SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

3 hours ago, Lance said:

It was probably cheaper when it was designed back in 2005. That's one of the drawbacks to large orders like the R160 or the upcoming R211, the inability to change the components mid-order as the technology becomes cheaper or goes in a different direction than it was when the order was created.

Plus, the FIND was one of the first spec changes.  The R160s originally were supposed to have the same strip maps as the R142/R143.  Back in the early 2000s, screen technology wasn't as cheap as it is now.  Prices only fell through the floor a few years ago.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Earlier I was riding a northbound (4) past Fordham and I saw a <4> also heading north on the middle track (no it wasn’t an extended Burnside drop; it was 6pm and the Burnside drops start after 6:30)

The (4) had more riders on it by far. Thats why all the <4> experiments have failed: too many people use the local stops to make it worthwhile.

38 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

Earlier I was riding a northbound (4) past Fordham and I saw a <4> also heading north on the middle track (no it wasn’t an extended Burnside drop; it was 6pm and the Burnside drops start after 6:30)

The (4) had more riders on it by far. Thats why all the <4> experiments have failed: too many people use the local stops to make it worthwhile.

Whatever happened to the (F) express pilot?

You can actually skip that punch and just do Canal. Not supposed to, but not essential either. Happens a fair amount, as T/Os often overrun that box a little bit. I think it's the opposite of modernization, just a relic. 

Edited by MHV9218

15 hours ago, CTK246 said:

Whatever happened to the (F) express pilot?

1. The local stations that the <F> would bypass, especially around Prospect Park, have relatively high ridership.
2. The MTA is waiting until the Culver Rehab is done to even consider it.

20 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

The On the Go Kiosks at Kew Gardens were turned on today.

What's that?

42 minutes ago, Bosco said:

1. The local stations that the <F> would bypass, especially around Prospect Park, have relatively high ridership.
2. The MTA is waiting until the Culver Rehab is done to even consider it.

This is why Bergen Lower level should re-open to provide a connection before the crosstown diverge.

45 minutes ago, LGA Link N train said:

I have a random Question, depending on the branch line, is it possible to move capacity over from a trunk line into a branch. Take the Rockaway Beach Branch and QBL as an example 

I don’t think I understand what you’re asking. Are you asking if you can add trains onto a branch from a main? If so, yes, of course you can  — if you couldn’t there would be no branching in our subway. 

If you’re asking if that is politically feasible, it depends/is complicated. In the RBB’s case, I’d think it’d be possible. 

59 minutes ago, RR503 said:

I don’t think I understand what you’re asking. Are you asking if you can add trains onto a branch from a main? If so, yes, of course you can  — if you couldn’t there would be no branching in our subway. 

If you’re asking if that is politically feasible, it depends/is complicated. In the RBB’s case, I’d think it’d be possible. 

Ok thanks

1 hour ago, RR503 said:

It would be Ideal, from the standpoint that conga lines would be reduced if one of the locals branches off to Far Rockaway.

I wonder if there was track work on the QBL and all service was local if they could terminate the local trains at Howard Beach or something so that the (E) and (F) could run through unimpeded.

13 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

So last night the (2) was running express, while the (3) was terminating at 34th St and so they had (2) trains waiting for the (3) to clear before being able to proceed. Why don't they just switch the (2) to the local track at 14th street until 34th street so that it's not held up?

As circular as this sounds, because the (2) was running express. It usually goes local 96-Chambers but there was obviously some GO that had them going exp. 

29 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

It would be Ideal, from the standpoint that conga lines would be reduced if one of the locals branches off to Far Rockaway.

I wonder if there was track work on the QBL and all service was local if they could terminate the local trains at Howard Beach or something so that the (E) and (F) could run through unimpeded.

What would happen to 67 ave? 

1 hour ago, RR503 said:

As circular as this sounds, because the (2) was running express. It usually goes local 96-Chambers but there was obviously some GO that had them going exp. 

Interesting. The (1) was still running local so it would have been nice if they could've switched tracks for a few stations for customer service purposes.

1 hour ago, RR503 said:

What would happen to 67 ave? 

It would get served by moving (E) and (F) trains, as opposed to a steady stream of chronically delayed trains because of terminating (R) service one station away while thru trains are running on the same track.

-----------------------------------------------

Speaking of which, if train traffic and track work are causing (synergistic) delays, why don't they increase headway and just tell people that service has been reduced to mitigate congestion and heavy delays in track work areas?

Interesting about the (1) — idk then. Maybe someone else will comment. 

...doink! I did not read your post fully. My apologies. Yes, then the (R) could be sent to Howard beach, the only issue being that it wouldn’t allow trains to head directly to Jamaica yard once terminated, and in terms of maintaining service, is farther away so would lengthen headways. 

Given that weekend/late night service is already atrocious, I think it’d be better to rationalize flagging rules, no? The fact trains have to crawl at 10 for about a quarter mile on all adjacent tracks seems arcane... there must be some sort of happy medium between what we have and what existed before. 

Edited by RR503

16 minutes ago, RR503 said:

Interesting about the (1) — idk then. Maybe someone else will comment. 

...doink! I did not read your post fully. My apologies. Yes, then the (R) could be sent to Howard beach, the only issue being that it wouldn’t allow trains to head directly to Jamaica yard once terminated, and in terms of maintaining service, is farther away so would lengthen headways. 

Given that weekend/late night service is already atrocious, I think it’d be better to rationalize flagging rules, no? The fact trains have to crawl at 10 for about a quarter mile on all adjacent tracks seems arcane... there must be some sort of happy medium between what we have and what existed before. 

Yes Flagging rules need to be addressed. I think they started putting up barriers between tracks but they barely use them. Also they need to extend (R) service to 179th, or terminate them at Queens Plaza when all trains are using the same track.

4 minutes ago, RR503 said:

Terminating the (R) there normally is a terrible idea. You'd clog the interlocking with (R) trains snaking across 2 lanes of traffic to access the middle layup track. This is why the (G) was cut back -- too damn inefficient. 

Normally, it's not a good idea, but during QBL track work it's great. (R) trains pull in on the local track at Queens plaza, it only has to cross the express track to get to the middle layup track. This should not be a problem on weekends where all Jamaica bound service uses one track.

31 minutes ago, AdonisDimaggio said:

Terminating at Queens Plaza might be a good idea. It does not seem like Forest Hills needs the extra (R) trains.  This will save you trains that you can put on the (Q) for 96 St. Otherwise you can have them ready for the (G)  when the (L) shutdown starts.

Forest Hills does not need the trains when the (E) and (F) run local. Both services run frequently enough that they provide sufficient service by themselves when both are running local. No need to add the (R) to clog up the tracks at Forest Hills while terminating.