SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

7 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Can I just say that that new (4) trip from Woodlawn to Bowling Green is genius?

It's scheduled to leave Woodlawn at 7:13 and arrives at Bowling Green at 8:14 and turns as the 8:28 heading back uptown, right as everyone and their mother gets off the ferry and is trying to go uptown... 

Extra capacity, right at the peak of the peak...

Someone pushed me out of a (4) train last week because it was to crowded and I took up a lot of space cause of my size...

I feel like every time I take Lex it feels like I'm in the hunger games trying to survive...

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a random thought question. 

So today I watched the MTAs new YouTube video about redesigning the Staten Island express bus service.

After reading all the comments of people complaining that they want a subway service with connections via 4th Avenue which I think at this point would be too cost worthy.

I thought why doesn't the MTA or PATH think of possibly extending the SIR beyond St. George to the Ball Park station (Not using the rest of the North  Shore corridor) and then crossing into Bayonne NJ using it's existing corridor and getting rid of the light rail. Then have the SIR or PATH turn down Grand St in Jersey City and either end at the river or create a new tunnel into lower Manhattan. This could even be an extension of the SAS instead of SIR or PATH.. What do you guys think?

Edited by ABOGbrooklyn

Yesterday at around 9:49PM, I took the B62 from Williamsburg to Queensboro Plaza to take a train or bus home to Astoria. Didn't feel like detouring through Manhattan. As soon as it got there at 10:19, a Q69 showed up but as it was running late (supposed to leave LIC at 10:15) it left immediately, so I had to wait for a Q101 or take the (N) . I figured the subway comes every 12 minutes or so, and I would have to wait for a Q101 to go to Manhattan and turn back. So I swiped in at QBP to take the train.

Bad idea.

That little turd took 35 minutes to come. The countdown clock read "18 min" and less, for half a hour. I counted seven, SEVEN Flushing-bound (7) trains. The platform got really crowded. Someone in front of me literally said out loud "I CAN'T WITH these (7) trains. I need an (N) train!"

Train comes in around 10:55PM. It's an R68A. And surprise, surprise, there is one car that is locked and completely empty with the exception of a pile of VOMIT. Needless to say, the train was very crowded.

Taking the (N) at that late night shoulder sucks, and has sucked for as long as I remember, but nothing as bad as yesterday. I was just glad my train didn't have to hold up at Astoria Blvd for 10 minutes like it usually does. Like, should it really take them that long to turn the train at that time?

MTA has decided to open the Clark Street Tunnel while the previous pick schedule is still in effect, so now we have these services running S/B for about 1 hour

(2) 241 - Flatbush

(2) Dyre - South Ferry

(5) Dyre - E 180

Going N/B after midnight we will have

(2) Flatbush - 241

(2) South Ferry - Dyre

(5) E 180 - Dyre

The Dyre line has both the (2) and (5) S/B until midnight

7 Av gets extra service at the expense of Lexington

Edited by GreatOne2k

Just now, Calvin said:

Extra Friday trains on the (5) from Eastchester-Dyre Av to Bowling Green from 10:13PM till 11:22PM are discontinued.  

Regular Friday service after 8:30pm from Dyre to Bowling Green won't be running for the next several weeks either due to G.O.s The (5) trains ran until 10:48pm,  anything after that were (2) trains to South Ferry. Looks like the (2) and (4) are going to be even more crowded on Friday evenings.

People who just missed the (F) at Times Square going to Queens will have to wait a whopping 60 or so minutes for the next train (according to Subway Time and some estimation). Spectacular service. Not a single train reading between 42 Street and 9th Avenue (Brooklyn), and the reading for 9th Avenue says 32 minutes.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

Subway time does show an (F) on 6th Ave But nothing on Broadway.Hopfully it’s not true . But I can’t imagine all is dandy with Service change not really being planned out . I wonder what happenend anyway.I see trains we’re not running on 6th ave Saturday morning but what was the issue that required this 

16 hours ago, GojiMet86 said:

Yesterday at around 9:49PM, I took the B62 from Williamsburg to Queensboro Plaza to take a train or bus home to Astoria. Didn't feel like detouring through Manhattan. As soon as it got there at 10:19, a Q69 showed up but as it was running late (supposed to leave LIC at 10:15) it left immediately, so I had to wait for a Q101 or take the (N) . I figured the subway comes every 12 minutes or so, and I would have to wait for a Q101 to go to Manhattan and turn back. So I swiped in at QBP to take the train.

Bad idea.

That little turd took 35 minutes to come. The countdown clock read "18 min" and less, for half a hour. I counted seven, SEVEN Flushing-bound (7) trains. The platform got really crowded. Someone in front of me literally said out loud "I CAN'T WITH these (7) trains. I need an (N) train!"

Train comes in around 10:55PM. It's an R68A. And surprise, surprise, there is one car that is locked and completely empty with the exception of a pile of VOMIT. Needless to say, the train was very crowded.

Taking the (N) at that late night shoulder sucks, and has sucked for as long as I remember, but nothing as bad as yesterday. I was just glad my train didn't have to hold up at Astoria Blvd for 10 minutes like it usually does. Like, should it really take them that long to turn the train at that time?

ugh, damn those R68As. Every time I see those trains on the (N)(W) I have to wait even longer to get to where I'm going. Day before yesterday, there were four R68As in a row, and therefore had to wait almost 50 minutes on the platform at 34 St to get to Astoria.

17 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Someone pushed me out of a (4) train last week because it was to crowded and I took up a lot of space cause of my size...

I feel like every time I take Lex it feels like I'm in the hunger games trying to survive...

People going into Lex line trains be like 

On 6/23/2018 at 5:12 PM, RR503 said:

I would, actually. Not to sound like the press horn for the agency, but I think some of you would be truly astounded to see what is on the table internally these days. Timer removal is absolutely in the cards. 

I also don’t think that they’re looking to further lower the general speed limit. If they were, they wouldn’t ask that CBTC cars be capable of 55 on level track. 

Excellent, Rapid transit is making a comeback!

55MPH on level track, meaning something like the (A) south of Rockaway Blvd? CPW, etc?

6 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

ugh, damn those R68As. Every time I see those trains on the (N)(W) I have to wait even longer to get to where I'm going. Day before yesterday, there were four R68As in a row, and therefore had to wait almost 50 minutes on the platform at 34 St to get to Astoria.

Did I read this right.... you passed up four 68As until an R160 showed up to get to your destination faster... you do realize that you would have gotten to your destination the quickest if you would have gotten on the first R68A that came.

7 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

That is hilarious. I don't like the R68s either, but even I wouldn't wait that long for a train.  I find them dirtier than the newer trains, but I just stand anyway so it doesn't matter.  You should be counting your lucky stars that you weren't met with some homeless person.  They LOVE the newer cars.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

7 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

Excellent, Rapid transit is making a comeback!

55MPH on level track, meaning something like the (A) south of Rockaway Blvd? CPW, etc?

Yes. Actually getting to 55 is dependent on train traffic conditions, but I think we can count on snappy express runs in the longer stretches along Fulton, 6th, 7th, Lex and Queens Boulevard.