SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm probably gonna be called ancient after this tidbit from the past. We had a Broadway-Brooklyn local when I was a kid.  Started at Canarsie or Atlantic Avenue and used the flyover to enter Eastern Parkway. It ran local to/from Canal rush hours.  The Myrtle joined and ran local too. The Jamaica line ran skip-stop from 168th to Eastern Parkway and then express to/from Manhattan. There were some oddball local trains that came from Alabama that started at Crescent  I'm guessing.  See what a free bus and subway pass could do for an elementary school kid back in the day?  Just my recollection of those days.  Carry on. 

36 minutes ago, Trainmaster5 said:

I'm probably gonna be called ancient after this tidbit from the past. We had a Broadway-Brooklyn local when I was a kid.  Started at Canarsie or Atlantic Avenue and used the flyover to enter Eastern Parkway. It ran local to/from Canal rush hours.  The Myrtle joined and ran local too. The Jamaica line ran skip-stop from 168th to Eastern Parkway and then express to/from Manhattan. There were some oddball local trains that came from Alabama that started at Crescent  I'm guessing.  See what a free bus and subway pass could do for an elementary school kid back in the day?  Just my recollection of those days.  Carry on. 

I imagine it was a ton of fun riding the R16's, the Gate Cars, whatever was left of the experimental BMT cars, and tons of other equipment that was around back then. Truly an era we'd wish we were alive to witness. 

1 hour ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Did you ever operate the (L) before the realignment east of Broadway Junction?

3 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Did you ever operate the (L) before the realignment east of Broadway Junction?

Never.  Strictly an IRT man whether up front or manning the middle 😁. I've operated transfer consists almost everywhere exceptions being Jamaica Yard and down the Canarsie to AY yard. As a kid I always wanted to operate through the Atlantic Avenue and Broadway Junction complex because I was lucky enough to to ride the Fulton Street el before it's demolition as well as the Canarsie and there were tracks and switches leading everywhere,  especially to a wide-eyed kid with a RFW. Pictures of the area don't compare to the experience IMO.

26 minutes ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

Hey, is anyone going to check out the major 3 G.O.'s happening tomorrow?

(E) to WhiteHall

(3) to 137-City College and MOST IMPORTANTLY.....

(J) to Metropolitan Avenue?

Also, Today marks one year after I joined the Forums!!

1. Good reroute so maybe

2. Old G.O. probably not.

3. If R179s run.

1 hour ago, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

Good news on #3, at least two people have caught an R179 signed as an (M) so if anyone wants that, go fan it

So I guess they never updated those systems for a (J) to Metropolitan, eh? Whatever. At least the 179s see some new scenery for once.

Just now, Lance said:

So I guess they never updated those systems for a (J) to Metropolitan, eh? Whatever. At least the 179s see some new scenery for once.

See this is my problem, if they know that they don't have a (J) to Metropolitan Av program then why have the (J) be listed as the main line in the G.O when programs exist for the (M) to Broad St. I told you Lance, it was just like that the (4) to East 180th G.O.

10 hours ago, Coney Island Av said:

R179s on the (M) and R62As on the (3)... looks like everyone will be a whole lotta foaming this weekend... :lol:

And don't forget the (E) to Whitehall. 

You're quite right. I only went to the (J) via Metropolitan Avenue, There was 1 R179 (M) train, I feel like the conductor was trolling

Curious, did Broadway Junction ((A)(C) platforms) ever have a full length mezzanine? I see some evidence of it on the ceilings, but I can't find any records of it online. I refuse to believe that such a massive station was built with only one entrance/exit, but I can't imagine where any other exits could've been before being closed.

I'm not sure if I should create a new thread for this, but I'm in pre-production for a short documentary as part of a journalism class. My partner has suggested station renovations as the topic since he lives along the Astoria Line. I personally think it's a great start. Manageable and relevant for a first go at a doc since 2013 (I've mostly been in the narrative world since lol). The goal is to educate as well as to truly understand what actually goes into station renovations. The info on that is surprisingly hard to find. 

What's the point of this post? Two-fold.

The first is the need to source some documents regarding renovations. I've already sent a FOIL request on how stations are chosen, what is the history of renovations, and design philosophy. Among a few other things. If anyone can help with that, that'd be amazing.

Second: Interview subjects. My partner is sourcing people who may have lost business as a result of ESI style closures or other things relating to it. Opinions on that route of renovation, the elevator issue, and whether or not the MTAs priorities are in the right place. And if not, what you think needs to be done. Personally, I want a mix of passengers, transit/accessibility advocates, and employees to possibly be on camera. The questions themselves are being drafted, but they won't be truly complete until I have the missing info.

If any of you would like to be in this doc as a subject, or just have any questions, please feel free to email me at dexter@reelworks.org.

There seems to be a 32 in rotation on the (J) now — saw it passing Flushing maybe 15 mins ago. 

The 42 passed me entering Myrtle on the middle OOS, which is I assume why. 

Edit: there are 2 — second one in the Knickerbocker area now. 

Edited by RR503

1 hour ago, EphraimB said:

Why did I see an R42 in the Rockaways on the test track one day and pulling out of broad channel another day?

Probably emergency brake testing. Every car class has to go once per year, so I guess this was the 42s time.

3 hours ago, RR503 said:

There seems to be a 32 in rotation on the (J) now — saw it passing Flushing maybe 15 mins ago. 

The 42 passed me entering Myrtle on the middle OOS, which is I assume why. 

Edit: there are 2 — second one in the Knickerbocker area now. 

I was on a set of R42s the night of July 20th traveling to Middle Village–Metropolitan Avenue. The moment we reached Central Avenue our C/R was reluctant to open up, and was insisting the T/O pull up further when we were flush with the 8-car marker. I don't know if there were any SMEE trains in rotation going to Middle Village this weekend other than that R42 set I caught.

1 minute ago, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

I was on a set of R42s the night of July 20th traveling to Middle Village–Metropolitan Avenue. The moment we reached Central Avenue our C/R was reluctant to open up, and was insisting the T/O pull up further when we were flush with the 8-car marker. I don't know if there were any SMEE trains in rotation going to Middle Village this weekend other than that R42 set I caught.

As per a friend, the 42s don’t have CR controls in TO cabs, forcing them to platform only at stops with 5/3 boards. The 32s don’t sport that ‘feature,’ so they are good with the (M) — hence the swap. 

On 7/20/2018 at 6:00 PM, Trainmaster5 said:

I was lucky enough to to ride the Fulton Street el before it's demolition

Man that must have been something. Was this the Rockaway to Lefferts route? I remember as a kid I had a great Aunt that lived on Bronx Blvd right off of Gun Hill Road riding the train to her house I remember seeing the 3rd Ave EL platform still intact with tracks and all.. I always wished I got to ride I just missed it by few years.. I remember her talking about the noise from the curves on both ends of Gun Hill and riding all the way down to Manhattan she must have lived there for 30 plus years. Feeling a bit of Nostalgia here..  Sorry, if off topic.

Edited by RailRunRob