SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The KISS principle never enters your head, does it?

If they cut the (R) shuttle to five cars, they could have that (R) go to Essex and terminate there (allowing for connections at Fulton, Chambers and Canal Streets). 

But why? If the (R) doesn't serve Nassau St at any point during the day or evening hours, why in the neon green hell should it run to Chambers St or Essex St in the middle of the night? I know you're going to say it gives a transfer to the (6) and (J) at Canal St, but that isn't the point of the 4th Avenue (R) shuttle. The shuttle was extended to remove the need for a three-legged transfer at 36 Street and Atlantic Av. As you know, the extended (R) now hits almost every trunk line with the exception of the Jamaica/Centre St line. In fact, your need for a connection to the (6) is negated by the fact that (4) trains are running local during that time. Who are these riders that are demanding a service from Bay Ridge to Centre St during owl periods? You need to have a justification for such a service. A handful of riders every fortnight does not merit a service. Anyone who needs Jamaica service can transfer to the (J) via the (F) at Jay St. Until there is a significant need for such a service, Whitehall St works well as a northern terminal for the late night (R).

The KISS principle never enters your head, does it?

But why? If the (R) doesn't serve Nassau St at any point during the day or evening hours, why in the neon green hell should it run to Chambers St or Essex St in the middle of the night? I know you're going to say it gives a transfer to the (6) and (J) at Canal St, but that isn't the point of the 4th Avenue (R) shuttle. The shuttle was extended to remove the need for a three-legged transfer at 36 Street and Atlantic Av. As you know, the extended (R) now hits almost every trunk line with the exception of the Jamaica/Centre St line. In fact, your need for a connection to the (6) is negated by the fact that (4) trains are running local during that time. Who are these riders that are demanding a service from Bay Ridge to Centre St during owl periods? You need to have a justification for such a service. A handful of riders every fortnight does not merit a service. Anyone who needs Jamaica service can transfer to the (J) via the (F) at Jay St. Until there is a significant need for such a service, Whitehall St works well as a northern terminal for the late night (R).

That was simply a response to other posters who noted the Fulton Street transfer as why the (R) should run to at least Chambers, but you're right, most can make that transfer at Jay-Metrotech or Court Street respectively.  

I’m lost in this thread. Why is there talk of extending the (R) even further into Manhattan at night? I thought this discussion was finished a while back when we talked about the number of transfers afforded to the (R) by extending it to Whitehall Street–South Ferry at night from its former terminal at 36 Street.

Like Lance said, the night-time extended (R) does not need to run anywhere above Whitehall Street for obvious reasons. Anybody who needs the (J) for Nassau Street, Centre Street, and/or Jamaica can take the (A) or (F) first at Jay Street. I doubt the BMT Nassau Street/Jamaica corridor even warrants the (R) there anyway.

I’m lost in this thread. Why is there talk of extending the (R) even further into Manhattan at night? I thought this discussion was finished a while back when we talked about the number of transfers afforded to the (R) by extending it to Whitehall Street–South Ferry at night from its former terminal at 36 Street.

Take a number. We're all lost here.

Take a number. We're all lost here.

I was responding to a post several pages back.  That's where this was brought up by others (someone suggesting moving the (R) to Nassau late nights because of the Fulton Transfers), forgetting other than the (6) (at Chambers), ALL of the Fulton Transfers can be made in Brooklyn.  

Edited by Wallyhorse

I was responding to a post several pages back.  That's where this was brought up by others (someone suggesting moving the (R) to Nassau late nights because of the Fulton Transfers), forgetting other than the (6) (at Chambers), ALL of the Fulton Transfers can be made in Brooklyn.  

Responding with a rejection is also an option.

Always wondered why R32's 3890 and 3891 aren't paired up with each other. Wouldn't it have been easier to put 3380 with 3520?

During the GOH era, the 32s were rebuilt on the basis of how bad they were, so the worse ones were done first. Not all of them were done with its respective mate, so there were many mismatched sets. Not counting the few that were mismatched because of accidents.