SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today on the J train at hewes street it was it's last stop, when i got off the train i see people still on the train still sitting down thinking that it's going to manhattan but it wasn't.

And the conductor clearly made announcements before that there are no j trains to manhattan and hewes street is the last stop

And on my way back home on the e train at queens plaza, i see passengers  waiting on the r train platform on the manhattan bound side looking for r trains and clearly there were no r trains at queens plaza

Edited by Far rockaway

1 hour ago, jon2305 said:

Another garbage R62A 1800s on the (1) with no A/C (2 consecutive hot cars in a 5-car consist). SMH

Which set? I was on a set with 1864 a while ago (it had no A/C), and it seemed as if other cars were rather empty while the rest were SRO (which were the ones that had A/C).

1 hour ago, Yankees4life said:

Its gonna be a long summer for those on the (1), (3), and (6), eh?

And it ain't the first time with this nonsense as it's been well documented.

16 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Which set? I was on a set with 1864 a while ago (it had no A/C), and it seemed as if other cars were rather empty while the rest were SRO (which were the ones that had A/C).

Two cars from the 1891-1895 set can't remember which one exactly, but 1892 had to be one of them.

Happened to attend an affair in mid-April with some family and friends from Brooklyn. All of us are lifelong Brooklynites , most of us fully or semi-retired, and all of us have used NYCT since the Fifties. Three of us present are retirees from Transit and the conversation eventually became centered on the state of NYCT first and foremost with the inclusion of the (MTA) as a whole a part of the larger discussion. Someone remembered this site as something I'd mentioned years ago and they asked me if I was still an active member. I told the group that while I was still a participant I'd dialed back somewhat because of some of the obvious, at least to me, misconceptions about how subway and bus service is, or should be designed in the NYCT system. I was advised  (ordered) by my elders to stick with it and to reach out to my rabbi and our associates who know the right people and the inner workings of the active folks in charge. For 3 months I've had texts, emails, and phone calls from everyone present at the original affair and my extended Transit family which includes 3 retired superintendents, two active B/Os, one retired B/O, and seven active or retired  M/M, T/O, and C/R s. Heck we had a connected Brooklyn politico and a young journalist at the affair who thought the idea was something collegiate types would do and not us " old folks". Those who've glanced at the site over the last decade asked me about some of the people who were active back then so if anyone knows what happened to Roadcruiser 1 or Pelham Bay Dave let them know that their contributions were noticed even by lurkers. I'm going to try to respond to some of the bigger ideas my people have sunk their teeth into as time allows because they have been monitoring some threads closely for 3 months or so. The aspiring journalist wanted to know why I didn't correct the poster who questioned my take on the issue of 30,000  monthly train delays attributed to sick customers by the TA a  few months ago. I told the poster the numbers were bogus and that anyone, past or present, familiar with the workings of the (MTA)  PR office and RTO knew that. My rabbi said that it's obvious why many active subway and bus types have also dialed back their postings which were rather informative to some of us. My last point in closing comes in the form of a question from two retired RTO supers. How many subway fans really know the difference between the "official" (MTA) most used subway stops and the real world numbers? Hint. It's in the wording. Entry point, transfer point, or combination. Some stations are both. Carry on

4 hours ago, Jemorie said:

The R62s have two air-conditioning compressors per car whereas the R62As only have one. The (3) is less prone to hot cars than the (1) and (6).

You sure? Cause the 62s started out as singles as well and I've been on 62s with hot cars on both the (1) and (3). Haven't been on hot cars on any other fleet except for the 62s and 62As in recent years.

20 hours ago, Far rockaway said:

And on my way back home on the e train at queens plaza, i see passengers  waiting on the r train platform on the manhattan bound side looking for r trains and clearly there were no r trains at queens plaza

Actually, that wasn't clear, because the MTA website made no mention of (R) train service being suspended. It only said that there was "limited service" and "service changes" on the QBL lines, but never bothered to list all the service changes, leaving people confused. There were also no station announcements of the sort either. Given the subway lines rerouted and/or delayed by this signal problem (the (A)(C)(D)(E)(F)(G)(N)(Q) and (R) ), on top of service suspended at some stations, I don't know why the MTA would just list that there are service changes. People need to know what the changes are.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

41 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Actually, that wasn't clear, because the MTA website made no mention of (R) train service being suspended. It only said that there was "limited service" and "service changes" on the QBL lines, but never bothered to list all the service changes, leaving people confused. There were also no station announcements of the sort either. Given the subway lines rerouted and/or delayed by this signal problem (the (A)(C)(D)(E)(F)(G)(N)(Q) and (R) ), on top of service suspended at some stations, I don't know why the MTA would just list that there are service changes. People need to know what the changes are.

