SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Abba said:

I’ve noticed a lot of complaints on Twitter about congestion in queens late evenings.Why don’t they run the (R) to 179to alleviate it ?

I've been saying this forever! But now I just take the LIRR, can't be bothered.

I emailed them one time and they replied saying it's cost prohibitive (meanwhile, all the crews are late and probably get overtime anyway)

16 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Yeah, it took me 30 minutes to get from Roosevelt to Woodhaven Boulevard. I should have opted for taking the Q53 instead.

Right, extremely frustrating. One time I bailed for the Q60, it's absolutely crazy, who's in charge?

There's provisions at Forest Hills to allow for an xover just before the station. Why not install one, and let terminating trains use the track everyone isn't crammed onto? Of course, this wouldn't be helpful if they were doing work in station, but i'd wager that most of the time, that's not the case. 

Edited by RR503

12 minutes ago, RR503 said:

There's provisions at Forest Hills to allow for an xover just before the station. Why not install one, and let terminating trains use the track everyone isn't crammed onto? Of course, this wouldn't be helpful if they were doing work in station, but i'd wager that most of the time, that's not the case. 

A lot of the time, work is being done in the station. It could help in some instances. Do you know whether there ever was a crossover at this location?

2 hours ago, VIP said:

East New York Yard has serious graffiti problems. Why isn’t that yard secured properly? 

The tagged 160 was probably an (M) layup in Manhattan on the abandoned Bowery side, since Fresh Pond yard can't be reached, and ENY doesn't have space, (M) trains stored on the Broadway Junction end of the route must be laid up in Manhattan around the abandoned Bowery Platform, If you ride an Queens Bound (J) train on the weekends between Canal and Bowery, you can see the laid up (M) trains if you look out the right side of the train.

ENY yard is secure, 111th layups and the Bowery layups are vulnerable to graffiti artists tagging the trains, they won't even lay up NTT at 111th cause they don't want graffiti artists tagging them.

1 hour ago, RR503 said:

Huh, noticed it before. I pass by it every morning on my way to school 

19 hours ago, Abba said:

I’ve noticed a lot of complaints on Twitter about congestion in queens late evenings.Why don’t they run the (R) to 179to alleviate it ?

FACTS! (R) to 179 and (M) to Jamaica Center or 179 and you'll have a flexible local service 

3 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

ENY yard is secure, 111th layups and the Bowery layups are vulnerable to graffiti artists tagging the trains, they won't even lay up NTT at 111th cause they don't want graffiti artists tagging them.

So what happens when the (J) is all NTT?! They just not gonna lay up trains at 121&111 sts?? 

On 1/7/2018 at 7:37 PM, s111limited said:

Just curious, what do the star and triangle stickers represent on some of the doors on the NTTs?

The ones next to some doors? If you look on the ground, under the seat beneath the star sticker, there's a locked metal box that has some brake valves in it. The sticker is there to make it easy to find from eye level. 

I forget what the triangle one was, master door controller it might have been. Can't find the answer and the MTA folks aren't allowed to tell you so that's about as specific as it's gonna get.