mod's job to chase down someone because they are annoying you. They are here to keep the site in order.

There was nothing wrong with ATH posted at all

Folks be getting triggered over talking about train cars. ????????????

You're preaching to the choir there bruh lol

Currently on an R46 (R), looks like they are updating the side signs on those as well. It says

(R) FOREST HILLS-71

(R) BROADWAY LOCAL

(R) via 59 ST

(R) QUEENS BL LOCAL

Very interesting... That means yet another update. Just last month they were changing the signs to:

(R) FOREST HILLS 71

(R) BROADWAY LOCAL

(R) QUEENS BL LOCAL

so basically the same sign with via 59 ST added