Jump to content


Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
EE Broadway Local

SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Recommended Posts

Have there ever been any plans to connect the two Rector Street stations and Wall St on the (4)/(5) ? There is only a block or a bit more between the stations, and connecting the 3 could be easier then connecting Bowling Green to SF. It would also build crossunders between the platforms at the Rector stations to allow people to cross for free. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Have there ever been any plans to connect the two Rector Street stations and Wall St on the (4)/(5) ? There is only a block or a bit more between the stations, and connecting the 3 could be easier then connecting Bowling Green to SF. It would also build crossunders between the platforms at the Rector stations to allow people to cross for free. 

Better idea: get some (4)(5) trains to terminate at South Ferry loop once the Lex Ave CBTC is installed to alleviate any bottlenecks in Brooklyn. You'll get easy transfers over to the (1)(R)(W) at South Ferry, and the cost? Maybe about 20% of the cost of that plan, plus, we are reusing existing infrastructure!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, mine248 said:

Better idea: get some (4)(5) trains to terminate at South Ferry loop once the Lex Ave CBTC is installed to alleviate any bottlenecks in Brooklyn. You'll get easy transfers over to the (1)(R)(W) at South Ferry, and the cost? Maybe about 20% of the cost of that plan, plus, we are reusing existing infrastructure!!!

We already have said why this idea wouldn't work at least a million times.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

Soooo... anybody got any info/update on this R62A (5) train?

Suuuuuuuure

  • LMAO! 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Because it is summer, I was wondering:

What are the hottest stations in your experience? Conversely, hich stations always seem cool?

Some of the warmest stations I have noticed are:

14th Street Union Square (4)(5)(6) 

96th Street (1)(2)(3) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Atlantic Ave Junction .

Utica Ave (2)(3)(4)(5) 

Some things that contribute I think are how far underground they are and also I heard the new trains air conditioners make stations hot.

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, W4ST said:

Because it is summer, I was wondering:

What are the hottest stations in your experience? Conversely, hich stations always seem cool?

Some of the warmest stations I have noticed are:

14th Street Union Square (4)(5)(6) 

96th Street (1)(2)(3) 

96th street on the (1)(2)(3) is HORRIBLE... In fact if I take the subway, sometimes, I stay on say the (1) to avoid that hot mess.  Another one that has always been unbearable is the Atlantic Avenue station on the (4)(5) platform.  Even with the renovation that station is a sauna.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every single underground station feels like a furnace to me, since my tolerance for any type of warm weather/heat is very low.... I don't even bother trying to discern which is the hottest, or which station is hotter over some other station..... That's something else I don't miss about taking the subway - having to carry at least a bottled water, so I won't be up shit's creek without a paddle when (not if, but when) I get lightheaded....

....Which reminds me, I gotta get the porter to change the bottle on this 'cooler here, when I break out for lunch in a few.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Every single underground station feels like a furnace to me, since my tolerance for any type of warm weather/heat is very low.... I don't even bother trying to discern which is the hottest, or which station is hotter over some other station..... That's something else I don't miss about taking the subway - having to carry at least a bottled water, so I won't be up shit's creek without a paddle when (not if, but when) I get lightheaded....

....Which reminds me, I gotta get the porter to change the bottle on this 'cooler here, when I break out for lunch in a few.....

I have to be on the Upper East Side tonight and I will be skipping the subway.  The M101s come in packs so I just go to a stop, wait for several to show up, get on one and with the bus lane it's not too bad with the kids being out.  No stairs and all of that.  I took the (C) down to TriBeCa Sunday afternoon from 59th since it was express and OMG, coming back I'm walking with my Whole Foods bags and I go downstairs there at Chambers St., and the heat hits me. I'm like ugh... This is too much. If these stations had elevators it would be more bearable, but schlepping up those stairs... It's lost on me now. lol

In my case, I called myself getting out of the mess by getting off at Penn, getting the M34 to 6th for the BxM2 only to find that a fair was going on, so now I gotta go back down into the abyss again at one of the WORST stations possible. Herald Square is another one that even as a 20 year old something I can recall being so overheated that I almost passed out.  It was one of those nights where the humidity was just unbearable even coming from an air conditioned building.  I don't know how the homeless do it down there.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been away foaming for the past couple of days because a ton of insane things happened...

On Sunday, I went out to fan the (M) line with a couple of my friends to hunt for R179 (M) trains. Unfortunately, all the R179s displayed were (J)s to Broadway Junction or were just blank. My friend told me it was because the conductors didn't know the (M) codes. Since there was an R42 in Fresh Pond Yard, we mainly fanned at Fresh Pond Road to see if it would come out. However, we eventually left once an R179 showed up and went to Canal St. 

