SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would anyone happen to know why the GTFS data in the Transit app is showing (F) via Broadway/West End and (D) via 8th Avenue/Culver from 2AM July 4th to 1AM July 5th?

19511213_336905913409549_331507636252528

Transit is known for predicting Weekend and holiday service changes

Taken from their blog:

Well, it turns out that Google’s developers (and Apple’s, ours, and everyone else’s) don’t actually have access to any of the MTA’s service disruption data. Literally all we have to work off of is the text on the The Weekender website.

Thankfully, one of those rare transit geniuses works for Transit. His name is Leo. Every week, Leo reads The Weekender with his morning coffee, and with a combination of automated tools and human oversight turns The Weekender’s text into data that our trip planner can use ✅

Source: https://medium.com/transit-app/how-were-bringing-real-time-countdowns-to-nyc-s-lettered-lines-482d3b8f9899

Edited by IAlam

Few notes on the new codes for the (5) codes (from 86 St):

At 59 St, the R142s announce a transfer to the (6)(Q)(N) and (R) train (in that exact order).

At Fulton St, the (2) and (3) are omitted and Pellet announces the (A)(C) and (J). Same case for Court St.

Between Brooklyn Bridge and Bowling Green, the (5) calls itself a Brooklyn bound (5) local train.

At Bowling Green, Pellet announces a (not free) transfer to (1)(2) and (R) train.

South of and including Bowling Green, the (5) announces itself as an Eastchester bound (5) local train.

At Franklin Ave, Pellet announces a transfer to the (4) and Franklin Av (S).

Separate note, there is at least one set with a code to 86 St, but most are signed up as (5) s to 149 St, Wakefield, Eastchester, etc.

Edited by ShadeJay

At 59 St, the R142s announce a transfer to the (6)(Q)(N) and (R) train (in that exact order).

At Fulton St, the (2) and (3) are omitted and Pellet announces the (A)(C) and (J). Same case for Court St.

Between Brooklyn Bridge and Bowling Green, the (5) calls itself a Brooklyn bound (5) local train.

At Bowling Green, Pellet announces a (not free) transfer to (1)(2) and (R) train.

South of and including Bowling Green, the (5) announces itself as an Eastchester bound (5) local train.

Separate note, there is at least one set with a code to 86 St, but most are signed up as (5) s to 149 St, Wakefield, Eastchester, etc.

This is for the Clark St tube G/O, I assume. The Eastchester announcement is probably a glitch.

My Woodlawn bound (4) train today kept announcing itself as a "Manhattan bound (4) local train" while it was running in the Bronx. I'm not surprised that the MTA keeps making these trivial mistakes, but can't they at least ask someone to listen to these faulty announcements BEFORE they are played out loud in service?...

My Woodlawn bound (4) train today kept announcing itself as a "Manhattan bound (4) local train" while it was running in the Bronx. I'm not surprised that the MTA keeps making these trivial mistakes, but can't they at least ask someone to listen to these faulty announcements BEFORE they are played out loud in service?...

Actually, it's a pretty common glitch that happens quite a bit on the R142s. Sometimes the announcements get stuck in the previous borough. For some reason, it's more prevalent on the Lex lines than 7th Av.

I think it's because Lex has a more complex routing program code then 7th Avenues. At times the announcements will not cycle through and glitch, and remain on that same announcements unless there's a trigger code to change it again (I.e entering Brooklyn.)

But, for that (5) glitch where Flatbush Avenue bound trains will announce themselves as Eastchester bound 5 trains, that's a result of faulty programming. To me it looks like the wrong file is used to play the bound announcement.

One of these days, they will get the correct transfer at 59 Street. I have faith in them.  :P Seriously though, I'm actually impressed they have updated all of the transfer announcements to reflect the Clark St weekend closures. Usually it takes them a while to get these things updated.

It's a persistent glitch in the code, which has actually been there since the 142s entered revenue service in 2000. For whatever reason, the code will sometimes not cycle to the next destination file as programmed. It isn't a matter of the increased number of destination-related files to call as this has been prevalent through the cars' AAS since inception. This was a common glitch to encounter on the (6) train, which only cycled through two destination files for southbound routes.