SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Abba said:

So how did they terminate both the (J) and (M) at Broadway Junction.Thats impossible.No?

Not impossible, but it probably resulted in a conga line before the Junction.  They likely also had some additional (M) trains terminate at 2 Av (which they already do during rush hours).

13 hours ago, Bosco said:

Not impossible, but it probably resulted in a conga line before the Junction.  They likely also had some additional (M) trains terminate at 2 Av (which they already do during rush hours).

Knowing how the MTA operates, they probably took all the (M) trains from Broadway Junction all the way to Forest Hills out of service.

On 11/13/2017 at 10:54 PM, VIP said:

I saw some of the faces of shock and disbelief. But also anyone know what happened to (J) service around 3:30pm at Norwood Avenue ? There were no trains in both directions for a couple hours. 

An investigation happened though I don't know that much info, and since I usually take the (J) to/from Norwood Avenue. I ended up getting completely diverted to the (A) and (G) lines, to then take the (E)(M) to go home. This was a few days ago

Here's a purely hypothetical question. 

Assuming:

- Coney Island has enough capacity to turn back 3 Brighton services.

- The Franklin Shuttle is extended to Bedford/Nostrand with a stop at Gates.

- All platforms on the Franklin Shuttle are extended to 600 feet.

-The Franklin Shuttle can access the express tracks north of Prospect Park as well as the local ones.

(I know that's a LOT of assumptions, but bear with me.)

Would it be helpful to run service from Coney Island to Bedford/Nostrand? Many people on the Brighton line need neither Broadway nor 6th Avenue, and thus transfer to the IRT Manhattan lines at Atlantic Av, or to the 8 Av line at West 4 St. The hypothetical service could move transfers from Atlantic and W 4th Street to Botanic Garden and Franklin Av.

Obviously, this isn't needed now, but it is possible that in some decades, ridership on the Brighton will increase to much higher levels. The frequencies of the B and Q are limited by DeKalb and 34th Street, along with terminal capacity at the B's north end.

If this hypothetical service is deemed useful, would it be better as a Brighton Local or Brighton Express?

Please keep in mind that I'm not saying any of this will happen. Sometimes it's simply interesting to ponder hypothetical situations.

Historically, the MTA, or the private comonay in charge, has come up with the numbering scheme. They are numbered anywhere from between 1 and 9999. Each model has its own number block, which is usually any block that happens to be free at the time.

The numbering has almost always been sequential; that is, cabs and coaches are not distinguished with their own distinct blocks as they are in other countries. The BMT Triplexes had an ABC scheme for each unit in a set (6001A-B-C, 6002A-B-C, 6003A-B-C, and so on), and the BMT experimental fleets (Green Hornet, Zephyr, the Multisections, and the Blue Birds) had a somewhat similar ABC setup.

Some work cars recently had received 5 numbers (basically an extra 1 slapped in front).

I'll list the more recent orders (R32 and above).

BOLD - Active in passenger service, regardless of amount, or currently testing for future service.

ITALIC - Completely retired or only used in work capacity.

B-Division

R32, Budd: 3350-3949

R38, St. Louis: 3950-4149

R40 Slant, St. Louis: 4150-4449 (4250-4349 were originally 4350-4549)

R40 Modified, St. Louis: 4450-4549 (Were originally 4250-4349 before they decided to have all the Slants in order)

R42, St. Louis: 4550-4949

R44, St. Louis: 5202-5479 (Were orginally 100-387; 10 were never renumbered because they had been retired)

R44 Staten Island, St. Louis: 388-466 (Never renumbered; 436-466 are only EVEN numbers)

R46, Pullman: 5482-6258 (Were originally 500-1278; 6208-6258 are only EVEN numbers and were EVEN 1228-1278)

R68, Westinghouse-Amrail: 2500-2924 (75 feet; 4-car sets)

R68A, Kawasaki: 5201-5200 (75 feet; 4-car sets)

R110B, Bombardier: 3001-3009 (67 feet; 3-car sets)

R143, Kawasaki: 8101-8312 (4-car sets)

R160A-1, Alstom: 8313-8652 (4-car sets)

R160A-2, Alstom: 8653-8712 (5-car sets)

R160B, Kawasaki: 8713-9232; 9803-9942 (5-car sets)

R160A, Alstom: 9233-9802 (5-car sets); 9943-9974 (4-car sets)

R179, Bombardier: 3010-3049 (5-car sets); 3050-3309 (4-car sets)

A-Division

R33, St. Louis: 8806-9305

R33WF, St. Louis: 9306-9345

R36WF, St. Louis: 9346-9523 (Singles); 9558-9769

R36, St. Louis: 9524-9557

R62, Kawasaki: 1301-1625 (5-car sets)

R62A, Bombardier; 1650-2475 (5-car sets with the exception of the singles used on the Times Square shuttle)

R110A, Kawasaki: 8001-8010 (5-car sets)

R142, Bombardier: 1101-1250; 6301-7180 (5-car sets)

R142A, Kawasaki: 7591-7810 (5-car sets)

R188, Kawasaki: 7211-7590 (Were originally R142A before being refurbished into R188); 7811-7898 (5-car and 6-car sets); 7899-7936 (Singles inserted into some refurbished 7211-7590 5-car sets to make 6-car sets)

To add on, each "R" number refers to a order number for passenger cars or various work equipment by the subway agency. The "R" designation comes from the Independent Subway System when the city opened the 8th Avenue line to compete with the private BMT and IRT companies. When the two private companies folded into the city owned subway in 1940, any new car orders also gained the "R" prefix.