It's like wheel of fortune, you have to guess the letters in order to know what the service changes are.

6 hours ago, LGA Link N train said:

Hey what would be the feasibility of creating a transfer between Lexington 59 and Lexington 63 from 3rd Avenue since it's wider than Lexington for a start?

Tunneling under hundreds of millions of dollars worth of real estate, closing down a busy thoroughfare, tunneling under the (N)(R)(W) tracks, and creating a poor passenger flow situation where people have to cram onto the already crowded 60th street platform to get between transfers.

Edited by kosciusko

20 minutes ago, kosciusko said:

Tunneling under hundreds of millions of dollars worth of real estate, closing down a busy thoroughfare, tunneling under the (N)(R)(W) tracks, and creating a poor passenger flow situation where people have to cram onto the already crowded 60th street platform to get between transfers.

It can use the space for the pocket track on the Lexington Avenue Line at 59th Street. This was an option considered.

6 hours ago, LGA Link N train said:

Hey what would be the feasibility of creating a transfer between Lexington 59 and Lexington 63 from 3rd Avenue since it's wider than Lexington for a start?

The point of building a connection would be to allow (F) riders to access Lex trains; access to Broadway trains is no longer necessary with the cross-platform transfer to the (Q). That's why Third Avenue isn't a good choice: the connection from the (F) to the (4)(5)(6) would be extremely circuitous and used by few (walking on the street would probably be just as fast, if not slightly faster, than this). The idea to use the space occupied by the 59th Street pocket track is a much better idea.

31 minutes ago, officiallyliam said:

The point of building a connection would be to allow (F) riders to access Lex trains; access to Broadway trains is no longer necessary with the cross-platform transfer to the (Q). That's why Third Avenue isn't a good choice: the connection from the (F) to the (4)(5)(6) would be extremely circuitous and used by few (walking on the street would probably be just as fast, if not slightly faster, than this). The idea to use the space occupied by the 59th Street pocket track is a much better idea.

I can't find the document online. I must have scanned it from the municipal archives. Once I find it I will post it.

On 7/15/2018 at 7:24 PM, trainfan22 said:

You sure? Cause the 62s started out as singles as well and I've been on 62s with hot cars on both the (1) and (3). Haven't been on hot cars on any other fleet except for the 62s and 62As in recent years.

Alright, my bad. I don't really know. I just assumed because the (1) and (6) are what the local news media complain about the most during the summer.

This was mentioned on the R179 thread but why is the s/b IND Culver express track almost entirely 2shot timers between 7 ave and Church Ave?

The signals appear to be of the newer type (like those at the 34th St/6 Ave, Roosevelt Ave, South Ferry, 2nd ave, and Hudson Yards areas)

Edited by RestrictOnTheHanger
Clarity

13 minutes ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

This was mentioned on the R179 thread but why is the s/b IND Culver express track almost entirely 2shot timers between 7 ave and Church Ave?

The signals appear to be of the newer type (like those at the 34th St/6 Ave, Roosevelt Ave, South Ferry, 2nd ave, and Hudson Yards areas)

It might be because they use that track to test CBTC equipment.

12 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

I can't find the document online. I must have scanned it from the municipal archives. Once I find it I will post it.

@officiallyliam

42749701374_6d60eac156_b.jpg63rd Street Transfer 5 by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

43465880191_99a6bbe0fc_b.jpg63rd Street Transfer 4 by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

42749700844_144924d81d_b.jpg63rd Street Transfer 3 by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

42749700294_c8ef1216ff_b.jpg63rd Street Transfer 2 by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

42749699974_1f5c0b46d9_b.jpg63rd Street Transfer 1 by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

Edited by Union Tpke
size

On 7/14/2018 at 11:16 PM, Far rockaway said:

Today on the J train at hewes street it was it's last stop, when i got off the train i see people still on the train still sitting down thinking that it's going to manhattan but it wasn't.

And the conductor clearly made announcements before that there are no j trains to manhattan and hewes street is the last stop

That's NY for you. Some people are too oblivious for their own good. Although, I doubt they could make out what the conductor was saying over those muffled speakers.

28 minutes ago, Cabanamaner said:

That's NY for you. Some people are too oblivious for their own good. Although, I doubt they could make out what the conductor was saying over those muffled speakers.

Mr Byford should send some people infomation guides down when stuff like that strikes or any big closures coming up (similarly done in Toronto)

59 minutes ago, BreeddekalbL said:

Mr Byford should send some people infomation guides down when stuff like that strikes or any big closures coming up (similarly done in Toronto)

I actually help when I can (and by help I mean scream at people saying that there are no express trains and whatnot).