SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Calvin said:

R46 5654-5657 has updated lights with floor mats

What the F.... ?! I thought only NTTs were getting these floor mats and updated lighting. I know most of 207th Street’s R32’s got new lighting and cleaned light caps... but no door floor mats. 

16 minutes ago, VIP said:

What the F.... ?! I thought only NTTs were getting these floor mats and updated lighting. I know most of 207th Street’s R32’s got new lighting and cleaned light caps... but no door floor mats. 

Alot of the SMEEs cars need a brighter interior lighting especially those that are not scheduled to be scrapped soon, why should all that be limited to just the NTTs. Those arrow floor mats in my opinion or inconsequential I don't think people really pay attention to those that much.

Those R62As on the (1) with the brighter lights dont look so depressing now.

On 3/25/2018 at 10:06 PM, jon2305 said:

Alot of the SMEEs cars need a brighter interior lighting especially those that are not scheduled to be scrapped soon, why should all that be limited to just the NTTs. Those arrow floor mats in my opinion or inconsequential I don't think people really pay attention to those that much.

Those R62As on the (1) with the brighter lights dont look so depressing now.

It’s not the ones on the (1) that’s the problem, it’s the ones on the (6)<6> that are maintained like crap. There’s always dents in the wall from disgruntled train operators banging their brake handle.

A few things about the (5) rush hour:

- Some trains scheduled for Nereid Av may be switched to Eastchester-Dyre Av instead. Then, Nereid Av on the next day. 

-A third Bowling Green trip is added 10 minutes before 4PM at Eastchester. During the AM Rush, a 6:50AM from Eastchester goes to Crown Heights-Utica with the second New Lots Av train at 7:17AM. 

-On occasion, a (5) may be sent to New Lots Av. (That's for 7PM trips as well)

Edited by Calvin

Not too long ago, I went and visited my grandparents in Washington Heights, Manhattan, deciding to take the (D) Train to the 155th Street–8th Avenue Station instead of my usual trip to the 155th Street (C) Train Station. Upon exiting the station, I noticed that the Station Agent's booth had tinted windows, which I found unusual. My guess as to why is for security reasons, due to the station's immediate proximity from the NYCHA Polo Grounds Houses development. Are there many other stations in the system that have Station Agent booths with tinted windows? I'd like to know because I find it uncommon practice.

I don't understand why railfans crowd the RFW on the TOMC runs on the (7) ... I mean 62As with RFW dominated that line not that long ago, most fans probably seen that view a whole bunch of times already. I regret spending so much time at the RFW when the R32-42 cars were in the system in the masses, I missed minor details of the cars like the cool brake release sound on the Phase 2 R32s (which are all retired) I just recently noticed it in a YT video. Recently I noticed all the cabs in the 32 and 42 cars make a hissing sound when the train dumps at the Terminals, love that sound :D

The R33WF and 62A likely offer the same experience at the RFW. I can understand wanting to be at the front of Low-V Yankee runs as their hasn't been a RFW on the IRT mainline since 2003.

3 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

I don't understand why railfans crowd the RFW on the TOMC runs on the (7) ... I mean 62As with RFW dominated that line not that long ago, most fans probably seen that view a whole bunch of times already. I regret spending so much time at the RFW when the R32-42 cars were in the system in the masses, I missed minor details of the cars like the cool brake release sound on the Phase 2 R32s (which are all retired) I just recently noticed it in a YT video. Recently I noticed all the cabs in the 32 and 42 cars make a hissing sound when the train dumps at the Terminals, love that sound :D

The R33WF and 62A likely offer the same experience at the RFW. I can understand wanting to be at the front of Low-V Yankee runs as their hasn't been a RFW on the IRT mainline since 2003.

Being in the front of the train at the RFW by the motorman's cab is one of my favorite pastimes. I really do appreciate the remaining R32s, R42s, and R62A's for that reason. Sometime last year I was talking to this T/O who was operating a set of R32s on the (C), which offered me the opportunity to see how SMEE equipment is handled up-close. That T/O must've been in his late twenties at the time and he said, "It's fun operating these trains." As a guy in his mid twenties, I ask myself, "Do people my age appreciate dated creation, or will the current always continue to captivate?"

Edited by AlgorithmOfTruth

On 3/29/2018 at 8:24 PM, trainfan22 said:

With CBTC coming online soon who knows if they'll even keep running the TOMC on the (7) past this year...

6 hours ago, paulrivera said:

With CBTC coming online soon who knows if they'll even keep running the TOMC on the (7) past this year...

They still will... CBTC and new wayside block signaling are both being put in place. If they didn't have a backup in the need of CBTC being shut for a bit or as a failsafe, how would they get work trains, fan trips, and multi-division moves on the line? 

Edited by R68OnBroadway

On 3/27/2018 at 12:49 PM, Porter said:

I just saw a YouTube advert for www.subwayscam.com. What does everyone think of this? They make a pretty damning condemnation of the (MTA) for all YouTubers to see. It must really be getting bad!

No surprise here, we all know that the well connected labor unions are mining gold in the tunnels of our train system, but the is more wrong with the (MTA) than unions alone. I'd take everything on that website with a grain of salt.

I don't really think anything can be done about unions without a serious shakedown up in Albany, but it's nice to see that it's getting some public attention.

Edited by kosciusko

Delays Posted: 04/01/2018 12:03PM 

(7) <7> trains are running with delays in both direction because of an earlier incident involving multiple vandalized trains between 96 St and South Ferry.

Planned WorkTRACK REPLACEMENT (6) No trains running

(orangeS) trains and free shuttle buses provide alternate service

Weekend, 11:30 PM Fri to 5 AM Mon, Mar 30 - Apr 2

(orangeQ)trains make all  stops between 14 St and 96 St.Buses operate between 96 St and 148 St, making all stops.• Transfer between (M) trains and  buses at 96 St.Show Shuttle Bus Stops

2 minutes ago, VIA 7 AV said:

Delays Posted: 04/01/2018 12:03PM 

(7) <7> trains are running with delays in both direction because of an earlier incident involving multiple vandalized trains between 96 St and South Ferry.

Planned WorkTRACK REPLACEMENT (6) No trains running

(orangeS) trains and free shuttle buses provide alternate service

Weekend, 11:30 PM Fri to 5 AM Mon, Mar 30 - Apr 2

(orangeQ)trains make all  stops between 14 St and 96 St.Buses operate between 96 St and 148 St, making all stops.• Transfer between (M) trains and  buses at 96 St.Show Shuttle Bus Stops

WTF did I just read…?