SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am currently in the first car of a C train, R160A 8624, as we creep uptown past the work zones on the CPW express track. There is an unbelievably loud hissing sound coming from the right side of the front truck. Could this be a leak in the airbag suspension or something? I have never heard this from a 160 before, it completely drowns out the loud HVAC and everything else. All the other passengers don’t seem to notice or care except for one woman at 59 St who was holding her ears in a kind of standing brace position. We have just opened the doors at 125 St as I post this

Rode the vintage train they had on the Brighton line from brighton beach station to kings hwy. It was amazing because I always wanted to ride them but my god the pre 1960 train cars were very hot. I went through the train cars and the older ones just had fans. I feel so sorry for people back then dealing with the heat during hot days like today. But it was a treat!

18 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

Rode the vintage train they had on the Brighton line from brighton beach station to kings hwy. It was amazing because I always wanted to ride them but my god the pre 1960 train cars were very hot. I went through the train cars and the older ones just had fans. I feel so sorry for people back then dealing with the heat during hot days like today. But it was a treat!

That's funny because one of the cars (I think it was the R38) had Air Conditioning in them

On 6/16/2018 at 6:09 PM, Amtrak706 said:

I am currently in the first car of a C train, R160A 8624, as we creep uptown past the work zones on the CPW express track. There is an unbelievably loud hissing sound coming from the right side of the front truck. Could this be a leak in the airbag suspension or something? I have never heard this from a 160 before, it completely drowns out the loud HVAC and everything else. All the other passengers don’t seem to notice or care except for one woman at 59 St who was holding her ears in a kind of standing brace position. We have just opened the doors at 125 St as I post this

Probably just a family of snakes that live in the trucks.

Jokes aside I know exactly what you're talking about and I've only noticed it during summer. I think it has something to do with HVAC but I'm not certain. IIRC it only comes from a car with an operating cab as well. 

Edited by kosciusko

6 hours ago, LGA Link N train said:

That's funny because one of the cars (I think it was the R38) had Air Conditioning in them

Yeah R38 car 4028 and R40 slant 4281 A/C wasn't working. Also on my way back home from the parade I caught an R142A on the (5) at Franklin Av its funny because as soon we got to 42nd street it turned into an (4) express to 149th Street-Grand Concourse

Edited by Thekilomoney11

Train of Many Metals was the best! I rode that set the most out of all the trains present. The R10/R16 looked very slick and colorful. I was also satisfied that they finally brought the R40 Slant out for a run. It's not really used a lot on fan trips with the aforementioned consist. 

Anyways, I got to chat with @Dj Hammers (again) and even met @j express. We talked about R32s going to the (B)(G) with a small chance of popping up on the (N)(Q), the upcoming nostalgia rides to Coney Island/Rockaways, Yankee Specials to Rockaway Park, etc. 

But unfortunately, the D-Types (Triplex) broke down and the BMT Standards were taken out of service earlier in the parade today because they were only operating at half power. So for the majority of the 17th, the only trains running were the BRT Gate Cars and TOMM. I also noticed most people went on the 16th, especially teenage railfans. 

It was also nice to meet @Dj Hammers. He's probably my most favorite subway youtuber, and he's also the most infamous. 

7 minutes ago, Coney Island Av said:

Train of Many Metals was the best! I rode that set the most out of all the trains present. The R10/R16 looked very slick and colorful. I was also satisfied that they finally brought the R40 Slant out for a run. It's not really used a lot on fan trips with the aforementioned consist. 

Anyways, I got to chat with @Dj Hammers (again) and even met @j express. We talked about R32s going to the (B)(G) with a small chance of popping up on the (N)(Q), the upcoming nostalgia rides to Coney Island/Rockaways, Yankee Specials to Rockaway Park, etc. 

But unfortunately, the D-Types (Triplex) broke down and the BMT Standards were taken out of service earlier in the parade today because they were only operating at half power. So for the majority of the 17th, the only trains running were the BRT Gate Cars and TOMM. I also noticed most people went on the 16th, especially teenage railfans. 

It was also nice to meet @Dj Hammers. He's probably my most favorite subway youtuber, and he's also the most infamous. 

I came to the Parade of Trains today at 11AM. I got to ride on all 3. I was on the last BMT Standard before they took it out of service. Did it ever come back into service today? I also met @Dj Hammerstoday. I thought the D-type triplex were meant to be a stationary train at the Parade of Trains. Did I miss anything from the 16th?

I went to the Parade of Trains on the 16th. I was mostly chatting with my friends from school there and got to meet @Dj Hammers . Him, @MTA Rail Fan and I mostly spoke about the (G) going back to forest hills and I asked him some questions like, Will the R44's ever appear in the parade. He said since there's only one unit, the (MTA) is not allowed to operate it by itself. I think I also met @Fan Railer but we didn't speak to each other. I met some more railfans and met some other group who were talking about how NTT's and the (R) train sucks. My favorite part was most likelikely TOMM but Most people were foaming for the R40. It was something. I was also looking forward to a chance to meet @Coney Island Av in person, but we passed each other without even knowing. That was something. Anyways I had fun at the Parade of Trains and hope to meet some of you in the next event.

4 minutes ago, LGA Link N train said:

I went to the Parade of Trains on the 16th. I was mostly chatting with my friends from school there and got to meet @Dj Hammers . Him, @MTA Rail Fan and I mostly spoke about the (G) going back to forest hills and I asked him some questions like, Will the R44's ever appear in the parade. He said since there's only one unit, the (MTA) is not allowed to operate it by itself. I think I also met @Fan Railer but we didn't speak to each other. I met some more railfans and met some other group who were talking about how NTT's and the (R) train sucks. My favorite part was most likelikely TOMM but Most people were foaming for the R40. It was something. I was also looking forward to a chance to meet @Coney Island Av in person, but we passed each other without even knowing. That was something. Anyways I had fun at the Parade of Trains and hope to meet some of you in the next event.

Was the d-type triplex a stationary on the 16th?

20 hours ago, Coney Island Av said:

R32s will be popping up on the (N)(Q)? Interesting but how?

Edited by KK 6 Ave Local
typo

As I came off the (A) train at Fulton St from Far Rockaway at 10:22AM, I saw a redbird (7) train leaving Fulton St on the downtown (A)(C) platform. It had Main St rollsigns. Unfortunately, I didn't have enough time to take a picture.

Edited by EphraimB
Time I got off the A train

17 hours ago, KK 6 Ave Local said:

That sounds like fake news to me. MTA is dumb, but not dumb enough to put 32s on a line whose main reroute option is a tunnel that can't fit them. I'd expect (B) and (G) as has been discussed ad nauseum at this point. 

18 minutes ago, RR503 said:

That sounds like fake news to me. MTA is dumb, but not dumb enough to put 32s on a line whose main reroute option is a tunnel that can't fit them. I'd expect (B) and (G) as has been discussed ad nauseum at this point. 

17 hours ago, KK 6 Ave Local said:

R32's Won't pop up on the (N) and (Q) though if that were to happen, I'd save it for the (Q) when the R32's make their final run. 

On June 17, 2018 at 10:59 PM, Coney Island Av said:

We talked about R32s going to the (B)(G) with a small chance of popping up on the (N)(Q), the upcoming nostalgia rides to Coney Island/Rockaways, Yankee Specials to Rockaway Park, etc. 

FAKE NEWS!

There's no way they'd ever hit the (N)(Q) because both lines use Montague regularly, like last night when the signals at Canal Street malfunctioned