SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

10 minutes ago, FlushingExpress said:

Because NTTs are superior to older cars in every single way, faster, less breakdowns, brighter interiors, wider doors, clear automated announcements, more glass and not fat-looking.

I still do my best to avoid the R42s and R44s at all costs due to my extreme hate for them. When the (A) used R32s, R38s, and R44s in 2007-08, I would always wait for an R32 or R38 or just take the (C) instead. When the sleeky and shiny R32s were replaced by the rusted and ugly R42s on the (A), I just avoided riding it until the R32s and R46s returned and the R44s finally retired. thankfully. When the same thing happened to the (E), I would always wait for an R32 until January 2009 when the (E) became mostly R40M/42s, then I just avoided that service until it became all R160s the following summer. I remember riding an R42 (F) in March 2009 for 20 minutes from 18th Avenue to Jay Street and it was so horrible, the only thing that kept me from losing my mind was the miserable look on everyone else's faces. Now when an R42 shows up on the (J),  unless I am in a real hurry or only going a couple of stops, I would wait for the next train, which is likely not an R42. Same with the R46s on the (F). I have also stopped riding the (6) entirely since those crappy R62As replaced the awesome R142As, taking away my two favorite automated announcements. A service that used to be one of my favorites is now one of the worst. I just take the (4)(5) to the nearest express stop and walk and use Lexington Avenue-63rd Street to get to school despite its depth and long escalators as the (F) and (Q) are mostly and all R160s, respectively. 

I hate the older cars too and if I can avoid them I certainly do but I'm not adding a crazy amount of time to my commute to do so. I hate that the (6) has those old dark cars with crappy AC, but for three or four stops I can live with them. Now the cars on the (7) line... I got on one Friday. The AC was PUMPING the way it should be!!

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, FlushingExpress said:

Because NTTs are superior to older cars in every single way, faster, less breakdowns, brighter interiors, wider doors, clear automated announcements, more glass and not fat-looking.

I still do my best to avoid the R42s and R44s at all costs due to my extreme hate for them. When the (A) used R32s, R38s, and R44s in 2007-08, I would always wait for an R32 or R38 or just take the (C) instead. When the sleeky and shiny R32s were replaced by the rusted and ugly R42s on the (A), I just avoided riding it until the R32s and R46s returned and the R44s finally retired. thankfully. When the same thing happened to the (E), I would always wait for an R32 until January 2009 when the (E) became mostly R40M/42s, then I just avoided that service until it became all R160s the following summer. I remember riding an R42 (F) in March 2009 for 20 minutes from 18th Avenue to Jay Street and it was so horrible, the only thing that kept me from losing my mind was the miserable look on everyone else's faces. Now when an R42 shows up on the (J),  unless I am in a real hurry or only going a couple of stops, I would wait for the next train, which is likely not an R42. Same with the R46s on the (F). I have also stopped riding the (6) entirely since those crappy R62As replaced the awesome R142As, taking away my two favorite automated announcements. A service that used to be one of my favorites is now one of the worst. I just take the (4)(5) to the nearest express stop and walk and use Lexington Avenue-63rd Street to get to school despite its depth and long escalators as the (F) and (Q) are mostly and all R160s, respectively. 

Thankfully, we live in a capitalist society. Transit routing like this is punished to the extent of its idiocy -- that's your lost productivity, time and money. I won't waste mine being the umpteenth person to expound as to why. 

8 minutes ago, RR503 said:

Thankfully, we live in a capitalist society. Transit routing like this is punished to the extent of its idiocy -- that's your lost productivity, time and money. I won't waste mine being the umpteenth person to expound as to why. 

It sounds like she just avoids certain lines. I would much rather take the (7) over the (S) . Why? No panhandlers, NEWER cars with much better AC and no obnoxious people panhandling and asking for money. You can't get on a shuttle train now without some wanna be artist with a guitar, yelling with their noise pollution. I pick and choose too, so long as my commute won't be elongated.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

All this bs to avoid a line because of a "certain car". If you weren't in a rush, sure. But purposely avoiding lines and leaving early to get to work? Foh. Such pettiness and definite foam for NTTs. The only thing I can really do is this.........

