SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Earlier this evening, my friend and I caught the (R) at 86th Street and we transfered to the (D) at 36th St. It crawled until 25 St, then sped up and then crawled again around Prospect Av since there were workers on the tracks. So the (R) actually beat our (D) to Atlantic-Barclays which was sad.

But It's not the first time I've been on express trains that have actually been passed by locals.

And the (R) didn't have to slow down for the workers?

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the South Motor was 1666, that was me lol. 1651/6 & 1661/6 have a single cab for some reason, so its a good opportunity to get the RFW towards Manhattan. (Im hoping to find that on the express someday)

It'd be nice if the dispatcher or whoever builds the sets would put half cab units on the Manhattan end of the trains a bit more frequently.

Those sets wont have the RFW much longer, once the new 21xx and 20xx 5-car sets get their full cabs that should go back.

Are they being linked during the SMS?

Caught the Low V around 4pm, it ran non stop from 42nd to 161st. It made a 'stop' at 125th, likely to hold for the train ahead to move further ahead.

Afterwards I headed back down to check out the Bleeker st connector and the platforms on the (6) are a big improvement. They are wider than before and I don't have to worry about the crowds on that platform. Overall, it looks nice, but otherwise it wasn't anything special. It's just good to have the convenient transfer now.

All trains need to stop at 125 so they can punch. I saw pokipsee waiting at 42 St when my (5) came through a couple intervals ahead of it. It was probably the first (5) in a while since the intervals ahead of mine got rerouted to the west side, and they finally decided to send us normal as we were coming into Atlantic-Pacific.

Yes, 1666 on the south. I want to see these vids!

Edited by Snowblock

How come the subway map shows some rush-hour supplements ( (A) to Rockaway Park, (5) to Nereid Avenue) but not others ( (2) to New Lots, (E) to Jamaica-179th)? The only thing I've noticed regarding these is that the ones they don't show are a matter of terminal space, and the ones they do show are typically to provide extra service regardless.

How come the subway map shows some rush-hour supplements ( (A) to Rockaway Park, (5) to Nereid Avenue) but not others ( (2) to New Lots, (E) to Jamaica-179th)? The only thing I've noticed regarding these is that the ones they don't show are a matter of terminal space, and the ones they do show are typically to provide extra service regardless.

Showing the (5) to Neried Avenue makes sense because almost half of (5) the trains get sent there during rush hours. The (2) and (E) reroutes are only a few trains, so it would probably be even more confusing to make riders expect that their (2) and (E) trains would do something weird, when almost all of them don't. As for the (A), I don't know.

They need to show the A to Rock Park because the Shuttle gets suspended during the intervals that the showcase A's runs, so it's the only service available.

Now that I didn't know

9, and CI.

I never understand why its 9 cars when there's 4 sets of 2 cars (8 cars)...

-2 sets running at any given time

-1 set sitting at Prospect Park

-1 set hiding in the barn at Coney Island

...so where does that 9th car hide out at?

It's 8 cars, not 9.

And if the shuttle is suspended, what serves the counter-peak direction between Broad Channel and Rock Park?

It is 9 cars. 2916-2924 (9 cars) are in single units while the other 416 cars are in 4 car sets

Do the math. The R68 order is 425 cars. 2500-2915 (416 cars) are coupled into 4 car sets (104 units). Those 104 units then in turn equal 52 trainsets. Those 9 orphans had to stay single cuz if you took another 4 cars (lets say 2916-2919), and united them, that would leave 5 cars for the entire shuttle.

Interestingly, there does not appear to be a large gap in (S) service at any time, even when the <A> is running. So when is the S suspended?

The only time I recall the Rockaway Park (S) being suspended was during G.O.'s where Far Rockaway Bound (A)'s went to Rockaway Park instead. I think that was when they were rehabing the all the Rockaway stations, I could be wrong though.

On a separate note, I rode the (J) this afternoon going towards Brooklyn when it skipped Canal St and Bowery. It was cool seeing the abandoned platforms.

Edited by S78 via Hylan

Interestingly, there does not appear to be a large gap in (S) service at any time, even when the <A> is running. So when is the S suspended?

Leaving Rock Park in the AMs:

H-0622

A-0638

H-0648

A-0659

H-0711

A-0719

H-0727

A-0739

H-0748

A-0759

Leaving Broad Channel in the AMs:

H-0645

H-0714

H-0736

Going reverse-peak during the time the showcase A's are running you have a 29 minute gap, and then a 22 minute gap. If it weren't for the A's, there would be huge gaps going peak direction as well. PM's doesn't get affected as badly because there are two shuttle sets running.