SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

4 hours ago, Lance said:

I don't see how it would be impossible to at the very least dig the shaft down to the lower level. That way, at least one direction of service is fully accessible. From what I read, it sounds like the developer is only adding the elevator because the structure requires moving the existing stairway around, thus running into ADA-related alteration requirements.

Haven't a clue as I don't travel through Penn Station. Someone posted a pic with the old (K) a while back and given the MTA's penchant to leave erroneous signs up long past their relevance, I wouldn't be surprised if it's still in that location.

Coney Island still had a yellow (D) sign up (from 1987) until it's rehab started in 2001 so.... 🤷‍♂️

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Just a simple ride from Brighton Beach to Kings Highway and back. Boarding and discharging is allowed at Brighton Beach only.

It also mentions a shorter round trip to Ocean Parkway. I'm talking about will there be special Brighton Express service for people commuting to the Parade Of Trains or is there only the regular weekend (Q) Brighton Local service?

Just now, EphraimB said:

It also mentions a shorter round trip to Ocean Parkway. I'm talking about will there be special Brighton Express service for people commuting to the Parade Of Trains or is there only the regular weekend (Q) Brighton Local service?

Just regular service. The express tracks will be blocked and the (Q) is fine anyways.

Also, assuming what they had last year is the same this year, they run the BRT gate cars from Ocean Pkwy to Brighton Beach and the TOMM/other BMT cars from Kings Highway to Brighton Beach.

1 minute ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Just regular service. The express tracks will be blocked and the (Q) is fine anyways.

Also, assuming what they had last year is the same this year, they run the BRT gate cars from Ocean Pkwy to Brighton Beach and the TOMM/other BMT cars from Kings Highway to Brighton Beach.

Why can't the Parade Of Trains ride the whole Brighton Express?

The following cars will be at the festival:

BRT gate cars (1404, 1273, 1407)

BMT Standards (2390, 2391, 2392)

BMT D-Types (6095 A-B-C, 6112 A-B-C)

Train of Many Metals (R10 3184, R16 6387, R38 4028-4029) 

Unfortunately the R1-9s, the R11, R40, and R42 won't be running at the festival. 

To substitute for the BRT Gate Cars, the Redbirds (9307, 9310, 9206-9207) are in the museum. R42 4572-4573 is also filling in for the D-Types. 

Who else is going to the festival? ;)

2 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

Quick question about Fulton Street on the Nassau Street line:

As everyone knows, the southbound level is above the northbound level, but is the southbound track situated directly above the northbound or are they offset?

I have a feeling that the Broad Street track is above the Brooklyn bound track. When the Broad Street level is above the Brooklyn bound level, the tracks also follow suit.

4 hours ago, Calvin said:

For those who are slant fans, you'll see them running back on the (B) tracks this weekend

What's a shame is that they appear to not be end cars. The R16 RFW is no match for that massive slant window! Why they're not end cars I do not know.

38 minutes ago, BayParkwayW said:

What's a shame is that they appear to not be end cars. The R16 RFW is no match for that massive slant window! Why they're not end cars I do not know.

Probably so photographers can photograph the 16, Slants ran on the Brighton as recently as the late 2000s, getting a photo of one on that line isn't as interesting as the 16. Also the 16 along with the 10 are far more unique cars than post goh 38s & 40 slants IMO. 

It does suck for the kids though, I remember back when the Slants were still in service and I was at the RFW and this kid wanted to look out the window, he was scared to ask me if he could stand there, I overheard him and stepped back to let him look out the window. At this point there was plenty of 160s in service so the Slants days were numbered, so I was glad a younger kid got to enjoy that view before the cars were gone for good.

7 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Quick question about Fulton Street on the Nassau Street line:

As everyone knows, the southbound level is above the northbound level, but is the southbound track situated directly above the northbound or are they offset?

Offset. S/b track is above northbound platform; s/b plat above n/b track. Note doors always open left regardless of direction. 

Edited by RR503

11 hours ago, RR503 said:

Offset. S/b track is above northbound platform; s/b plat above n/b track. Note doors always open left regardless of direction. 

That assumes the two levels have the same footprint.

2 hours ago, RR503 said:

...which they do. Go check your track drawings. 

Neither the NYCsubway.org track map nor Andrew Lynch's diagram show the situation to be as you describe it.

I agree that you describe the most logical setup, based on the surroundings, but I haven't seen a diagram confirming it. If you have one, by all means post it.