Triple-facepalm.jpg

Edited by MysteriousBtrain
Bigger image

13 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

All this bs to avoid a line because of a "certain car". If you weren't in a rush, sure. But purposely avoiding lines and leaving early to get to work? Foh. Such pettiness and definite foam for NTTs. The only thing I can really do is this.........

Triple-facepalm.jpg

We live in different times now. New generation that needs more. Good AC and newer cars are becoming a must if we're going to keep people using mass transportation, so the (MTA) has to pay attention. Uber, Lyft and everyone else sure are.

The guy has said before that he has some form of autism or something, so I am not surprised at this, nor am I surprised at all the questions and proposals he has brought up.

Also wouldn't be the first person I know of that avoids certain train models. A couple of them went out of their way to avoid the NTT.

Edited by GojiMet86

12 hours ago, EphraimB said:

A few months ago when the R32s got displaced to the (A) from the (J), I entered the Far Rockaway-Mott Av station platform at 9:17AM to get on my 9:23AM train to my work in Lower Manhattan. There was an R32 sitting in the station scheduled to leave at 9:23AM and there was another R32 pulling into the station scheduled to leave at 9:43AM. I wanted to avoid the R32s at that time so I decided to take the 9:23AM train to Beach 60 St. I then transferred to the Q52 SBS and took it to Queens Blvd/Woodhaven Blvd. I then transferred to the (R) train (R46) at Woodhaven Blvd and took it to Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Av. I then took the (F) train (R160) to Lexington Av-63 St. I then did the walk to Lexington Av/59 St. I then took the (4) train (R142) to Wall St. I got to work about an hour late.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Oh lordie.

Now imagine if all the 222 R32s were solely running on the (A) and the transit agency decided to have them run in and out of the peninsula at all times, you gonna do this everyday? I do appreciate your enthusiasm for the NTTs and all, but you honestly can’t be doing this all the time when your destination is to your job. It’s a lot of time and money wasted and worse of all, you being late for work, which can surely get you fired.

Just something to think about. Now if you were railfanning or were very early, then understandable.

Edited by Jemorie

Let me hear your top five trains when it comes to reliability. I'm talking about those trains that are there when you needed the most. There are 20 something lines in NYC, but which ones are the best of the best? My 5 are the (No Paricular Order) (1) (3) (7) (E) and (B). In my humble opinion, these 5 trains have never done me any wrong and have great service. Interested in what your top 5 are.

27 minutes ago, Q23 via 108 said:

Let me hear your top five trains when it comes to reliability. I'm talking about those trains that are there when you needed the most. There are 20 something lines in NYC, but which ones are the best of the best? My 5 are the (No Paricular Order) (1) (3) (7) (E) and (B). In my humble opinion, these 5 trains have never done me any wrong and have great service. Interested in what your top 5 are.

You’re taking the (B) somewhere else then. The (B) rarely comes on time on the Brighton Line, and usually infrequently enough that anyone transferring to/from the (Q) will find it a frustrating exercise. Really, the one measure of reliability that seems to stand out is frequency. The (1), (6), (7), (E), (L), and (Q) are all fairly reliable in my opinion. If I miss an (N) train, I’m not going to wait for another one since sometimes 2 (Q) trains leave in the interval between the last and the next (N) train.

1 hour ago, Q23 via 108 said:

I will just give my best to worst list and my reasons for them:

