SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A study was recently published and I'm not too surprised at how NYC ranks:

The study is here:

https://www.arcadis.com/en/global/our-perspectives/sustainable-cities-mobility-index-2017/comparing-cities/?tf=tab-profit&sf=all&r=north_america&c=all

In terms of the continent, were 1st, but other rankings are lower: the lower the ranking, the worse the score

Commute time: 22 out of 23 (Summer of Hell, anyone?)

Economic opportunity: 9 out of 23 (I disagree with this)

Public finance: 21 out of 23 (with $40 billion in debt, a gold-digging guv 'nor, and a stubborn resistance by the mayor to MoveNY plan, how else?)

Road network efficiency: 23 out of 23 (sorry, Moses - you tried)

Affordability: 15 out of 23 (with fares 27% higher than nat'l inflation and 50% higher than surrounding agencies, this will only get worse)

Utilization: 5 out of 23 (managing delays has gotten better, but the MTA should really consider the Triboro Rail, largely disused by revenue trains but reliable for cargo transport)

So, when riding around on the (6) to Bowling Green G.O, I decided to stay on the train to see the old SF Loop again. Surprisingly, the loop station is literally the same as it was before it closed, the lights are still on, cameras are still working, gap fillers were still there, even the trash hasn't been taken out from the bins lol. The only difference is the passageway to the (R) and (W) has some type of weird non-permenant wall below the stair case, and the stair case to the exit has planks of wood all over the place. I wonder when they will actually start to convert it to an abandoned station, it's literally wasting power right now.

3 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

So, when riding around on the (6) to Bowling Green G.O, I decided to stay on the train to see the old SF Loop again. Surprisingly, the loop station is literally the same as it was before it closed, the lights are still on, cameras are still working, gap fillers were still there, even the trash hasn't been taken out from the bins lol. The only difference is the passageway to the (R) and (W) has some type of weird non-permenant wall below the stair case, and the stair case to the exit has planks of wood all over the place. I wonder when they will actually start to convert it to an abandoned station, it's literally wasting power right now.

I do honestly wonder if that's happening elsewhere too?

The MTA wastes a lot of things. I hear their electric bill is unbelievable.

1 minute ago, MassTransitHonchkrow said:

I do honestly wonder if that's happening elsewhere too?

The MTA wastes a lot of things. I hear their electric bill is unbelievable.

Yeah. No sh*t Sherlock. That’s what happens when you run trains...on electricity.

On 11/8/2017 at 3:22 PM, SmallParkShuttle said:

Anybody notice that the Transit layer on Google Maps now has the station outlines for NYC Subway? Or am I just late to the game?

Did you know that Bee-Line bus data is now available on Google Maps? I was an important help in that game...

If they take MetroCard, they should be included. Plain and simple.

NICE bus data was available courtesy of the private operator, Transdev, which is painstakignly detailed and rich.

Just now, RR503 said:

Yeah. No sh*t Sherlock. That’s what happens when you run trains...on electricity.

You took my remarks out of context. Don't be an arse.

The MTA never does anything in moderation, and by citing utility costs, it should have led to a discussion concerning wasteful spending and energy independence, which is more attainable than either congestion pricing or the millionaire's tax, certain to be shot down by the 7 senators representing the MTA suburban service area.

If you have nothing to say to further the conversation, don't further the conversation. I am a trigger happy muter. Just ask :bus_bullet_b35: via Church.

One station lighting system will do little in the grander scheme of MTA electric costs. Of all wasteful agency functions, power is waaay down on my list. Regenerative braking, led/fluorescent lighting, and better station design have done much do moderate consumption. Yes, the MTA is wasteful af, but this is a difficult battle with a small payoff. Why don’t you focus on union rules, overmanagement, siloing, etc. 

As for energy independence, we once had it — the IRT built its own power station. However, it was deemed more cost effective to draw power from the grid at large, something we do to this day. In this age, building new power stations is untenable politically, so that’s what we need to work with. 

Edited by RR503

5 hours ago, paulrivera said:

What is this I hear about conductors no longer being able to say "ladies and gentlemen"? A supposed memo came out this week with a new directive on how to address riders with more gender neutral terminology...

I guess they'll have to call in Charlie Pellett to re-record the PSA announcements as well...

This is really dumb. I don't want people to be offended but this is really dumb. Who is offended by this? This is courteous.

https://www.amny.com/transit/mta-announcements-1.14880905

This is going too far.

I'm so glad we're focused on the major issues here. I didn't realize that every station is completely spotless, every train runs on time and the MTA is just about to open the full Second Ave line. Here I thought we had more pressing things to deal with, but obviously I'm mistaken. This is what's important right now.

To answer your question @Union Tpke, probably a member of the professionally offended got annoyed (under the guise of defending the transgender community in this case), complained to someone in power who actually listened and passed the directive down to the MTA. It's amazing that it only takes one person to get offended to get things like this done, but it takes several committees and red tape up the wazoo to get anything useful accomplished.

Edited by Lance

12 minutes ago, Lance said:

I'm so glad we're focused on the major issues here. I didn't realize that every station is completely spotless, every train runs on time and the MTA is just about to open the full Second Ave line. Here I thought we had more pressing things to deal with, but obviously I'm mistaken. This is what's important right now.

To answer your question @Union Tpke, probably a member of the professionally offended got annoyed (under the guise of defending the transgender community in this case), complained to someone in power who actually listened and passed the directive down to the MTA. It's amazing that it only takes one person to get offended to get things like this done, but it takes several committees and red tape up the wazoo to get anything useful accomplished.

People need to start being offended by lack of on-time performance then.