SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://apps.mta.info/traintime3/index.html#/app/updates

Rollout schedule of countdown clocks. I'm guessing CBTC for the (7) will be switched on in December considering its clocks will be activated by then.

It just says the number of stations but not which stations. And how does it work when a station that's shared with another line is further down on the list?

It just says the number of stations but not which stations. And how does it work when a station that's shared with another line is further down on the list?

The number of stations listed for each line is the number of stations not already covered by a line that has previously been officially activated on the countdown clock.

Take the (E) - "11 stations". The R and C will officially be online before the (E). The (E) has 32 stops along its route (not counting the trips to 179th St). All stops between Queens Plaza and 71st Avenue are already officially online, since they're covered under the R train. The stops between Canal St and 50th St will come online when the C does. That will leave 11 stations on the (E) line that aren't officially online - World Trade Center, 7th Avenue, 5th Avenue, Lexington Avenue, Court Square, 75th Avenue, Kew Gardens, Briarwood, Jamaica-Van Wyck, Sutphin Blvd and Jamaica Center.

Edited by Mysterious2train

How has the (M) been along Broadway? It must be nice for those heading past Myrtle to not have to transfer to the (J) at Myrtle when coming from midtown.

The number of stations listed for each line is the number of stations not already covered by a line that has previously been officially activated on the countdown clock.

Take the (E) - "11 stations". The R and C will officially be online before the (E). The (E) has 32 stops along its route (not counting the trips to 179th St). All stops between Queens Plaza and 71st Avenue are already officially online, since they're covered under the R train. The stops between Canal St and 50th St will come online when the C does. That will leave 11 stations on the (E) line that aren't officially online - World Trade Center, 7th Avenue, 5th Avenue, Lexington Avenue, Court Square, 75th Avenue, Kew Gardens, Briarwood, Jamaica-Van Wyck, Sutphin Blvd and Jamaica Center.

Ahh ok makes sense.. However if the (R) is already running, then why would the (W) have 24 stations on the list? 

How has the (M) been along Broadway? It must be nice for those heading past Myrtle to not have to transfer to the (J) at Myrtle when coming from midtown.

Ahh ok makes sense.. However if the (R) is already running, then why would the (W) have 24 stations on the list?

I'm not sure. The (N) has 17 stations that are not served by the R train - 7 Astoria Line stations and 10 Sea Beach Line stations. Count the Astoria line stations twice and you have 7 + 7 + 10 = 24. That still makes no sense but that's the only way I can think of to get 24 stations.

Edit: the 18th (N) station would be Canal St lower level I assume.

Edited by Mysterious2train

Has anyone been to the Second Avenue stations recently? With the disgusting heat and unbearably hot conditions in some stations (looking at you, West 4th and Broadway Lafayette), I'm genuinely curious if the Second Avenue stations are actually significantly cooler

They were hot, but not like sticky hot (I'm looking at you, 34th St - Herald Square)

Has anyone been to the Second Avenue stations recently? With the disgusting heat and unbearably hot conditions in some stations (looking at you, West 4th and Broadway Lafayette), I'm genuinely curious if the Second Avenue stations are actually significantly cooler

I DO NOT miss West 4. (I use to work In The tat shops upstairs).

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

Edited by Far Rock Depot

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Brand-New-Second-Avenue-Subway-Hot-Steamy-No-Climate-Control-434118813.html

Apparently the MTA still has not gotten clearance from the City to turn some aspects of climate control on. They're worried about pneumonia spreading through it, but they're claiming it'll be on "within the next two days"

Edited by YankeesPwnMets

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Brand-New-Second-Avenue-Subway-Hot-Steamy-No-Climate-Control-434118813.html

Apparently the MTA still has not gotten clearance from the City to turn some aspects of climate control on. They're worried about pneumonia spreading through it, but they're claiming it'll be on "within the next two days"

Apparently, the problem is they had to test it against Legionaries Disease and had not had a chance to test it until now.  

No he's actually right in a way. They're adding more of those now to the (1) Train R62As. It was only a few sets but alot of them has been recent getting those changes.

Hmm, interesting. I wonder why though. There isn't anything wrong with the old ones.

Will the new Count down clocks on the B division help dispatchers, etc know where all the rains are for a command center type operation? If so maybe they can make better decisions when it comes to cross overs and who gets priority, etc?

I hope so.  I think it's helped dispatching on the A division.  Usually when I take the (1), if a train is running late, they'll send it express; if the train behind it is late, they'll hold it for a minute.

A majority of the old ones are so faded that it's pretty much pinkish white instead of red for the (1).

As for the new roll signs on the (1), I've noticed that the sets that have been washed recently have the different roll signs.  It's a good thing for them since 240 Street doesn't have a wash and some of those (1) sets are filthy, especially being mostly underground.

A majority of the old ones are so faded that it's pretty much pinkish white instead of red for the (1).

As for the new roll signs on the (1), I've noticed that the sets that have been washed recently have the different roll signs.  It's a good thing for them since 240 Street doesn't have a wash and some of those (1) sets are filthy, especially being mostly underground.

Whoops...silly me.  :D

I misread what VIP said as well as Around the Horn and Daniel The Cool's responses related to what VIP said. I thought VIP said the window northern terminal/southern terminal window side signages, not the route bullet signages on the R62As' end faces. But thanks anyways though. Understand why the route bullets on the R62As' end faces is getting replaced.

Edited by Jemorie