SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

12 hours ago, paulrivera said:

Interesting move by the (MTA) expanding the midday GO window to 9:30am to 3:30pm. I get why they did it (to increase worker productivity) but won't it affect service quality at the tail end when the schools let out?

They're expanding the windows on all service change periods. Some night work is starting at 10pm and weekend work can begin as early as 8pm on Friday if this weekend's (E) advisories are anything to go by.

9 hours ago, Calvin said:

A couple of thoughts on the (7) line:

* I remember some stations have countdown clocks, IIRC

*Also, if the 5th car of the train isn't working properly, can the c/r move to the 6th car of the train to open and close the doors of the train (for example, 33 St-Rawson St) ?

I know both Grand Central and 5 Avenue have them installed. They aren't wired in yet, so no PSAs about nonsense. As for your second point, I'd imagine it's possible. I saw a conductor managing the doors from the 5th car when I was on the (6) a couple of days ago.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It depends on what's above the station. If there's nothing above and it's just the road, it's much easier than if there was say, several buildings, electrical and plumbing materials, etc. above the tracks and tunnels.

On the subject of the matter, what would be gained by extending the shuttle platform at Bowling Green? It doesn't connect to anything besides the old South Ferry station and that can only handle five cars.

3 hours ago, PMac18 said:

Does anyone know the reason for this recent move? Why the rest of the R142A trains were sent to the (4) besides just one train?

I guess those R142As is to cover service since the (4) lost a few of it's Bombardier R142s to the (2)(5).

18 hours ago, Calvin said:

*Also, if the 5th car of the train isn't working properly, can the c/r move to the 6th car of the train to open and close the doors of the train (for example, 33 St-Rawson St) ?

IDK about ntt but I rode an R62A 1 train and 6th car the C/R normally works in had broken A/C, so the C/R operated from the 5th car.

6 minutes ago, JTrainUK said:

Is it just me or has the Broadway 7th Ave (1)(2)(3) line been really unreliable recently? It has delays again now...

Most lines have been and generally are unreliable. Even our best lines are delayed close to one fifth of the time which is beyond unacceptable for a major subway system. 

20 hours ago, Calvin said:

I don't see why that would be a problem as the cabs are right next to each other (the 5-car sets are always facing Manhattan, the 6-car sets always facing Queens).

19 hours ago, Ntrainfave said:

What's the difference between Alstom and Siemens R160s other than the sound of the motor? 

Also same question for the difference between R160A and R160B (alstom) besides the sound of the doors opening?

In addition to the other obvious differences, the mechanics are somewhat different.  Siemens motors accelerate and decelerate slightly faster than the Alstom motors on startup.  However, the Alstom motors have better braking (regenerative braking cuts out at 1 mph, as opposed to 4 mph on the Siemens sets).  This is why they try not to mix the two sets, even though it's possible and has been done on rare occasions.

A little fun fact about the door motors: the Vapor motors are mechanical (they move through a thread, hence the whirring sound).  OTOH, the Fuji motors are magnetic (hence why they are silent).  Intuitively, the Fuji motors are more reliable but also more expensive.

4 hours ago, Daniel The Cool said:

Jamaica Center And Sutphin Blvd was reportedly to already have the countdown clocks when the (E) Train stations were completed.

Just because the (E) was one of the earlier lines to get countdown clocks doesn't mean the (J) got them at the same time.  Multi-level stations (such as 145 St (A)(B)(C)(D)) are being done separately. While the upper level at 145 St (A)(C) have been online for a while, the lower level (B)(D) just went online a week ago.

Edited by Bosco

Just now, Bosco said:

Just because the (E) was one of the earlier lines to get countdown clocks doesn't mean the (J) got them at the same time.  Multi-level stations (such as 145 St (A)(B)(C)(D)) are being done separately. While the upper level at 145 St (A)(C) have been online for a while, the lower level (B)(D) just went online a week ago.

According to this post from Lance in another thread

Jamaica Center and Sutphin-Archer use the same station codes for both levels.

https://www.nyctransitforums.com/topic/50659-countdown-clocks-are-active-on-the-r-line/?do=findComment&comment=939201

I cannot speak for when the actual clocks were turned on at Jamaica Center and Sutphin Blvd on the (J) line, but SubwayTime has included real-time information for the (J) at those stops since the clocks were turned on for the (E) line back in the summer.

1 hour ago, S78 via Hylan said:

Construction at 121 St is finally moving along as the platform has been rebuilt along with part of the wall.

It's about time. Maybe we'll get it and 104 Street back in service before the Astoria rehabs are complete.

Edited by Lance

On 11/4/2017 at 10:16 PM, s111limited said:

Just curious, why do a lot of R143s on the (L) have howling motors? I first started noticing them with those sounds around early 2015.

If you're talking about the sound it makes when they accelerate, that's because the R143, R142 and R188 are Kawasaki-built. They seem to share the same components for propulsion.

5 hours ago, MassTransitHonchkrow said:

If you're talking about the sound it makes when they accelerate, that's because the R143, R142A and R188 are Kawasaki-built. They seem to share the same components for propulsion.

While those are Kawasaki trains, those have AdTranz/Bombardier propulsion packages.  Even then howling motors are not limited to those trains.  There are plenty of howling Alstom-powered trains and a few Siemens sets as well.  

As for the cause of the howling, I'm not entirely sure but I am curious as well.

32 minutes ago, Bosco said:

While those are Kawasaki trains, those have AdTranz/Bombardier propulsion packages.  Even then howling motors are not limited to those trains.  There are plenty of howling Alstom-powered trains and a few Siemens sets as well.  

As for the cause of the howling, I'm not entirely sure but I am curious as well.

Is the howl kinda like an extra tone during acceleration?  Possible the motor and power supply are out of sync? I know the R143's are based on a 3 phase system I was at Kawasaki for those. So it's all based on power frequency and phases as all AC inductions are.  Could be something there. I've been removed from the industry for about 14 years I do understand the basics but maybe someone that works in the shop knows a bit more.

Edited by RailRunRob