SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

2 hours ago, FlushingExpress said:

I will just give my best to worst list and my reasons for them:

(7) has always been my favorite with its very frequent service, fast express runs, many unique stations, and great views of Queens. I miss the R62As and the railfan windows they had, though.
(Q) frequent service, runs fast in Brooklyn (even faster than the express) and Manhattan, the Manhattan Bridge offers a great view of Lower Manhattan, love the new stations along 2nd Avenue, and is all R160s, but trains can sometimes run irregularly since they conflict with other routes.
(E) frequent service, fast express run in Queens, and is all R160s, but it gets extremely crowded along 53rd Street.
(4) frequent service, all R142/142As, runs fast in Manhattan and Brooklyn, and offers nice views of the Bronx, including Yankee Stadium, but it runs slow in that borough, is always crowded, and weekend service is low.
(F) frequent weekday service, fast express runs in Queens, awesome views of Brooklyn (even though it runs slow there), and is mostly R160s, but weekend service is low, trains run irregularly due to its long route and sharing of tracks with other services, and still uses some slow R46s.
(1) frequent weekday service, runs fast for a local, and the route has many unique points, including the World Trade Center site box, Broadway Bridge crossing, 91st Street, Dyckman Street Tunnel, and Manhattan Valley Viaduct, but its R62As are crapping out and getting around some of the Upper Manhattan stations is annoying since they either have no crossovers/crossunders or are very deep.
(N) the Sea Beach Line looks beautiful in the winter, the Astoria Line has a fascinating view of the surrounding area and the service is mostly R160s, but trains run irregularly since they conflict with other routes and the 4th Avenue Express run is plagued with timers.
(L) frequent service, is all NTTs, and the route has many unique points, especially at Wilson Avenue and south of Broadway Junction, but it is crowded all the time and goes through some scary neighborhoods.
(5) is all R142s, the express runs in the Bronx and Manhattan are great and the line north of East 180th Street is a throwback to the old NYC railroad services, but off-peak service is low and trains are often irregular and crowded.
(2) is all R142s, fast express runs in Manhattan and has nice views of the Bronx, but trains are extremely irregular and crowded, run slow in the Bronx and Brooklyn, and weekend service is low.
(6) short waiting time, runs fast for a local in Manhattan, not very crowded, the route passes through three closed stations, and has good views of south Bronx, but weekend service is low and I really miss the R142As as the R62As have resulted in more delays due to longer dwelling time and garbled announcements and loss of my two favorite automated announcements.
(3) fast express runs in Manhattan and the IRT New Lots Line has nice views of Brooklyn, but it  does not run frequently and the neighborhoods in Brooklyn it goes to are not safe.
(J)(Z) uses R160s, R179s and R32s, the route has many unique portions and the elevated sections allow amazing views of northern Brooklyn and Queens, but trains run infrequently, are slow during off-peak hours, still has 50 rusted tin can R42s, the short express section between Myrtle and Marcy Avenues is near pointless, and skip-stop service needs to run for the entire rush hour frame and in both directions.
(C) really low scheduled service, has an all underground route, and goes through some dangerous neighborhoods in Brooklyn, but the R32s and R160As can run very fast, even faster than the express.
Franklin Avenue (S) waiting time is long, people tend to hold the car doors at the terminals, and transferring to/from other trains is a hassle, but the route has many historical features.
(M) very low scheduled service, but it is all R160s and the Myrtle Avenue Line has a lot of historical features.
42nd Street (S) pretty boring since it only travels between two stops in an entirely underground route, is often crowded, and prone to people holding the doors, but it is a vital part of the subway's history and I love the promotional decorations it always gets.
(D) infrequent, irregular service, the chubby R68s ruin the express sections, and runs slow on West End, but that section offers great views of the surrounding area even though it needs express service and the Concourse Line has some interestingly-built stations.
(W) low scheduled service and there is nothing special about this train as it just a weekday supplement to others, but at least it is mostly R160s.
(B) long scheduled waits, trains do not arrive on time, and its overweight R68/68As ruin the express run on Brighton, though it can be fast if you catch it on time.
(A) very prone to delays, gaps, and bunching due to its long route, waiting time for each branch in Queens is horrendous, weekend service sucks, and the fat R46s spoil the express runs in Manhattan and Brooklyn, but it runs a few sets of R32s and the Rockaway section has spectacular views of Jamaica Bay and the peninsula.
Rockaway Park (S) : very low scheduled frequency and overcrowded in the summer, but the route offers great views of the Atlantic Ocean and Rockaways.
(G) has short-length trains and infrequent service. The lone good thing about it is the Gowanus El crossing.
(R) has always been my least favorite train with its slow and boring route as it is the system's longest local with no outdoor portions except for a small section in Bay Ridge, trains do not run often, are prone to irregularity, and the obese R46s do not help much, but at least a couple of R160s run on it periodically.

