SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, 7-express said:

And a perfect example of this...there's a <7> that's been stuck on the Roosevelt Avenue bridge now for over 20 minutes waiting to enter Main Street.  No service advisories either about problems at Main Street.

This is part of the customer service problem. I'm sure the passengers didn't take a <7> only to be held up for 20+ mins getting to Main Street, especially when there are most likely locals passing by during that time. They could/would have switched at Junction Blvd or Willets Point if they knew the train was going to be held, many of them have to transfer to a bus!

6 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

This is part of the customer service problem. I'm sure the passengers didn't take a <7> only to be held up for 20+ mins getting to Main Street, especially when there are most likely locals passing by during that time. They could/would have switched at Junction Blvd or Willets Point if they knew the train was going to be held, many of them have to transfer to a bus!

Indeed...piss poor management at the Main Street terminal if there were no technical reasons to hold that train like a signal or switch malfunction (there weren't any as per their Twitter).  That stuck <7> from today ended up taking nearly 40 minutes to finally enter Main Street.  Got stuck on the bridge around 7:30PM and didn't enter the terminal until after 8PM.  That's just absurd.

So guys, we can finally stop the bashing the slowness of CPW Express because I was just on the fastest northbound train I’ve been on since the timers were installed. The only time we slowed down was after 96th street, coming up to 110th, probably because of decline.  

Also, I didn’t know they were re-doing the 110st southbound (C)(B) platform. It’s completely closed. 

2 hours ago, Dannny said:

So guys, we can finally stop the bashing the slowness of CPW Express because I was just on the fastest northbound train I’ve been on since the timers were installed. The only time we slowed down was after 96th street, coming up to 110th, probably because of decline.  

Also, I didn’t know they were re-doing the 110st southbound (C)(B) platform. It’s completely closed. 

N/B is fine, it's S/B that is slow, especially during rush hours. A couple days ago I rode an (A) train that left 125th the same time as an local (B) ..... and the (B) got to 59th first.

I wonder what was the whole point of the (4) going local in both directions on Lexington Av if the (5) is express during G/Os

Also, all the R142/As have the exterior sign and routing updated as in spelled out Local and Express

Edited by Calvin

5 minutes ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

There is still an R142 set with the shortened announcements. I got it on the (5) today, i think it was car 6594

I rode on one of the sets with shortened announcements on the (2) recently. I don't remember the car number though.

On 4/12/2018 at 8:50 PM, 7-express said:

Indeed...piss poor management at the Main Street terminal if there were no technical reasons to hold that train like a signal or switch malfunction (there weren't any as per their Twitter).  That stuck <7> from today ended up taking nearly 40 minutes to finally enter Main Street.  Got stuck on the bridge around 7:30PM and didn't enter the terminal until after 8PM.  That's just absurd.

Thats ridicolous (supposedly they read here so i say AY MR BYFORD WHERE YA AT FIX THE 7 TRAIN PROBLEM MAN!) 

3 hours ago, Far rockaway said:

My ride on the F train today was slow as heck. It really was going very slow speed along the local track of the QBL due to construction and I heard the conductor on the train said that they were cutting up rail due to the slow ride.

I got on the (F) this morning at 63 Drive - Rego Park. Now towards Manhattan it wasn't slow but it was gonna get crowded at Roosevelt so I took my chance and dipped. I wait for the (7) train and the ride was A LOT smoother and faster. Same with the (A) from 42 St to Jay St.

On my way home was a different story. I get on the (A) and try to transfer to the (4) and (5) at Fulton. The platform was crowded and I wasn't willing to stay either so the (D) train showed up. The Air Conditioning was HORRIBLE. I transfer to the (L) to 14 Street Union. Square. Tried waiting for the (4)(5)(6) AGAIN. Platform was crowded and no train arrived. But I did get a cool view of the (5) and (6) trains (going southbound) leaving Union Square from a mezzanine view. 3 minutes in a sweaty Broadway Platform where I saw some hot chicks. (F) train arrives and had Great Air conditioning. But I got off at 42 Street. Got on the (S) 42 Street. Walking dead advertisements 👌👌👌👌.  I get off at Grand Central where I saw some more hot chicks and got on the (7) . Stayed till Roosevelt and the ride on the (R) train towards Forest Hills WAS SLOW AS SHIT. I had to let an (E) Train go cause it was overcrowded. Overall I rate my commute today 

5.5/10

14 minutes ago, LGA Link N train said:

I got on the (F) this morning at 63 Drive - Rego Park. Now towards Manhattan it wasn't slow but it was gonna get crowded at Roosevelt so I took my chance and dipped. I wait for the (7) train and the ride was A LOT smoother and faster. Same with the (A) from 42 St to Jay St.

