SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Just now, Around the Horn said:

I'm not gonna touch *that* with a ten foot pole.

Instead, this question is for those people who have been inside/ worked an R179 cab: is is harder to program the train using the TOD?

I'm noticing that R179s with incorrect programs is happening more often than is the case with the R143/160 espcially during rush hour... For example there were two separate times that an R179 (Z) got signed up with the local program (instead of the express): in the first case it was local the full route and it caused a lot of confusion since the conductor chose to simply make manual announcements over it and in the second case it was just local Marcy-Myrtle and got fixed before it left Broad Street.

Took the (J) from Broad on Friday at roughly 2:30 PM (was an R179 and the display was signed up as a (J) to Jamaica Center whose next stop was Lorimer- it was changed though 30 seconds before we left)... don't know if the guy screwed up, was toying around with it, or something else.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

I'm not gonna touch *that* with a ten foot pole.

Instead, this question is for those people who have been inside/ worked an R179 cab: is is harder to program the train using the TOD?

I'm noticing that R179s with incorrect programs is happening more often than is the case with the R143/160 espcially during rush hour... For example there were two separate times that an R179 (Z) got signed up with the local program (instead of the express): in the first case it was local the full route and it caused a lot of confusion since the conductor chose to simply make manual announcements over it and in the second case it was just local Marcy-Myrtle and got fixed before it left Broad Street.

The way how they programmed the TOD is confusing because the route selection screen is difficult to navigate.

11 hours ago, 7-express said:

Does anyone know if there's a slow speed order on the <7>?  During the AM rush, trains seem to crawl into Woodside to the point where a local train might be faster than the express.

Structural maintenance on the viaduct if I'm not mistaken. Starting Monday, all (7) service will be local-only between 74 St-Broadway and Queensboro Plaza in both directions.

9 hours ago, Lance said:

Structural maintenance on the viaduct if I'm not mistaken. Starting Monday, all (7) service will be local-only between 74 St-Broadway and Queensboro Plaza in both directions.

Thanks...I thought they finished this crap when they had this same service pattern in late February.  Oddly enough the MTA hasn't said a peep about this or posted anything about it on their service changes.

Sure, the proposal is embarrassing. Equally embarrassing are people’s reactions. We’re now at 15 or so repetitive attempts at roasting this idea. In my not so humble opinion, one or two would have sufficed.  

Sad! 

Edited by RR503

Jesus Christ guys, leave it with the bullshit about Ephraim. I see you all on the FB group too making a scene like a bunch of middle-schoolers. You heard him say it: the dude is autistic, that means not everything that seems exactly normal to us will be to him and vice versa. Expect better from this site, absolutely embarrassing watching everybody pile on. Know when to drop it. Miss me with that.  

Guys. Move on. Several of you stated why his idea wasn't great. There's no need to constantly beat that dead horse with equally dead memes.

On that subject, cool it with the memes. They are neither helpful or useful.

Maybe it's an illusion, but in the past week I've gotten the feeling that R160s move faster via Brighton Express than R68s. I know the R68s accelerate more slowly, but is there any reason for the NTTs to be running faster on the line after getting up to speed?

2 minutes ago, P3F said:

Maybe it's an illusion, but in the past week I've gotten the feeling that R160s move faster via Brighton Express than R68s. I know the R68s accelerate more slowly, but is there any reason for the NTTs to be running faster on the line after getting up to speed?

Illusion it is. They both accelerate at similar rates when operated in similar fashion.

What you're actually seeing is operators mostly on the Q "wrapping" the throttle (full power) as opposed to a gradual increase. When operating on an Express run (longer distance), operators are taught to increase throttle power gradually. When doing a local run (short distance), they're taught to wrap it. Operators with more experience (and a willingness to do the job faster) wrap that throttle more, regardless of the run.

1 minute ago, Rick44 said:

Illusion it is. They both accelerate at similar rates when operated in similar fashion.

What you're actually seeing is operators mostly on the Q "wrapping" the throttle (full power) as opposed to a gradual increase. When operating on an Express run (longer distance), operators are taught to increase throttle power gradually. When doing a local run (short distance), they're taught to wrap it. Operators with more experience (and a willingness to do the job faster) wrap that throttle more, regardless of the run.

Huh, so is that why R68 expresses are beat off the line by R160 locals? The practice seems a bit counter-intuitive, but I'm sure there's a bunch of details I'm not aware of.

Got to ride the (N) today, went express from Astoria Blvd to QBP. What was interesting was that the conductor said "For those who need to get off at 30th Avenue and 36th Avenue, take this train to Queensboro Plaza, and take a LOCAL LIMITED back up."

2 minutes ago, P3F said:

Huh, so is that why R68 expresses are beat off the line by R160 locals? The practice seems a bit counter-intuitive, but I'm sure there's a bunch of details I'm not aware of.

Yeah it does seem counter-intuitive, its supposed to be for safety, plus another reason I can't remember. 

6 minutes ago, bwwnyc123 said:

Subway cars (R46 and R68/68A those Fat Elephant/Hippos) are actually slower than R160s faster acceleration.

You got a fact sheet or is that your personal opinion? 

The answer is actually in your comment.

11 minutes ago, bwwnyc123 said:

It is a visual fact R160s always outrun the older Subway Cars.

Again, it's an illusion. I explained the illusion earlier.

They both accelerate at 2.5mph per second if operated at full power.

Edited by Rick44

I've noticed (B) trains that leave at the same time as a (Q) train and wrap that R68/68A's throttle down that Express section run neck and neck with the R160's to a local station (e.g. Kings Highway to Avenue U). If an operator uses full power out of Kings Highway, it runs neck and neck to Avenue U. The 160 has to slow down for the stop, the 68/68A keeps going. The reason why you see what you see (I notice the same thing, I'm not oblivious) is that operators usually follow the MTA guidelines on Brighton and don't leave Kings Highway with full power.

It's not about what you see, it's about WHY you see what you see. I explained it based on the experience from the mouths of real T/O's that do that line and others. I'm sure an experienced T/O could easily explain that to you in similar fashion.

4 hours ago, Rick44 said:

I've noticed (B) trains that leave at the same time as a (Q) train and wrap that R68/68A's throttle down that Express section run neck and neck with the R160's to a local station (e.g. Kings Highway to Avenue U). If an operator uses full power out of Kings Highway, it runs neck and neck to Avenue U. The 160 has to slow down for the stop, the 68/68A keeps going. The reason why you see what you see (I notice the same thing, I'm not oblivious) is that operators usually follow the MTA guidelines on Brighton and don't leave Kings Highway with full power.

It's not about what you see, it's about WHY you see what you see. I explained it based on the experience from the mouths of real T/O's that do that line and others. I'm sure an experienced T/O could easily explain that to you in similar fashion.

I would like to see the difference if there was a R160 (D) vs the current R160 (F) and see if there is any difference cause like you said, when I take the (F) on 6th Avenue and see and express (D). The R160 (F) is always neck to neck or sometimes outruns a R68 (D)