SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Currently on an R46 (R), looks like they are updating the side signs on those as well. It says

(R) FOREST HILLS-71

(R) BROADWAY LOCAL

(R) via 59 ST

(R) QUEENS BL LOCAL

They're also updating the A

Originally:

A 8th Ave Express

To 207 St/Manhattan

Then:

A 8th Ave Exp

Inwood-207th St

Now:

A Fulton St Exp

8th Ave Exp

Inwood-207th St

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Originally:

A 8th Ave Express

To 207 St/Manhattan

Then:

A 8th Ave Exp

Inwood-207th St

Now:

A Fulton St Exp

8th Ave Exp

Inwood-207th St

The updated (A) reading actually says

A Fulton St Exp

8th Ave EXPRESS

Inwood-207th St

And for the late night reading

Fulton St LOCAL

8th Ave LOCAL

Inwood-207th St

Edited by Daniel The Cool

I keep meaning to respond to this one when it appears...

It's actually quite interesting that they're updating the side signs now as these readings have been on the sign sheets as far back as 2005. It looks like they've finally got around to actually making this update.

Currently on an R46 (R), looks like they are updating the side signs on those as well. It says

(R) FOREST HILLS-71
(R) BROADWAY LOCAL
(R) via 59 ST
(R) QUEENS BL LOCAL

Very interesting... That means yet another update. Just last month they were changing the signs to:

(R) FOREST HILLS 71

(R) BROADWAY LOCAL

(R) QUEENS BL LOCAL

so basically the same sign with via 59 ST added

I think the first one (with the reference to 59th Street) is a different code. There are several instances where slightly different readings exist on this system. Code 37 should bring up the version without 59th Street while 1158 links to the other version.

For those interested, as code 37 is likely one of the original codes from when the displays were installed in the early '90s, there are several versions of the applicable reading based on the age of the software. The original reading displays as such:

(R)|71/CONTINENTAL

(R)|BROADWAY LOCAL

whereas the updated version from 2001 is shown as such:

(R)|FOREST HILLS

(R)|71 AV

(R)|BROADWAY LCL

Originally:
A 8th Ave Express
To 207 St/Manhattan
Then:
A 8th Ave Exp
Inwood-207th St
Now:
A Fulton St Exp
8th Ave Exp
Inwood-207th St

This looks like another instance where the age of the software plays a part in what message displays. The original software has

to207 ST/MANHTN while the '01-present updates show INWOOD-207 ST. Again, for those interested, most of the 46s were updated in 2001 in anticipation of the new (V) line, as both the cars and the line would be based out of Jamaica. In the original version of the software, the various codes for the (V) only had "via 6 Av" or some variant of that, which was obviously unacceptable for passenger information.

Edited by Lance

For those interested, as code 37 is likely one of the original codes from when the displays were installed in the early '90s, there are several versions of the applicable reading based on the age of the software. The original reading displays as such:

(R)|71/CONTINENTAL

(R)|BROADWAY LOCAL

whereas the updated version from 2001 is shown as such:

(R)|FOREST HILLS

(R)|71 AV

(R)|BROADWAY LCL

Aha! So that's why some cars in the same set show 71/CONTINENTAL and FOREST HILLS then 71 AV. I've been wondering about that for years! lol

Aha! So that's why some cars in the same set show 71/CONTINENTAL and FOREST HILLS then 71 AV. I've been wondering about that for years! lol

I have also wondered that! Also, I have seen weird things, such as it saying NIS in some cars but then Forest Hills in another.

Countdown clocks are now active on the 4th Av line. Remind me, what exactly makes the clocks work on the B division? Something about Bluetooth?

http://gothamist.com/2016/08/04/fancy_counting_gadgets_whoa.php

"The system uses the existing wireless network in the stations and cloud computing, and involves four Bluetooth receivers placed in each station, two at each end of the platform. These receivers communicate with four Bluetooth devices that have been installed in the first and last cars of each train set running on the line. As the train enters and leaves a station, the system uses its arrival and departure time to estimate the time at which the train will reach the next stop in the line, and display the arrival times on the two LCD display screens that have been installed at each station."

I got a free transfer at Whitehall St today - having entered previously at Columbus Circle. Assuming this could be because of a former free transfer between (1) and (R) before the transfer passageway was built that they forgot to eliminate? Can't think of any other explanation, wondering if anyone knows....

Edited by LongLiveRock

I got a free transfer at Whitehall St today - having entered previously at Columbus Circle. Assuming this could be because of a former free transfer between (1) and (R) before the transfer passageway was built that they forgot to eliminate? Can't think of any other explanation, wondering if anyone knows....

It's for the Clark St Tunnel Project. (2)(3) will end at South Ferry and an out of system transfer provided to Bowling Green. So there are transfers at Recotr St, Wall St, South Ferry and Bowling Green now

It's for the Clark St Tunnel Project. (2)(3) will end at South Ferry and an out of system transfer provided to Bowling Green. So there are transfers at Recotr St, Wall St, South Ferry and Bowling Green now

But at 5 PM on a Friday? For a station that already has an in-station connection with the (1)? Seems odd...

There's one thought in mind for the (2)(5) weekend service: After 11:30PM, do the (5) trains still uncouple the trains or they remain as a full 10-car train for the (2)?

Also, by the looks of the change, the (5) will remain express along Lexington Av. during weekend late nights 

-------

There are (M) trains that terminate at W.4 St. My thought is how can it relay to the Queens local side?

Edited by CH3348

There's one thought in mind for the (2)(5) weekend service: After 11:30PM, do the (5) trains still uncouple the trains or they remain as a full 10-car train for the (2)?

Also, by the looks of the change, the (5) will remain express along Lexington Av. during weekend late nights 

-------

There are (M) trains that terminate at W.4 St. My thought is how can it relay to the Queens local side?

They don't uncouple the (5) Trains during the G.O. Those (2) Trains to/from Dyre Avenue are (5) Train Crews and the all weekend (5) Trains (Including the weekend overnights) are (2) Train crews signed up as (5) Trains.

And those (M) Trains are the ones that will end at Second Avenue (F) Station.

Edited by Daniel The Cool

Why does the southbound (4) run local in Brooklyn about after 9:30 p.m. instead of after the last southbound (3) departs from Atlantic on its way to New Lots?

I heard it was to provide extra local service along Eastern Parkway after events at the Barclays Center. Don't know how true that is, but it sounds plausible. Only problem is, the fact that southbound (4) trains start running local so early in Brooklyn isn't labeled on the signs at all, so you still have people waiting on the express platform at Atlantic Av for Utica Av-bound trains.