On my way home was a different story. I get on the (A) and try to transfer to the (4) and (5) at Fulton. The platform was crowded and I wasn't willing to stay either so the (D) train showed up. The Air Conditioning was HORRIBLE. I transfer to the (L) to 14 Street Union. Square. Tried waiting for the (4)(5)(6) AGAIN. Platform was crowded and no train arrived. But I did get a cool view of the (5) and (6) trains (going southbound) leaving Union Square from a mezzanine view. 3 minutes in a sweaty Broadway Platform where I saw some hot chicks. (F) train arrives and had Great Air conditioning. But I got off at 42 Street. Got on the (S) 42 Street. Walking dead advertisements 👌👌👌👌.  I get off at Grand Central where I saw some more hot chicks and got on the (7) . Stayed till Roosevelt and the ride on the (R) train towards Forest Hills WAS SLOW AS SHIT. I had to let an (E) Train go cause it was overcrowded. Overall I rate my commute today 

5.5/10

Why did you make so many transfers heading back? You could have stayed on the (A) until 42nd. Knowing how unreliable service is today, its best to just to make as few transfers possible.

11 hours ago, Calvin said:

I wonder what was the whole point of the (4) going local in both directions on Lexington Av if the (5) is express during G/Os

Also, all the R142/As have the exterior sign and routing updated as in spelled out Local and Express

Because the (6) is on modify/extended headways schedule. 

10 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Why did you make so many transfers heading back? You could have stayed on the (A) until 42nd. Knowing how unreliable service is today, its best to just to make as few transfers possible.

I tried to make a certain transfer but failed so I went to a different line. Besides, this isn't my first rodeo. If the (D)(F) swap wasn't happening then I would've stayed on the (F) for my whole trip home

5 minutes ago, kosciusko said:

How do the (M) shuttle trains turn at Myrtle-Wyckoff? Last time I checked there was no switch there. Do they just reverse up the entire line?

They turn back to Metro Av on their single track. It's the same setup as the 42 St Shuttle. 

17 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

That's stupid, have more (6) trains instead of forcing us Jerome riders to go local along with the (6).

(5) has more priority than the (6) since it now runs to Brooklyn on weekends, so instead of the (5) running every 20 minutes, the (6) runs every 12 minutes (instead of 8) whenever the (4)(5) and (6) have to run on the same tracks on weekends. 

The upper White Plains Road line now sees 12 minute headways on weekends instead of 8 minute headways. They also have a (5) train overnight with the choice if transferring to a (2) train at E 180 St which is usually about 1-3 minutes behind it. Much better than the usual (2) overnight trying to rush and connect with a (4) which may be leaving by the time the (2) gets to 149 St GC meaning up to 20+ minute waits discouraging ridership.

Weekend daytime riders suffer, but weekend late night riders benefit.

9 hours ago, GreatOne2k said:

(5) has more priority than the (6) since it now runs to Brooklyn on weekends, so instead of the (5) running every 20 minutes, the (6) runs every 12 minutes (instead of 8) whenever the (4)(5) and (6) have to run on the same tracks on weekends. 

The upper White Plains Road line now sees 12 minute headways on weekends instead of 8 minute headways. They also have a (5) train overnight with the choice if transferring to a (2) train at E 180 St which is usually about 1-3 minutes behind it. Much better than the usual (2) overnight trying to rush and connect with a (4) which may be leaving by the time the (2) gets to 149 St GC meaning up to 20+ minute waits discouraging ridership.

Weekend daytime riders suffer, but weekend late night riders benefit.

We shouldn't HAVE to suffer if there is no construction work on the express tracks in Manhattan. Like it adds +35 minutes to our commute for nothing!

If they want to add more service to the (6) , have some alternate (4) trains terminate at 3rd Av-138th St and run local down Lexington. It's much better then the idea they have now.