We then fanned the (E) via the (R) at 49 St. I eventually left and fanned it at other Broadway stations, but then I got word that SMEEs were running on the Myrtle Av Line! I was so shocked, and eventually made my way back to Canal St. I took the (J) to Central Av, and then I saw an R42 coming into the station signed up as a (Z). Some of the rollsigns displayed an upside-down (L). The only people I saw in the front car were railfans, including @Dj Hammers himself! I recorded footage at the RFW until we arrived at Metropolitan. Immediately after we arrived, the R42 was taken OOS. But then we all saw an R32 pulling into the station, and everyone started foaming/recording. 

And then, we all took a shot of the two side-by-side, that would never happen again!

28727038817_7d1cc0e8bc_b.jpg

 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Coney Island Av said:

I've been away foaming for the past couple of days because a ton of insane things happened...

On Sunday, I went out to fan the (M) line with a couple of my friends to hunt for R179 (M) trains. Unfortunately, all the R179s displayed were (J)s to Broadway Junction or were just blank. My friend told me it was because the conductors didn't know the (M) codes. Since there was an R42 in Fresh Pond Yard, we mainly fanned at Fresh Pond Road to see if it would come out. However, we eventually left once an R179 showed up and went to Canal St. 

We then fanned the (E) via the (R) at 49 St. I eventually left and fanned it at other Broadway stations, but then I got word that SMEEs were running on the Myrtle Av Line! I was so shocked, and eventually made my way back to Canal St. I took the (J) to Central Av, and then I saw an R42 coming into the station signed up as a (Z). Some of the rollsigns displayed an upside-down (L). The only people I saw in the front car were railfans, including @Dj Hammers himself! I recorded footage at the RFW until we arrived at Metropolitan. Immediately after we arrived, the R42 was taken OOS. But then we all saw an R32 pulling into the station, and everyone started foaming/recording. 

And then, we all took a shot of the two side-by-side, that would never happen again!

28727038817_7d1cc0e8bc_b.jpg

 

OMG, THE RAREST CATCH OF  THE CENTURY!!!OMG OMG I'M FOAMING

(Sarcasm)

  • LMAO! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Coney Island Av said:

I've been away foaming for the past couple of days because a ton of insane things happened...

On Sunday, I went out to fan the (M) line with a couple of my friends to hunt for R179 (M) trains. Unfortunately, all the R179s displayed were (J)s to Broadway Junction or were just blank. My friend told me it was because the conductors didn't know the (M) codes. Since there was an R42 in Fresh Pond Yard, we mainly fanned at Fresh Pond Road to see if it would come out. However, we eventually left once an R179 showed up and went to Canal St. 

We then fanned the (E) via the (R) at 49 St. I eventually left and fanned it at other Broadway stations, but then I got word that SMEEs were running on the Myrtle Av Line! I was so shocked, and eventually made my way back to Canal St. I took the (J) to Central Av, and then I saw an R42 coming into the station signed up as a (Z). Some of the rollsigns displayed an upside-down (L). The only people I saw in the front car were railfans, including @Dj Hammers himself! I recorded footage at the RFW until we arrived at Metropolitan. Immediately after we arrived, the R42 was taken OOS. But then we all saw an R32 pulling into the station, and everyone started foaming/recording. 

And then, we all took a shot of the two side-by-side, that would never happen again!

28727038817_7d1cc0e8bc_b.jpg

 

I'm yet to ride the R179 cars....Maybe cause i havent been out railfanning in a while and everytime i use the (J) its a R32 160 143...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is Kingsbridge Road on the (5) still viable to be restored as a station? Just curious.

Edited by Lawrence St

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Is Kingsbridge Road on the (5) still viable to be restored as a station? Just curious.

No.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Is Kingsbridge Road on the (5) still viable to be restored as a station? Just curious.

5 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

No.

To further elaborate, all that remains of the former station are the headhouse (sealed since the '40s) and the long-since abandoned trackways for the station. Even if the line were to be extended the thousand feet or so to platform a full-length train, it would require extensive renovations (read: a complete rebuild) to get the station into serviceable condition. Also, an extension of the line will undoubtedly run into the houses that have since cropped up along the former ROW. Unlike Rockaway Beach, which is technically still owned by the city of New York, all of the former NYW&B ROW north of the Dyre Ave tail tracks has fallen into private ownership.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.