(7) has always been my favorite with its very frequent service, fast express runs, many unique stations, and great views of Queens. I miss the R62As and the railfan windows they had, though.
(Q) frequent service, runs fast in Brooklyn (even faster than the express) and Manhattan, the Manhattan Bridge offers a great view of Lower Manhattan, love the new stations along 2nd Avenue, and is all R160s, but trains can sometimes run irregularly since they conflict with other routes.
(E) frequent service, fast express run in Queens, and is all R160s, but it gets extremely crowded along 53rd Street.
(4) frequent service, all R142/142As, runs fast in Manhattan and Brooklyn, and offers nice views of the Bronx, including Yankee Stadium, but it runs slow in that borough, is always crowded, and weekend service is low.
(F) frequent weekday service, fast express runs in Queens, awesome views of Brooklyn (even though it runs slow there), and is mostly R160s, but weekend service is low, trains run irregularly due to its long route and sharing of tracks with other services, and still uses some slow R46s.
(1) frequent weekday service, runs fast for a local, and the route has many unique points, including the World Trade Center site box, Broadway Bridge crossing, 91st Street, Dyckman Street Tunnel, and Manhattan Valley Viaduct, but its R62As are crapping out and getting around some of the Upper Manhattan stations is annoying since they either have no crossovers/crossunders or are very deep.
(N) the Sea Beach Line looks beautiful in the winter, the Astoria Line has a fascinating view of the surrounding area and the service is mostly R160s, but trains run irregularly since they conflict with other routes and the 4th Avenue Express run is plagued with timers.
(L) frequent service, is all NTTs, and the route has many unique points, especially at Wilson Avenue and south of Broadway Junction, but it is crowded all the time and goes through some scary neighborhoods.
(5) is all R142s, the express runs in the Bronx and Manhattan are great and the line north of East 180th Street is a throwback to the old NYC railroad services, but off-peak service is low and trains are often irregular and crowded.
(2) is all R142s, fast express runs in Manhattan and has nice views of the Bronx, but trains are extremely irregular and crowded, run slow in the Bronx and Brooklyn, and weekend service is low.
(6) short waiting time, runs fast for a local in Manhattan, not very crowded, the route passes through three closed stations, and has good views of south Bronx, but weekend service is low and I really miss the R142As as the R62As have resulted in more delays due to longer dwelling time and garbled announcements and loss of my two favorite automated announcements.
(3) fast express runs in Manhattan and the IRT New Lots Line has nice views of Brooklyn, but it  does not run frequently and the neighborhoods in Brooklyn it goes to are not safe.
(J)(Z) uses R160s, R179s and R32s, the route has many unique portions and the elevated sections allow amazing views of northern Brooklyn and Queens, but trains run infrequently, are slow during off-peak hours, still has 50 rusted tin can R42s, the short express section between Myrtle and Marcy Avenues is near pointless, and skip-stop service needs to run for the entire rush hour frame and in both directions.
(C) really low scheduled service, has an all underground route, and goes through some dangerous neighborhoods in Brooklyn, but the R32s and R160As can run very fast, even faster than the express.
Franklin Avenue (S) waiting time is long, people tend to hold the car doors at the terminals, and transferring to/from other trains is a hassle, but the route has many historical features.
(M) very low scheduled service, but it is all R160s and the Myrtle Avenue Line has a lot of historical features.
42nd Street (S) pretty boring since it only travels between two stops in an entirely underground route, is often crowded, and prone to people holding the doors, but it is a vital part of the subway's history and I love the promotional decorations it always gets.
(D) infrequent, irregular service, the chubby R68s ruin the express sections, and runs slow on West End, but that section offers great views of the surrounding area even though it needs express service and the Concourse Line has some interestingly-built stations.
(W) low scheduled service and there is nothing special about this train as it just a weekday supplement to others, but at least it is mostly R160s.
(B) long scheduled waits, trains do not arrive on time, and its overweight R68/68As ruin the express run on Brighton, though it can be fast if you catch it on time.
(A) very prone to delays, gaps, and bunching due to its long route, waiting time for each branch in Queens is horrendous, weekend service sucks, and the fat R46s spoil the express runs in Manhattan and Brooklyn, but it runs a few sets of R32s and the Rockaway section has spectacular views of Jamaica Bay and the peninsula.
Rockaway Park (S) : very low scheduled frequency and overcrowded in the summer, but the route offers great views of the Atlantic Ocean and Rockaways.
(G) has short-length trains and infrequent service. The lone good thing about it is the Gowanus El crossing.
(R) has always been my least favorite train with its slow and boring route as it is the system's longest local with no outdoor portions except for a small section in Bay Ridge, trains do not run often, are prone to irregularity, and the obese R46s do not help much, but at least a couple of R160s run on it periodically.

