SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Why do the (4) tracks at 161st St separate from each other then rejoin each other again?

3 hours ago, kosciusko said:

Provisions for a station possibly? I would also like to know if.

Start at about 13:00 mins for the Shuttle.. At one point you could to Woodlawn to South Ferry via an elevated route on 9th or 6th. Cool to imagine that ride. I do remember the Remnants of the Third Avenue line close as I got to the old els. :(

Edited by RailRunRob

22 hours ago, RR503 said:

Seen on Monday at Jay st. Train in question was a southbound (A) 

<pic removed>

Edit: fixed it...

There are a bunch of these random codes embedded into the 46s' side signs, including "LONG ISLAND RR", "WALK THRU TRAIN" and "SKIP-STOP". There are also codes for every B-Division station that isn't a part of the Eastern Division.

21 hours ago, Bosco said:

I think there are LIRR codes on these trains too... in case these were to run on a railroad line in an emergency.

More likely, there were included in anticipation of an event where the subway would provide some sort of shuttle service between Metro-North/LIRR stations. The most notable of which was back in the early '90s where Amtrak was threatening a strike, which would've prevented the LIRR from running trains into Penn Station. While these trains would not have been used for this outage (the plan called for special (J) trains running from Sutphin-Jamaica to 34 St-Penn Station, and continuing to points north), it was likely part of the inspiration behind including these two obscure readings.

7 hours ago, Lance said:

There are a bunch of these random codes embedded into the 46s' side signs, including "LONG ISLAND RR", "WALK THRU TRAIN" and "SKIP-STOP". There are also codes for every B-Division station that isn't a part of the Eastern Division.

More likely, there were included in anticipation of an event where the subway would provide some sort of shuttle service between Metro-North/LIRR stations. The most notable of which was back in the early '90s where Amtrak was threatening a strike, which would've prevented the LIRR from running trains into Penn Station. While these trains would not have been used for this outage (the plan called for special (J) trains running from Sutphin-Jamaica to 34 St-Penn Station, and continuing to points north), it was likely part of the inspiration behind including these two obscure readings.

That's what the (P) reading on the R32 rollsigns is for, right? I heard somewhere that it was "P" for "Penn Station", the service you just described above.

20 minutes ago, Daniel The Cool said:

Old news. They've been starting late night G.Os at 9:30 PM and/or 10:00 PM since the Fall.

Damn. I was wondering why Prospect Park-bound (Q) trains were showing up at 9:45 PM.

It becomes a weird paradox where there's five or six (B)'s that haven't even reached Brighton yet, yet the northbound (Q) is ending at Prospect Park.

Edited by P3F

1 minute ago, P3F said:

Damn. I was wondering why Prospect Park-bound (Q) trains were showing up at 9:45 PM.

It becomes a weird paradox where there's five or six (B)'s that haven't even reached Brighton yet, yet the northbound (Q) is ending at Prospect Park.

It honestly sucks they're starting Late Night G.Os/Weekend G.Os earlier now. I heard it screws up alot of the crews as well as causing congestion in general now that they're having Work Trains leaving the yard earlier.

11 hours ago, officiallyliam said:

That's what the (P) reading on the R32 rollsigns is for, right? I heard somewhere that it was "P" for "Penn Station", the service you just described above.

That's correct. I believe it got close enough to happening that they had actually created an employee timetable for the service, then the strike was averted at the last minute

9 hours ago, Daniel The Cool said:

It honestly sucks they're starting Late Night G.Os/Weekend G.Os earlier now. I heard it screws up alot of the crews as well as causing congestion in general now that they're having Work Trains leaving the yard earlier.

It's a tradeoff. By starting about 2 hours earlier, they're getting 2 more hours of productive work in. If it takes them around an hour to set up and an hour to clean up at the end, that means if the GO is scheduled from 12am-5am, they're only getting about 3 hours of productive work in. At least this way, they get around 5 hours of work. (They still have to pay the track workers for a full 8 hour day regardless).

A curiosity about the E line: why are needed 29 minutes from Jamaica Ctr to Queens Plaza, while are needed 38 minutes from Queens Plaza to Jamaica Ctr? And why are needed 30 minutes from Queens Plaza to Chambers Street/WTC, while are needed only 22 minutes from Chambers Street/WTC? The total time is about the same (59/60 minutes) on the whole route, but why there is this great difference in the round trip in the same sections? Does it depends on an uneven of ground?

A curiosity about the E line: why are needed 29 minutes from Jamaica Ctr to Queens Plaza, while are needed 38 minutes from Queens Plaza to Jamaica Ctr? And why are needed 30 minutes from Queens Plaza to Chambers Street/WTC, while are needed only 22 minutes from Chambers Street/WTC? The total time is about the same (59/60 minutes) on the whole route, but why there is this great difference in the round trip in the same sections? Does it depends on an uneven of ground?

On 2/12/2018 at 2:36 AM, I love NY said:

Sounds like they're accounting for congestion at the (E)s two shit terminals, and putting some padding in so they get better OTP numbers. 

On 2/10/2018 at 1:46 AM, Daniel The Cool said:

It can also cause overcrowding especially on Friday nights, where many people are still trying to get home at 10.  Thanks to that, what should've been a one-hour, one-seat commute home from the city a month ago for me was twice as long with transfers I shouldn't have had to make.  What I'm curious about is if starting construction earlier actually makes a difference in the ability to get work done...

25 minutes ago, Bosco said:

It can also cause overcrowding especially on Friday nights, where many people are still trying to get home at 10.  Thanks to that, what should've been a one-hour, one-seat commute home from the city a month ago for me was twice as long with transfers I shouldn't have had to make.  What I'm curious about is if starting construction earlier actually makes a difference in the ability to get work done...

Nope, during the whole fiasco of the split (4) service in Manhattan, construction didn't actually start until between 10 and 11 PM. However, service still continued to end at 9:30 PM.

25 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Nope, during the whole fiasco of the split (4) service in Manhattan, construction didn't actually start until between 10 and 11 PM. However, service still continued to end at 9:30 PM.

The justification for starting earlier is that it takes about an hour just to bring everything in and start construction.  But from the looks of it and some of the photos (including one that was shared recently on here, where a bunch of MTA workers were standing around when that tile board fell at an (R) train station), I wouldn't be surprised if a future audit says there was little or no difference in starting work earlier.  It's not just the amount of time the MTA has to do work (which is limited), but how they use it.