Oh, I can definitely agree with you on the (R), also while I do like the (W) as well, I don't see what the hype was over it, also for (A) service. It's alright, but Cranberry limits the maximum capacity it can run. The R68's I don't mind at all though they are no where NEAR the best car class. Oh, and I can partly agree with you on Skip Stop being extended to rush hour, but you must consider that the (J) is a low ridership line. Also, in order for that express portion to be more useful than it is now, then you'll need to rebuild the Myrtle Junction completely. For the (E) the homeless killed it for me, so I always pray for there to be no homeless in my car. The (G) is fairly decent, it just need to extend in length and have more trains running and its good to go. The (6) needs an entirely new class of NTT's. The (7) is crowded 24/7. and that's all I can think of right now

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, VIP said:

Lol. As per rail fan I can totally understand PREFERENCE. But to commute, why does it affect someone’s mood or time is BEYOND me. It’s like odering an Uber and a Honda pulls up as opposed to a Toyota Camery... seriously either car still runs and you’re still getting to your destination!! 

This actually happens with regular customers on the J....especially when the old trains come through(including the ones with busted heat or AC). A part of it is justifiable considering that they lost their new-ish cars because hipsters on the C line kept complaining about the R32s.....so in some case, it is a legitimate gripe. 

One can make the argument that the J is getting new cars now, but that's far from the point.

Edited by Cait Sith

Being honest, even as a "routefanner" (although much more on the bus side), while I do have my preferences, I can't fathom letting a mode of transit (that I can get on/that isn't overcrowded) go, because I have a certain despisal for that particular make/model.... For instance, it's no secret that I don't care for the SBS brand & how/why it came to pass, but at the end of the day, it's still a physical bus running along those route{s}.....

It's bizarre to me that you have someone professing that they were an hour late (and on top of it, exuding a certain level of befuddlement as to why) because they didn't want to endure too long of a ride on a particular subway car type.....

I don't see sacrificing commute times over hate for certain train models worth it, at least today. There are valid reasons why certain fleets need to be improved, but you cant simply let your preferences determine what trains go on what line, or your now unnecessarily long commute. If you really want to have a more selective commute choice about what train comes to your platform, move to another subway neighborhood or preferably get over it cause' the MTA and everybody else can care less (especially if the last two pages of repetitive opposition on this thread are any sign).

1 minute ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

I don't see sacrificing commute times over hate for certain train models worth it, at least today. There are valid reasons why certain fleets need to be improved, but you cant simply let your preferences determine what trains go on what line, or your now unnecessarily long commute. If you really want to have a more selective commute choice about what train comes to your platform, move to another subway neighborhood or preferably get over it cause' the MTA and everybody else can care less (especially if the last two pages of repetitive opposition on this thread are any sign).

I wouldn't even classify it all as being petty, it's simply silly - That includes deciding to reside in some other area because you want to embark on a particular car type as part of your regular commute....

I don't feel one way over the other about the R32's specifically, but to add to your point at the end there - One man's trash is another man's treasure...

2 hours ago, LGA Link N train said:

Canarsie.

I’ve been told by a Canarsie resident that there were sometimes gunshots at night a decade ago. A decade is a lot of time, but I’m not sure if it’s enough time to change the character of a neighborhood like that. I would not be an early adopter of housing there. You know the saying: “the early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.”

Whenever I need to go to my bank, I don't want to take a 47 minute walk to Cedarhurst so I take the train to my bank in Williamsburg.

Same thing when I drop off a package to UPS. I don't want to take a 47 minute walk to the ship & go place in Cedarhurst so I take the train to the UPS Store in Manhattan and turn right back around to Far Rockaway.

I don't work Fridays-Sundays so I go to my bank or the UPS Store during those times. My father thinks it's a waste of my time.