Edited by FlushingExpress

2 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Triple-facepalm.jpg

Basically this. I take any train that comes first! Don't matter which model. Though, I'm still kicking myself for not seeking out a R179 train :D

2 hours ago, CenSin said:

You’re taking the (B) somewhere else then. The (B) rarely comes on time on the Brighton Line, and usually infrequently enough that anyone transferring to/from the (Q) will find it a frustrating exercise. Really, the one measure of reliability that seems to stand out is frequency. The (1), (6), (7), (E), (L), and (Q) are all fairly reliable in my opinion. If I miss an (N) train, I’m not going to wait for another one since sometimes 2 (Q) trains leave in the interval between the last and the next (N) train.

When I take the (B), its in Manhattan or The Bronx. When I think about the (Q) Its that subway thats just there. I dont care about it, even with 2nd Av. I rather take the (N). But I'm a Queens dude, so I wouldn't know much about Brighton or much of Brooklyn for that matter. But I got Queens, The Bronx, and Manhattan pretty good. When I go to Brooklyn I take the (A)(C) or (4). But I'm sure the Q provides good service.

3 hours ago, Q23 via 108 said:

(N)(Q)(6)(1) 

1 hour ago, FlushingExpress said:

I will just give my best to worst list and my reasons for them:

(7) has always been my favorite with its very frequent service, fast express runs, many unique stations, and great views of Queens. I miss the R62As and the railfan windows they had, though.
(Q) frequent service, runs fast in Brooklyn (even faster than the express) and Manhattan, the Manhattan Bridge offers a great view of Lower Manhattan, love the new stations along 2nd Avenue, and is all R160s, but trains can sometimes run irregularly since they conflict with other routes.
(E) frequent service, fast express run in Queens, and is all R160s, but it gets extremely crowded along 53rd Street.
(4) frequent service, all R142/142As, runs fast in Manhattan and Brooklyn, and offers nice views of the Bronx, including Yankee Stadium, but it runs slow in that borough, is always crowded, and weekend service is low.
(F) frequent weekday service, fast express runs in Queens, awesome views of Brooklyn (even though it runs slow there), and is mostly R160s, but weekend service is low, trains run irregularly due to its long route and sharing of tracks with other services, and still uses some slow R46s.
(1) frequent weekday service, runs fast for a local, and the route has many unique points, including the World Trade Center site box, Broadway Bridge crossing, 91st Street, Dyckman Street Tunnel, and Manhattan Valley Viaduct, but its R62As are crapping out and getting around some of the Upper Manhattan stations is annoying since they either have no crossovers/crossunders or are very deep.
(N) the Sea Beach Line looks beautiful in the winter, the Astoria Line has a fascinating view of the surrounding area and the service is mostly R160s, but trains run irregularly since they conflict with other routes and the 4th Avenue Express run is plagued with timers.
(L) frequent service, is all NTTs, and the route has many unique points, especially at Wilson Avenue and south of Broadway Junction, but it is crowded all the time and goes through some scary neighborhoods.
(5) is all R142s, the express runs in the Bronx and Manhattan are great and the line north of East 180th Street is a throwback to the old NYC railroad services, but off-peak service is low and trains are often irregular and crowded.
(2) is all R142s, fast express runs in Manhattan and has nice views of the Bronx, but trains are extremely irregular and crowded, run slow in the Bronx and Brooklyn, and weekend service is low.
(6) short waiting time, runs fast for a local in Manhattan, not very crowded, the route passes through three closed stations, and has good views of south Bronx, but weekend service is low and I really miss the R142As as the R62As have resulted in more delays due to longer dwelling time and garbled announcements and loss of my two favorite automated announcements.
(3) fast express runs in Manhattan and the IRT New Lots Line has nice views of Brooklyn, but it  does not run frequently and the neighborhoods in Brooklyn it goes to are not safe.
(J)(Z) uses R160s, R179s and R32s, the route has many unique portions and the elevated sections allow amazing views of northern Brooklyn and Queens, but trains run infrequently, are slow during off-peak hours, still has 50 rusted tin can R42s, the short express section between Myrtle and Marcy Avenues is near pointless, and skip-stop service needs to run for the entire rush hour frame and in both directions.
(C) really low scheduled service, has an all underground route, and goes through some dangerous neighborhoods in Brooklyn, but the R32s and R160As can run very fast, even faster than the express.
Franklin Avenue (S) waiting time is long, people tend to hold the car doors at the terminals, and transferring to/from other trains is a hassle, but the route has many historical features.
(M) very low scheduled service, but it is all R160s and the Myrtle Avenue Line has a lot of historical features.
42nd Street (S) pretty boring since it only travels between two stops in an entirely underground route, is often crowded, and prone to people holding the doors, but it is a vital part of the subway's history and I love the promotional decorations it always gets.
(D) infrequent, irregular service, the chubby R68s ruin the express sections, and runs slow on West End, but that section offers great views of the surrounding area even though it needs express service and the Concourse Line has some interestingly-built stations.
(W) low scheduled service and there is nothing special about this train as it just a weekday supplement to others, but at least it is mostly R160s.
(B) long scheduled waits, trains do not arrive on time, and its overweight R68/68As ruin the express run on Brighton, though it can be fast if you catch it on time.
(A) very prone to delays, gaps, and bunching due to its long route, waiting time for each branch in Queens is horrendous, weekend service sucks, and the fat R46s spoil the express runs in Manhattan and Brooklyn, but it runs a few sets of R32s and the Rockaway section has spectacular views of Jamaica Bay and the peninsula.
Rockaway Park (S) : very low scheduled frequency and overcrowded in the summer, but the route offers great views of the Atlantic Ocean and Rockaways.
(G) has short-length trains and infrequent service. The lone good thing about it is the Gowanus El crossing.
(R) has always been my least favorite train with its slow and boring route as it is the system's longest local with no outdoor portions except for a small section in Bay Ridge, trains do not run often, are prone to irregularity, and the obese R46s do not help much, but at least a couple of R160s run on it periodically.