Do any of you think that providing a free out-of-system transfer between the (1) and the (R)(W)(E)(A)(C)(2)(3) at Cortlandt Street would be worth it for any commuters? I can't think of a useful scenario, and I think being distracted by the mall on your way over would be more complicated than it's worth.

For this reason, I also don't see why the free out-of-system transfer between the (F)(Q) and the (N)(R)(W)(4)(5)(6) is even worthwhile anymore, now that the SAS is open and the (F) is no longer isolated (it's a long freakin' walk!).

I know I’m going off topic here, but you know how the MTA has done 6 Av Line weekend shutdowns similar to a Fastrack? Maybe they should try other trunk lines and reroutes:

Example: Broadway Line (south of 34 St)

- (N) runs only between Astoria and 34 St (bypasses 49 St northbound due to switch configuration). Shuttle buses replace Sea Beach Service so that workers can continue with station rehabs. If no sea beach work is scheduled, reroute (D) via 4 Av local and have the (N) express from Atlantic Av to 59 st, then via Sea Beach to Stillwell Av

- (Q) runs via 6 Av in Manhattan

- (R) does not run between Court St and 71 Av

8 Av Line

(A) train rerouted via 6 Av and makes all stops in Brooklyn

(C) does not run south of 59 St Columbus Circle (keeps (A) train express between 168-59 Sts

(E) rerouted via 6 Av from 5 Av-53 St to 2 Av

7 Av Line (concurrent with current Sandy Reroutes)

(1)  (2) - no service south of 34 St

(3) no trains running and shuttle buses cover service north of 135 St

(4)(5) extend into Brooklyn as they already do during weekend sandy recover work in the Clark st tunnel.

I'm not sure if this warrants a new thread or not but I would advise anyone who is interested in the subway system to read today's article in the NY Times. I've known for years what the article points out about the mismanagement in the subway system and the flaws in the (MTA) operation as it relates to the day to day performance but I feel that the article connected the dots better than I ever could. I've pointed out many times that the tracks and signals are the most important components in the subway system. I know that from training and experience. It's frustrating when I read articles and posts about late trains written by reporters and posters who then go on wax poetic about countdown clocks or Wi-Fi in stations. If you really want to know why your commute times have increased blame the politicians from both parties ,  mayors and governors,  who have blinded you with the shiny and new while behind the curtain the subway system sinks deeper into disrepair. R179, R211, SAS phase 2, 3, and 4 ? Yeah right. I doubt if the current leadership could safely run a Lionel train around a circular track. Read the full article and respond with your thoughts.  Carry on. 

1 minute ago, Trainmaster5 said:

I'm not sure if this warrants a new thread or not but I would advise anyone who is interested in the subway system to read today's article in the NY Times. I've known for years what the article points out about the mismanagement in the subway system and the flaws in the (MTA) operation as it relates to the day to day performance but I feel that the article connected the dots better than I ever could. I've pointed out many times that the tracks and signals are the most important components in the subway system. I know that from training and experience. It's frustrating when I read articles and posts about late trains written by reporters and posters who then go on wax poetic about countdown clocks or Wi-Fi in stations. If you really want to know why your commute times have increased blame the politicians from both parties ,  mayors and governors,  who have blinded you with the shiny and new while behind the curtain the subway system sinks deeper into disrepair. R179, R211, SAS phase 2, 3, and 4 ? Yeah right. I doubt if the current leadership could safely run a Lionel train around a circular track. Read the full article and respond with your thoughts.  Carry on. 

Oh, the New York Times? The same one that a certain someone from Riverdale, who supports a certain president who believes the Times is a failed newspaper, thinks is too leftist?...

2 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

I'm not sure if this warrants a new thread or not but I would advise anyone who is interested in the subway system to read today's article in the NY Times. ......

Read the full article and respond with your thoughts.  Carry on. 

This one?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/18/nyregion/new-york-subway-system-failure-delays.html 

2 hours ago, GojiMet86 said:

Oh, the New York Times? The same one that a certain someone from Riverdale, who supports a certain president who believes the Times is a failed newspaper, thinks is too leftist?...

The Times is very leftist.

17 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

Thanks for posting the article itself. I was on a tablet when I read it and kept losing wi-fi at the location I was at. I happen to think that facts are neither left nor right no matter whom brings them to light, lol.

On 11/6/2017 at 5:52 AM, MassTransitHonchkrow said:

If you're talking about the sound it makes when they accelerate, that's because the R143, R142 and R188 are Kawasaki-built. They seem to share the same components for propulsion.

Something like this. I'm not sure whether it's the propulsion itself or the motors, but thanks.

45 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

8277 is parked out in the open upstairs at ENY yard, its sightly cleaner than the other 143 set its hooked up too, trucks look clean too.

Hopefully all the R143's get that 'Cuomo' refurbishment that the R160's are getting they're definitely showing their age. The interiors are dimmer and more beat up than the slightly older R142/a's.