SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

I dont understand why so many are calling the renovations bad. Look, when they renovates the stations here in Rockaway, the same thing happened!! For a few months the closes each aide of the stations, took down the canopy, redid the platform and half the mezzanine at a time. Then they reopened it with only half the platform open along the length of the stations and the canopy in finished and continued work while open. So what's the big deal. Its how they chose to renovate them. Want the stations closed longer?

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

There's no point in rushing to get them re-opened if the work is going to be shoddy. They could stick with the temporary platforms and keep working on the old ones.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems like the Clark Street tunnel shutdown helps the Lexington line on late Friday evenings and early Saturday mornings by relieving the crowded (4) train with the extra (5) service from Bowling Green. Maybe the Friday (5) shuttle service extensions from Dyre Avenue/Bowling Green (10:13/11:26, 10:26/11:40 10:38/11:55, 10:48/12:05) should be made permanent.

There's no point in rushing to get them re-opened if the work is going to be shoddy. They could stick with the temporary platforms and keep working on the old ones.

Temporary platforms aren't practical/possible at every station though. I'm sure the average rider doesn't care if the work seems 'rushed' if it means that they don't have to walk an extra 10 minutes to the next station or put up with a shuttle bus daily.

Mildly off topic, but what's with the public speakers at MTA board meetings. Most of the ones who aren't from an organization seem to be such a joke... Lots of name calling directed towards MTA officials, endless whining, and holding of grudges... 

Temporary platforms aren't practical/possible at every station though. I'm sure the average rider doesn't care if the work seems 'rushed' if it means that they don't have to walk an extra 10 minutes to the next station or put up with a shuttle bus daily.

We have to remember where the Sea Beach line was before the work started. Passengers were dodging chunks on concrete falling from the crumbling stations, hence my comment.  Given here terrible many of the stations were, I think the (MTA) owes it to the passengers to this done right to avoid such incidents down the line.

Mildly off topic, but what's with the public speakers at MTA board meetings. Most of the ones who aren't from an organization seem to be such a joke... Lots of name calling directed towards MTA officials, endless whining, and holding of grudges...

Some dude was even singing LOL

Are the closed stations being renovated during the L line closure?

Unfortunately no. Besides the addition of a new entrance at Ave A for the 1 Avenue station and elevators for both 1 Avenue and Bedford Av, no station renovations are being undertaken during the closure. It was mentioned somewhere else, but it bears repeating. This is a golden opportunity to sell extended station/line closures to the riders if they can see a significant benefit to them. Naturally, the MTA intends to blow this by not using the closure to their advantage. Following the 18-month absence of service, the Manhattan stations will look much as they do presently. While the risk of the cross-river tunnel failing will be removed with the repairs, most riders will not notice the change and will therefore be against such extended closures in the future. After all, if all they get is a massive headache from a very disruptive service change, why should they accept that anything will be different with the next proposed long-term closure?

On the flip side though, if we have to do the same thing in about five years because of shoddy work, is it really worth it? While I haven't had the opportunity to see the upgraded Sea Beach stations, I can say in general that I'd rather have the initial work extended to finish the project correctly the first time than have the workers come back at a later date to finish up.

When will the 6 line get its new cars back? I ride the 6 evryday and it doesent matter wat time I seem to get on 95% chance Ur gonna get an R62...The AC is sooo much better on the 142s and not to mention you can acually hear the announcement as to the 62..which is barlely audible at best. Damn that 7 swap out lol

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

People who are sane, generally employed, and productive members of society generally are not the ones showing up to board meetings, because they've got better shit to do.

When will the 6 line get its new cars back? I ride the 6 evryday and it doesent matter wat time I seem to get on 95% chance Ur gonna get an R62...The AC is sooo much better on the 142s and not to mention you can acually hear the announcement as to the 62..which is barlely audible at best. Damn that 7 swap out lol

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

yeah, you'll never get those cars "back", the (7) needed them for CBTC, since the R62As can't be updated for CBTC.

This is a golden opportunity to sell extended station/line closures to the riders if they can see a significant benefit to them. Naturally, the MTA intends to blow this by not using the closure to their advantage. Following the 18-month absence of service, the Manhattan stations will look much as they do presently. While the risk of the cross-river tunnel failing will be removed with the repairs, most riders will not notice the change and will therefore be against such extended closures in the future. After all, if all they get is a massive headache from a very disruptive service change, why should they accept that anything will be different with the next proposed long-term closure?

I could have sworn I read in some MTA document, they were going to improve circulation at Union Square...

Edited by Around the Horn

yeah, you'll never get those cars "back", the (7) needed them for CBTC, since the R62As can't be updated for CBTC.

I could have sworn I read in some MTA document, they were going to improve circulation at Union Square...

That is accurate. They want to add an escalator at Union Square if possible.

Agreed. I notice this every time I go to a meeting.

Unfortunately I cannot make it to the one being held tomorrow. Prior engagements unfortunately.

That is accurate. They want to add an escalator at Union Square if possible.

On a slant from your remark, I think some stations can still be made accessible even if they cannot accommodate an elevator shaft.

Some stations have numerous staircases.

I think the MTA should invest in Acorn stairlifts, which are easier to install, don't require excessive drilling and are easy to fold away.

The ones I envision should be in a metallic enclosure and activate with an Auto-gate token that puts a $0 hold on a reduced fare card only so it can't be abused by people who don't need it.

Speaking of escalators, is there a way to make some that have wider steps that can accommodate wheelchairs? I think some escalators in the system should be like that, and auto-gate enabled for reduced fare cards as well.

Another idea- escalators that activate when stepped on as opposed to being always on or prone...

On a slant from your remark, I think some stations can still be made accessible even if they cannot accommodate an elevator shaft.

Some stations have numerous staircases.

I think the MTA should invest in Acorn stairlifts, which are easier to install, don't require excessive drilling and are easy to fold away.

The ones I envision should be in a metallic enclosure and activate with an Auto-gate token that puts a $0 hold on a reduced fare card only so it can't be abused by people who don't need it.

Speaking of escalators, is there a way to make some that have wider steps that can accommodate wheelchairs? I think some escalators in the system should be like that, and auto-gate enabled for reduced fare cards as well.

Another idea- escalators that activate when stepped on as opposed to being always on or prone...

Acorn stairlifts don't meet ADA requirements for a public transportation facility, and then on top of that, they block other people from using said stairs while in use.

Strange idea, but what if the late-night (R) was sent to Chambers instead of Whitehall? It'd get it *much* better connections ( (A), (J), (2), (4), (6) vs (N) / (1) ). The only drawback I see is the confusion factor, but what do y'all think?

Strange idea, but what if the late-night (R) was sent to Chambers instead of Whitehall? It'd get it *much* better connections ( (A), (J), (2), (4), (6) vs (N) / (1) ). The only drawback I see is the confusion factor, but what do y'all think?

Eh, not really needed. Plus, it wouldn't be able to go to Chambers and platform at those stations. Edited by S78 via Hylan

Trains (R46) aren't allowed on the BMT east. They won't fit. As well as what someone else mentioned, the trains are too long.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

The (R) already has a transfer to the (J) and (6) trains at Canal Street. Besides, late night (R) trains only run in Brooklyn as a shuttle. (N) Trains make stops in that segment. Also, the (R) can't realistically end at Chambers unless you're talking about the WTC stop. Edited by Kingsbridgeviewer382