I love this post so much. I agree with almost everything on here. Except the (R), which is a line I like riding.

I'll put my two cents in on this, first and foremost I will NOT get my pants wet over the NTTs but riding the R142 on the (1) this weekend was sort of a relief for a change. IMO the maintenance at 240th St yard have been depleting on those R62As, the interiors look real depressing and dreadful, that's just on the sets that don't have the LED lights in them yet. Not to mention alot all the R62As that have been SMS's already look and operate like garbage.

Now as a railfan or civilian I don't care what train I ride to get to work whether the train it's new or old. I understand New Generation but even that term can be really cringe worthy for me considering what I've seen first hand on this generation. People want more, more, more to fast and I think this so-called new generation tends to forget how bad New Yorkers had it back in the 70s & 80s with the subway system being how it was all around. Again, I know times have change, but there's absolutely no reason to stress over subway train models just because of perks that your only going to endure for several minutes depending on your commute.

Edited by jon2305

Y’all buggin out talkin about avoiding car classes... every day riders don’t car what the model is. They’re grateful for a train to arrive and not to be delayed. As far as mere preference (on the eyes) it’s feasible that anyone would like a newer model. (NTT) 

Just now, VIP said:

Y’all buggin out talkin about avoiding car classes... every day riders don’t care what the model is. They’re grateful for a train to arrive and not to be delayed. As far as mere preference (on the eyes) it’s feasible that anyone would like a newer model. (NTT) 

I have a friend in school who HATE's the R211's. I tell him, "You're Judging them BEFORE they even come out", but then one day, he goes and tell's me "When the R211's start coming out into regular service, I'm skipping them and waiting for an R46 or R68". Then I'm just there going in my head and telling him, "WTF, at the end of the day, THEY'RE JUST TRAINS!!!"

Though TBH, I'd rather just arrive to where I need to go on time, I don't have the time to bitch about a car class. It's just silly

1 minute ago, LGA Link N train said:

I have a friend in school who HATE's the R211's. I tell him, "You're Judging them BEFORE they even come out", but then one day, he goes and tell's me "When the R211's start coming out into regular service, I'm skipping them and waiting for an R46 or R68". Then I'm just there going in my head and telling him, "WTF, at the end of the day, THEY'RE JUST TRAINS!!!"

Though TBH, I'd rather just arrive to where I need to go on time, I don't have the time to bitch about a car class. It's just silly

Lol. As per rail fan I can totally understand PREFERENCE. But to commute, why does it affect someone’s mood or time is BEYOND me. It’s like odering an Uber and a Honda pulls up as opposed to a Toyota Camery... seriously either car still runs and you’re still getting to your destination!!