14 minutes ago, EphraimB said:

My father thinks it's a waste of my time.

1. Its definitely slower to take the train all the way to Williamsburg and Manhattan, instead of walking to Cedarhurst, and back for both, by at least around a dozen or more minutes.

2. Aren't there UPS Stores closer to Far Rockaway and within the trains reach?

Unless I made a misconception on my part, your father may have a point. 

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks

1 hour ago, EphraimB said:

Whenever I need to go to my bank, I don't want to take a 47 minute walk to Cedarhurst so I take the train to my bank in Williamsburg.

Same thing when I drop off a package to UPS. I don't want to take a 47 minute walk to the ship & go place in Cedarhurst so I take the train to the UPS Store in Manhattan and turn right back around to Far Rockaway.

I don't work Fridays-Sundays so I go to my bank or the UPS Store during those times. My father thinks it's a waste of my time.

Your father's a wise man.

5 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Being honest, even as a "routefanner" (although much more on the bus side), while I do have my preferences, I can't fathom letting a mode of transit (that I can get on/that isn't overcrowded) go, because I have a certain despisal for that particular make/model.... For instance, it's no secret that I don't care for the SBS brand & how/why it came to pass, but at the end of the day, it's still a physical bus running along those route{s}.....

It's bizarre to me that you have someone professing that they were an hour late (and on top of it, exuding a certain level of befuddlement as to why) because they didn't want to endure too long of a ride on a particular subway car type.....

In a somewhat related story. I was on my way to Atlantic Terminal from Herald Square. A (N) was scheduled to arrive first, when it did, a R68 crawled into the station and I decided to make haste to the 6th Ave Platform where a (D) arrived and got to Atlantic Terminal 5+ mins faster.

They were both R68s, but for some reason non R-160s crawl on Broadway.  

6 hours ago, LGA Link N train said:

I have a friend in school who HATE's the R211's. I tell him, "You're Judging them BEFORE they even come out", but then one day, he goes and tell's me "When the R211's start coming out into regular service, I'm skipping them and waiting for an R46 or R68". Then I'm just there going in my head and telling him, "WTF, at the end of the day, THEY'RE JUST TRAINS!!!"

Though TBH, I'd rather just arrive to where I need to go on time, I don't have the time to bitch about a car class. It's just silly

If he wants to broadcast to the world that he's a moron, let him.

On 6/30/2018 at 11:39 PM, EphraimB said:

A few months ago when the R32s got displaced to the (A) from the (J), I entered the Far Rockaway-Mott Av station platform at 9:17AM to get on my 9:23AM train to my work in Lower Manhattan. There was an R32 sitting in the station scheduled to leave at 9:23AM and there was another R32 pulling into the station scheduled to leave at 9:43AM. I wanted to avoid the R32s at that time so I decided to take the 9:23AM train to Beach 60 St. I then transferred to the Q52 SBS and took it to Queens Blvd/Woodhaven Blvd. I then transferred to the (R) train (R46) at Woodhaven Blvd and took it to Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Av. I then took the (F) train (R160) to Lexington Av-63 St. I then did the walk to Lexington Av/59 St. I then took the (4) train (R142) to Wall St. I got to work about an hour late.

Its perhaps one thing to have a fleet preference, as I like to be around the older fleet of the system due to their human nature. As @Daniel The Cool said, its also one thing if this was meant for railfanning purposes.

Purposely avoiding old tech is borderline insane; if you got on the 32 on the (A) train, it would have taken you to Fulton Center and you would have just needed to take either the (4) or the (5) trains to Wall Street. 

I still need to explore Woodhaven/Cross Bay Boulevards at some point on the Q52/53. But I am just rolling on the floor, laughing at what you did. 

