SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

The howling is the motors themselves not the propulsion

Never heard a howling AC motor send me an example if you can? The trains CPU handles phase(Pole) switching on newer cars so sometimes if things are out of sync that can show up as heat or types or sound. A reset of the trains CPU can fix some of the that from what I know. The other thing I could think of is the Inverter IGBT (Shurgs). Are we talking a sound like the Redbirds or even some R46/68's howling like that? Interesting. 

Edited by RailRunRob

27 minutes ago, itmaybeokay said:

I'm not sure if this is what they're talking about - if so, sounds like, might be gearbox? Note that the inverter whine starts before the train moves, but the 'howl' seems to pitch proportional with train speed. 

Indeed. If it's not the Motor Theres just 3 parts before the wheelset. The coupler and the gearbox sounds like the gearbox IMO. Interesting this is fairly new phenomenon correct? With the NTT's it happened over a period of time?  

Edited by RailRunRob

11 minutes ago, RailRunRob said:

Indeed. If it's not the Motor There just 3 parts before the wheelset. The coupler and the gearbox sounds like the gearbox IMO. Interesting this is fairly new phenomenon correct? With the NTT's it happened over a period of time?  

Actually - Rob, what do you know about the type of bearings those trucks use? 

Ages ago when I had this cranky old BMW, one of the rear wheel bearings went dodgy on me and the rumble resonated through the body making it sound like I had put a giant playing card in the spokes of a 50 foot bicycle. I feel like the sound of a failed (or aging) bearing resonating through the wheels and rails could sound like this. 

But yeah - if it's just the gearbox, I at least don't remember this noise, which means either 

1- The gearboxes are doing this as they age - which would generally be a bad sign as that means parts are different geometry than they used to be.  

2- Replacement gearbox parts or gearbox assemblies do this and the old ones don't.

42 minutes ago, itmaybeokay said:

Actually - Rob, what do you know about the type of bearings those trucks use? 

Ages ago when I had this cranky old BMW, one of the rear wheel bearings went dodgy on me and the rumble resonated through the body making it sound like I had put a giant playing card in the spokes of a 50 foot bicycle. I feel like the sound of a failed (or aging) bearing resonating through the wheels and rails could sound like this. 

But yeah - if it's just the gearbox, I at least don't remember this noise, which means either 

1- The gearboxes are doing this as they age - which would generally be a bad sign as that means parts are different geometry than they used to be.  

2- Replacement gearbox parts or gearbox assemblies do this and the old ones don't.

I’m not 100% sure on the NYC spec I believe it’s a variation of a Journaled based bearing. But I get your drift didn’t think of that I’m sure they’d have some process of lubitcation as well. But that could definitely be a possibility. 

5 hours ago, Bosco said:

While those are Kawasaki trains, those have AdTranz/Bombardier propulsion packages.  Even then howling motors are not limited to those trains.  There are plenty of howling Alstom-powered trains and a few Siemens sets as well.  

As for the cause of the howling, I'm not entirely sure but I am curious as well.

I figured other parts came from elsewhere.

I'm sure if you bring it up, it'll be brushed over until the real reason actually hurts someone.

Then the finger pointing shall commence. 👈👆👉👇

16 minutes ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

Are the people who insisted that JYD were going to send all their R46's to CIYD this past weekend in exchange for R160's because of CBTC (as if it's being implemented next week)  coming, admit they were wrong?

So much for your reliable sources!  

When did anyone say that?

11 hours ago, Bosco said:

While we're on the topic, let's not forget that "howling" motors are not limited to NTTs.  The R68s are some of the loudest howlers in the system.

So you have two very different types of motors making the same types of sounds? I remember it on the SMEE cars. Kinda why I didnt understand the sound on AC motors. To @itmaybeokays point really could be something with the Wheels/ bearings? That seems the common components on both types. Some type of friction in that area no?

Edited by RailRunRob

54 minutes ago, RailRunRob said:

So you have two very different types of motors making the same types of sounds? I remember it on the SMEE cars. Kinda why I didnt understand the sound on AC motors. To @itmaybeokays point really could be something with the Wheels/ bearings? That seems the common components on both types. Some type of friction in that area no?

The AC motors by design are 'frictionless,' so any howling has to come from mechanical components.  I would imagine it's either the wheels/bearings or possibly the gearbox.

I can’t provide a link right now as I’m on my phone, but a few hours ago, a couple of videos were posted onto Youtube of some (M) trains running via the (R) to Bay Ridge! Certainly not the most common diversion, almost reminiscent of the (brownM)

1 hour ago, JTrainUK said:

I can’t provide a link right now as I’m on my phone, but a few hours ago, a couple of videos were posted onto Youtube of some (M) trains running via the (R) to Bay Ridge! Certainly not the most common diversion, almost reminiscent of the (brownM)

LOL that took place last week

1 hour ago, JTrainUK said:

And like always, most trains were signed up as last stop. I still think that in the event of an emergency reroute, conductors should be allowed to change their program to whatever line they'e running on to minimize confusion.

9 minutes ago, VIP said:

Why are R32’s getting their roofs painted? Nothin was wrong with them in the first place. Money spent for nothing. 

Probably SMS. If not, it's part of Cuomo's crap agenda which also includes turning Penn into a mall and painting R160s into daycare centers.

Edited by R68OnBroadway