SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, RR503 said:

Does anyone know if the original documentation for the (N) extension to LGA in the 90s exists anywhere? I'm especially interested in articles/enumerations of area impact/the NIMBY shootdown. Thanks in advance!

I came up with some information.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Kew_Gardens_613/sandbox_5#LaGuardia_Airport_Subway_Extension.2FAstoria-East_Elmhurst_Extension

36 minutes ago, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

I caught an R68A (D) train during the AM rush. I have no idea why it was out but it was nice to ride an R68A on the express tracks for once, and it was a nice little break from the usual R68s (although there was barely a difference since they're basically identical).

Actually nvm, just realized it was the same R68A train that was out yesterday. It must have continued running on the (D) until this morning.

Not sure if it's just me but, the (Q) has strange arrivals ever since it was extended over Second Av. Before, when it was rerouted to Astoria, the trains were 10 minutes spaced apart with 6 minutes during the rush but now, they were back to back. Sometimes, when one leaves the station, the next train doesn't arrive at that station till 15-17 minutes later (that's also when the countdown clocks were installed along the Brighton Line). 

Also, the (R) has a hidden trip from the updated timetable. 

Edited by Calvin

9 hours ago, Daniel The Cool said:

I guess because it's only temporary due to the Culver rehab, they feel like its unnecessary to add it on the timetable. 

Where I work, information cannot be published until fully-vetted by several layers of bureaucracy. But since these runs are internally known, what stops them from publishing these?

When you get off the (E) train and head towards Oculus, there are these closed off (maybe new?) turnstiles that face 90 degrees immediately to the right. I'm assuming they're starting to move around the exits to set up the free transfer for the (R)(W).

All they need now is to put a new HEET on the Church Street side and extend the fencing separating the (E) from that other passageway to lead riders into the transfer corridor (and of course open the corridor itself) and the new transfer will be good to go.

Are these turnstiles new, or have they been there for a while and I just noticed them?

16 hours ago, Calvin said:

Not sure if it's just me but, the (Q) has strange arrivals ever since it was extended over Second Av. Before, when it was rerouted to Astoria, the trains were 10 minutes spaced apart with 6 minutes during the rush but now, they were back to back. Sometimes, when one leaves the station, the next train doesn't arrive at that station till 15-17 minutes later (that's also when the countdown clocks were installed along the Brighton Line). 

Also, the (R) has a hidden trip from the updated timetable. 

They idiotically just took out the trip instead of having dashes past 57th Street and putting a note on the bottom where there is plenty of space. They have done this countless times.

1 hour ago, paulrivera said:

When you get off the (E) train and head towards Oculus, there are these closed off (maybe new?) turnstiles that face 90 degrees immediately to the right. I'm assuming they're starting to move around the exits to set up the free transfer for the (R)(W).

All they need now is to put a new HEET on the Church Street side and extend the fencing separating the (E) from that other passageway to lead riders into the transfer corridor (and of course open the corridor itself) and the new transfer will be good to go.

Are these turnstiles new, or have they been there for a while and I just noticed them?

From this discussion -

it is unclear exactly where these turnstyles came from. However, they have only token slots and not metrocard swipes!

On 12/4/2017 at 10:54 PM, Calvin said:

Living off the (Q), it seems that bunching and gapping has become an increasingly big problem in recent years.  It started when the (Q) was rerouted to Astoria, and has just gotten worse.  I think the culprits are Herald Sq and Dekalb interlockings.  Dekalb interlocking in particular is atrocious, especially going into Brooklyn.

Had a funny one on the downtown (6) (R62A) on my way in to work this morning. The door chimes were broken throughout the whole train for whatever reason, so the C/R stepped in and made the noises himself over the announcement system! I asked him about it when I got off, and he said that he was doing it to avoid having to take the train out of service during rush hour! I’m terrible at remembering car numbers, and have no idea if it did get taken out after the rush, but I thought it was pretty funny. 

3 hours ago, JTrainUK said:

Had a funny one on the downtown (6) (R62A) on my way in to work this morning. The door chimes were broken throughout the whole train for whatever reason, so the C/R stepped in and made the noises himself over the announcement system! I asked him about it when I got off, and he said that he was doing it to avoid having to take the train out of service during rush hour! I’m terrible at remembering car numbers, and have no idea if it did get taken out after the rush, but I thought it was pretty funny. 

Smh... Those stupid chimes are so loud on those trains.  Must've been super annoying.

5 hours ago, JTrainUK said:

I didnt know that broken door chimes were grounds for pulling a train OOS. Ive been on a few R46s with broken chimes and the cr didnt do anything about it  

1 hour ago, VIP said:

Why does the (A) only run 36-38 trains a day? But the (F) can run 45?! 

I think it’s due to the base length of the (A) vs the full length of the (F). The base length of the (A) is the portion from 207 St to Rockaway Blvd and the base length of the (F) is from 179 St to Av X (base length meaning the section of route that all train trips run on). The base length of the (A) i think is shorter than the base length of the (F) and remember that the (F) is predominately local and the (A) runs express from 168 St to Euclid Av. The local vs express service impacts the number of trains required to run the full service. The (A) uses 38 AM rush hour train sets and 40 PM rush hour sets. And remember that 1/2 of the (A) trains end at Lefferts Blvd vs those that end at Far Rockaway. I’d say that the (A) length from 207 St to Lefferts Blvd is about the same as the (F) from 179 St to Church Av

Edited by darkstar8983

3 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

I think it’s due to the base length of the (A) vs the full length of the (F). The base length of the (A) is the portion from 207 St to Rockaway Blvd and the base length of the (F) is from 179 St to Av X (base length meaning the section of route that all train trips run on). The base length of the (A) i think is shorter than the base length of the (F) and remember that the (F) is predominately local and the (A) runs express from 168 St to Euclid Av. The local vs express service impacts the number of trains required to run the full service. The (A) uses 38 AM rush hour train sets and 40 PM rush hour sets. And remember that 1/2 of the (A) trains end at Lefferts Blvd vs those that end at Far Rockaway. I’d say that the (A) length from 207 St to Lefferts Blvd is about the same as the (F) from 179 St to Church Av

I'd say you have the general idea pretty much covered but you left out the most important part. The (C) makes the comparison easier to understand when it's added to the equation.

1 hour ago, VIP said:

Why does the (A) only run 36-38 trains a day? But the (F) can run 45?! 

I remember reading the R179s 10 car sets will be added on to the fleet the (A) already has, so it will operate at least 42 trains a day. The (A) really needs the service increase, those trains get HAMMERED in Manhattan going towards BK, then a whole bunch of extra people get on at Jay Street. I had to pass up several (A) trains at Jay Street during rush hour cause they were so crowded.

25 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

I remember reading the R179s 10 car sets will be added on to the fleet the (A) already has, so it will operate at least 42 trains a day. The (A) really needs the service increase, those trains get HAMMERED in Manhattan going towards BK, then a whole bunch of extra people get on at Jay Street. I had to pass up several (A) trains at Jay Street during rush hour cause they were so crowded.

The R179s thats supposed to run on the (A) is supposed to displace that rush hour R68/R68A set that runs on the (B) 

7 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

The (A) also gets hammered along CPW in either direction, especially with the gaps in service that is has. 

If you can you might as well pack into the (A) at Jay Street because people get off at Hoyt-Schermerhorn for the (G) anyway.