14 hours ago, FlushingExpress said:

I will just give my best to worst list and my reasons for them:

(7) has always been my favorite with its very frequent service, fast express runs, many unique stations, and great views of Queens. I miss the R62As and the railfan windows they had, though.
(Q) frequent service, runs fast in Brooklyn (even faster than the express) and Manhattan, the Manhattan Bridge offers a great view of Lower Manhattan, love the new stations along 2nd Avenue, and is all R160s, but trains can sometimes run irregularly since they conflict with other routes.
(E) frequent service, fast express run in Queens, and is all R160s, but it gets extremely crowded along 53rd Street.
(4) frequent service, all R142/142As, runs fast in Manhattan and Brooklyn, and offers nice views of the Bronx, including Yankee Stadium, but it runs slow in that borough, is always crowded, and weekend service is low.
(F) frequent weekday service, fast express runs in Queens, awesome views of Brooklyn (even though it runs slow there), and is mostly R160s, but weekend service is low, trains run irregularly due to its long route and sharing of tracks with other services, and still uses some slow R46s.
(1) frequent weekday service, runs fast for a local, and the route has many unique points, including the World Trade Center site box, Broadway Bridge crossing, 91st Street, Dyckman Street Tunnel, and Manhattan Valley Viaduct, but its R62As are crapping out and getting around some of the Upper Manhattan stations is annoying since they either have no crossovers/crossunders or are very deep.
(N) the Sea Beach Line looks beautiful in the winter, the Astoria Line has a fascinating view of the surrounding area and the service is mostly R160s, but trains run irregularly since they conflict with other routes and the 4th Avenue Express run is plagued with timers.
(L) frequent service, is all NTTs, and the route has many unique points, especially at Wilson Avenue and south of Broadway Junction, but it is crowded all the time and goes through some scary neighborhoods.
(5) is all R142s, the express runs in the Bronx and Manhattan are great and the line north of East 180th Street is a throwback to the old NYC railroad services, but off-peak service is low and trains are often irregular and crowded.
(2) is all R142s, fast express runs in Manhattan and has nice views of the Bronx, but trains are extremely irregular and crowded, run slow in the Bronx and Brooklyn, and weekend service is low.
(6) short waiting time, runs fast for a local in Manhattan, not very crowded, the route passes through three closed stations, and has good views of south Bronx, but weekend service is low and I really miss the R142As as the R62As have resulted in more delays due to longer dwelling time and garbled announcements and loss of my two favorite automated announcements.
(3) fast express runs in Manhattan and the IRT New Lots Line has nice views of Brooklyn, but it  does not run frequently and the neighborhoods in Brooklyn it goes to are not safe.
(J)(Z) uses R160s, R179s and R32s, the route has many unique portions and the elevated sections allow amazing views of northern Brooklyn and Queens, but trains run infrequently, are slow during off-peak hours, still has 50 rusted tin can R42s, the short express section between Myrtle and Marcy Avenues is near pointless, and skip-stop service needs to run for the entire rush hour frame and in both directions.
(C) really low scheduled service, has an all underground route, and goes through some dangerous neighborhoods in Brooklyn, but the R32s and R160As can run very fast, even faster than the express.
Franklin Avenue (S) waiting time is long, people tend to hold the car doors at the terminals, and transferring to/from other trains is a hassle, but the route has many historical features.
(M) very low scheduled service, but it is all R160s and the Myrtle Avenue Line has a lot of historical features.
42nd Street (S) pretty boring since it only travels between two stops in an entirely underground route, is often crowded, and prone to people holding the doors, but it is a vital part of the subway's history and I love the promotional decorations it always gets.
(D) infrequent, irregular service, the chubby R68s ruin the express sections, and runs slow on West End, but that section offers great views of the surrounding area even though it needs express service and the Concourse Line has some interestingly-built stations.
(W) low scheduled service and there is nothing special about this train as it just a weekday supplement to others, but at least it is mostly R160s.
(B) long scheduled waits, trains do not arrive on time, and its overweight R68/68As ruin the express run on Brighton, though it can be fast if you catch it on time.
(A) very prone to delays, gaps, and bunching due to its long route, waiting time for each branch in Queens is horrendous, weekend service sucks, and the fat R46s spoil the express runs in Manhattan and Brooklyn, but it runs a few sets of R32s and the Rockaway section has spectacular views of Jamaica Bay and the peninsula.
Rockaway Park (S) : very low scheduled frequency and overcrowded in the summer, but the route offers great views of the Atlantic Ocean and Rockaways.
(G) has short-length trains and infrequent service. The lone good thing about it is the Gowanus El crossing.
(R) has always been my least favorite train with its slow and boring route as it is the system's longest local with no outdoor portions except for a small section in Bay Ridge, trains do not run often, are prone to irregularity, and the obese R46s do not help much, but at least a couple of R160s run on it periodically.

Only a bitch say the (L) goes through scary neighborhoods.