SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Uhhh... anybody know what's going on with Sea Beach Rehab, seems like they've stopped, was MTA pissed off at the first contractor, so they're seeking another one now? It's disappeared off the Special services section on the MTA homepage, oddly enough didn't remove (4) wkend wk.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Uhhh... anybody know what's going on with Sea Beach Rehab, seems like they've stopped, was MTA pissed off at the first contractor, so they're seeking another one now? It's disappeared off the Special services section on the MTA homepage, oddly enough didn't remove (4) wkend wk.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

The Manhattan bound side is finished now and the Coney island bound side should start soon. Usually there is an (N) via West End GO the week before it starts.

If the (C) went to Lefferts, wouldn't they need several more (A) trains to maintain service levels? Or, would every other (A) train turn at Howard Beach?

The (S) would be eliminated(except late nights) so those cars would be free to be used to extend half of the (A) service to Rockaway Park

Edited by GreatOne2k

Another issue with that which most ignore is that there would be another merge at Euclid.

I always bring that up. And the fact that now you'll have Rockaway trains more crowded until Rockaway blvd because of it as well. No one listens. Even if you're from Rockaway and remember when the C use to go to Rockaway. No one listens.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

I'm not even sure if I agree with having the (C) go to Lefferts and having all (A) 's go to Howard Beach/The Rockaways.

As for N6 Limited, yes you do in fact need some more cars for this particular service pattern.

Edited by Jemorie

MTA could've left space at 34 Street-Hudson Yard for a West Side Mall... Could've earned future revenue back to the MTA. Like the WTC Oculus which cost 4B but overtime will earn some of it back

WTC won't earn enough over its lifetime to justify the extra cost. 7 Line Extension already dumped an entire station to reduce cost.

MTA could've left space at 34 Street-Hudson Yard for a West Side Mall... Could've earned future revenue back to the MTA. Like the WTC Oculus which cost 4B but overtime will earn some of it back

Considering, there's going to be an even bigger mall less than block away in the Hudson Yards development, I doubt that would make the MTA much money. Expanding TurnStyle to other Midtown subway corridors (Gimbels corridor, the 35th-40th St passageway under 6th Avenue, the passageway between 7th and 8th Avenues under 14th Street) would be a better investment.

Edited by Around the Horn

WTC won't earn enough over its lifetime to justify the extra cost. 7 Line Extension already dumped an entire station to reduce cost.

Looking at the amount of foot traffic and upscale stores, in 20 years it will probably earned back what it invested

Considering, there's going to be an even bigger mall less than block away in the Hudson Yards development, I doubt that would make the MTA much money. Expanding TurnStyle to other Midtown subway corridors (Gimbels corridor, the 35th-40th St passageway under 6th Avenue, the passageway between 7th and 8th Avenues under 14th Street) would be a better investment.

I mean when they were building the station, could've added provisions for storefronts in the mezzanine level.

Just a slight correction, the 142's have shown up on the (3) in the past, but they're not officially assigned to the line. And they're made by Bombadier. The R142A's are Kawasaki.

thanks for clarifying. I figured discrepancies existed in my logic.

Let me know if you see any R142 or R142A stop at St. Nicholas Ave and 125th St in passenger service.

If this is regarding an earlier comment, It was never in passenger service. It was passing through and apparently it got stuck, forcing the daisy-chaining of three (A) trains, in which we were evacuated through one car poking in from the back of the uptown platform.

When I went to the center, a 5-car set that was very narrow and had been in revenue service elsewhere in the system was in front.

You know, I wouldn't be cracking jokes about that section of the system right now...

You may know the difference between the New Techs, but your original post says so much different about your story.

125th and St Mich on the A. The stalled train you said was an R143. Now its an R142. In the B division.

You know, it could've been an R188. If it were an R143 I wouldn't have looked as hard because the form factor wouldn't be an attention grabber in that part of the system.

The R143? That was genuinely a typo. I never meant it.

But it was narrower than the platform. Crazy yuge gap.

Like West Farms Square, but twice as big.

When you reply from a mobile client, sometimes you hit keys that are too close to each other.

This is why I prefer replying at the library or on my desktop client, where I can assess the full breadth of comments on a nice large screen and keys.