SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

11 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

MTA website says the Brighton Beach bound (B) is running local between Prospect Park and Kings Highway due to "equipment testing" G.O yet it's running express smh.

Maybe the R179 broke down before it could get to Brighton.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

Permanently shut as of a few weeks ago. I was surprised to see the signs. My guess is it was considered a strain of resources to clean and keep safe, but really just laziness on the TA's part and a foolish waste of space. Thought they knew better than to still shut mezzanines by now--won't be surprised if the community pushes back on that one. 

Like really, how much does shutting a mezzanine down actually save?  Three bottles of cleaner a week?

That's the MTA for you. They decide to shut down a mezzanine to save literally a couple of bucks but won't hesitate to waste money on countdown clocks, Genius Challenges, bloated construction projects, different types of CBTC, station makeovers, Cuomo schemes, etc.

22 minutes ago, 78 via Stew Leonards said:

Which line loses the R62/62As first, (1) or (3) ?

Don't know. We have another decade before these cars are up for retirement. Anything can happen. When the time comes for replacement, it's likely the worst performing cars will go first, but both sub-classes will likely be retired at around the same time.

On a side-note, I just found out that Budd Company was one of the frontrunners for the R62 contract. If they had won the contract, we might've stuck with American car builders up until the millennium fleet. Unfortunately, the MTA wanted nothing to do with whatever new tech Budd was trying to include in their design, nor did they want one builder for a bulk order in case they got burned again following the disaster that was the R44/46 contracts.

Just now, 78 via Stew Leonards said:

Thinking about this for awhile, I don't see any reason why they cant run the (B) on weekends.  It has better frequencies than the (D) whenever it runs.

Ridership demands is the most likely answer. While you can make a case for increased Brighton service on weekends, there may not be enough to warrant full-length (B) train service from Harlem to Brighton Beach.

5 minutes ago, Lance said:

Ridership demands is the most likely answer. While you can make a case for increased Brighton service on weekends, there may not be enough to warrant full-length (B) train service from Harlem to Brighton Beach.

Also, weekend work. There's no way you can reliably push 24+ tph through a slow zone on CPW. Just can't be done. 

The only way I could see a weekend (B) working is if you sent it to 96th via Brighton exp/6th/2nd. Then you keep your trunks below saturation. 

2 minutes ago, RR503 said:

Also, weekend work. There's no way you can reliably push 24+ tph through a slow zone on CPW. Just can't be done. 

The only way I could see a weekend (B) working is if you sent it to 96th via Brighton exp/6th/2nd. Then you keep your trunks below saturation. 

Sounds similar to the old weekend (B) service between 21st St and Coney Island via 63rd St

As the (B) was the primary West End line at the time, it had to run into Manhattan lest riders be forced to transfer at 36 St/4 Av for Manhattan-bound service. Since 21 St-Queensbridge was the closest "Manhattan" terminal, it was used to turn (B) trains during the weekend period. That was part of the reason why the (B) and (D) swapped Brooklyn lines after the Manhattan Bridge work completed back in 2004.

2 hours ago, 78 via Stew Leonards said:

Thinking about this for awhile, I don't see any reason why they cant run the (B) on weekends.  It has better frequencies than the (D) whenever it runs.

I don't know what you're talking about...the (B) and (D) both run the same amount of headways - 10 tph (6 minute headways) during the peak and 6 tph (10 minute headways) during the off-peak...look at the (MTA) 's printed schedules or the Trip Planner.

1 hour ago, Jemorie said:

I don't know what you're talking about...the (B) and (D) both run the same amount of headways - 10 tph (6 minute headways) during the peak and 6 tph (10 minute headways) during the off-peak...look at the (MTA) 's printed schedules or the Trip Planner.

Whenever I've been at any stop for the (B)(D) I've always seen more (B)s than (D)s.   I cant think of the last time I remember a (D) showing up first.

3 hours ago, RR503 said:

Would that be possible with weekend (M) reroutes to 96th Street?

2 hours ago, GreatOne2k said:

The (B) did run on CPW on weekends from November 2000 - July 2001. The (B) even ran on CPW until after midnight, a bit later than the (C) did.

Don't know why they ever stopped the weekend (B) service, or at least revived it in February 2004. At the very least the (B) is the better of the two CPW locals

48 minutes ago, 78 via Stew Leonards said:

Don't know why they ever stopped the weekend (B) service, or at least revived it in February 2004. At the very least the (B) is the better of the two CPW locals

Weekend (B) service was dropped in July 2001 when the north side of the manhattan bridge was closed and service only operated north of 34 St to Bedford Park Blvd/145 St middays and rush hours until 9PM. 

When the bridge reopened in February 2004, the part time (B) was combined with the part-time <Q> and replaced express service to Brighton Beach: two weekday only routes, run the (B) only weekdays.

and yes the (B) runs more frequent than the (C) because the (C) is just a local version of the (A) train while the (B) overlaps the (C)(D) and (Q).

the reason for the elimination in 2001 was because the (B) was running essentially a short shuttle bwteeen 145 St and 34 St and it’s route could’ve been covered by the (C) (rush hours, the (D) )

Edited by darkstar8983

1 minute ago, darkstar8983 said:

Weekend (B) service was dropped in July 2001 when the north side of the manhattan bridge was closed and service only operated north of 34 St to Bedford Park Blvd/145 St middays and rush hours until 9PM. 

When the bridge reopened in February 2004, the part time (B) was combined with the part-time <Q> and replaced express service to Brighton Beach: two weekday only routes, run the (B) only weekdays.

and yes the (B) runs more frequent than the (C) because the (C) is just a local version of the (A) train while the (B) overlaps the (C)(D) and (Q).

Just a slight correction. When the (B) only ran to 34th Street during the Bridge shutdown, it didn't end at 9 PM, it actually ended at the same time it ends today. It was when it became the new Weekday Brighton Express that it ended at 9 until July 2008.

1 minute ago, Daniel The Cool said:

Just a slight correction. When the (B) only ran to 34th Street during the Bridge shutdown, it didn't end at 9 PM, it actually ended at the same time it ends today. It was when it became the new Weekday Brighton Express that it ended at 9 until July 2008.

I stand corrected. Thanks. 

Edited by darkstar8983

the (M) service expansion during the (L) shutdown will probably require ALL (M) trains to operate the full route to 71 Av because of the increased passenger flow to Court Sq-23 St and the full saturation of the 53 St tunnel in terms of capacity (15 (E) and 15 (M) trains), but how could that factor in with the inefficient fumigation at 71 Av and the combined local service with the (R) ? I assume the (M)(R) will not be extended eastward past 71 Av, so would (R) service need to be reduced/rerouted to avoid Queens Blvd and the conga line?

3 hours ago, Coney Island Av said:

As @Lance and @RR503 have stated above, weekend construction. 

It should only be sent to 96 St if there are GOs on CPW which force the (C) to go express, or (A)(D) to go local. 

But this is how weekend (B) service could be run during these GOs:

(A)(D) go local or (C) goes express: (B) to 96 St

(D)(F) 8 Av/Broadway Swap: (B) to 96 St/2 Av

(D) via 8 Av to WTC: (B) to 96 St

But does anyone remember that weekend (B) train thread where one member (not going to name him) was constantly bashing objections to this? Ah, the good days.

59 minutes ago, 78 via Stew Leonards said:

Whenever I've been at any stop for the (B)(D) I've always seen more (B)s than (D)s.   I cant think of the last time I remember a (D) showing up first.

What? That makes no sense. The (D) showing up immediately after the (B) has nothing to do with how frequent they run. We're talking about actual headways here. But whatever you say.