SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

If anybody is in the area there's an R160 (C) train heading to Rockaway Park RIGHT NOW! Just passed my (A) train near the race track.

It was signed up as the (C) to Rockaway Park which made it that much cooler.

There was a 12/9 with TWO people at Broadway Junction which messed up (A) & (C) train service.

Edited by trainfan22

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reference to logos/stickers: I saw that the 42nd Street Shuttle cars have the LIVONIA YARD logos placed next to the number plates. 

My question for the subway followers should every car have the respective yard logo/stickers placed on them similar to the Depot stickers that are on the buses

3 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

If anybody is in the area there's an R160 (C) train heading to Rockaway Park RIGHT NOW! Just passed my (A) train near the race track.

It was signed up as the (C) to Rockaway Park which made it that much cooler.

There was a 12/9 with TWO people at Broadway Junction which messed up (A) & (C) train service.

Did anyone take a picture of that <C>?

1 hour ago, FLX9304 said:

Reference to logos/stickers: I saw that the 42nd Street Shuttle cars have the LIVONIA YARD logos placed next to the number plates. 

My question for the subway followers should every car have the respective yard logo/stickers placed on them similar to the Depot stickers that are on the buses

That's different from the car assignments: those are cars that are part of the experiment by Cuomo for the seatless test 

Also, units can swap back and forth as loaners so there's no need

Edited by Calvin

7 minutes ago, TheNewYorkElevated said:

Rode a (3) train that had a hot car on my way home today. It was so hot the door leading to the next car was left open so that the air could come in. Feels like the air conditioning crisis is slowly spreading to the R62s. 

I think I read somewhere a while ago that the 62/As have such bad A/C reliability that the R42s do better (or as good as) than them.

God damn it. I was talking dirty and didn't get the chance to use this: “my train is 10 cars long and B-division width. 😏

F.Y.I, this started out with “i love exploring tunnels” and ended with “is your train ready?”

My follow-up remark would've been lost on her.

19 hours ago, TheNewYorkElevated said:

Rode a (3) train that had a hot car on my way home today. It was so hot the door leading to the next car was left open so that the air could come in. Feels like the air conditioning crisis is slowly spreading to the R62s. 

The r62s have always had the worst AC in my experience. The only hot cars I've run into this summer were r62s on the (1) and (6)

A few random thoughts from using the subway today:

1. (N) shuttle bus

If you're going to run the shuttle bus to 59th only, then you should do one of two things:

1. Make sure the (R) runs every ten minutes OR

2. Run extra (R) trains 

They did 3:  Run the (R) at 12-15 minute frequencies. Inexcusable. 

Otherwise the actual shuttle was decent. Dispatch at 59th tried to keep buses properly spaced out at every 5 minutes. Of course that fell apart at 8th Av where everyone would try to squeeze on one bus to the point that some could not physically close the doors. As a result several large gaps formed. Perhaps there should have been extra personnel at really busy stops...

And they should find a way to put the shuttle buses on BusTime. I think that would help.

2. Weekend supplemental schedules

If you're going to have a G.O. where track capacity is reduced, you should cut one line completely instead of cutting across the board. Case in point: the "12 minute headway" on the (R) today. I don't think a single interval was on time today. Multiple 15-20 minute waits and one 25 (!) minute wait. That's simply unacceptable if you're also expecting people to take the (R) train to an (N) shuttle bus.

Instead they should cut the (R) at Queens Plaza and run the (E)(F) local or instead of cutting out trips entirely, run them to 96th on SAS instead.

An example from across the pond: Whenever there is CBTC work on the subsurface lines, one of the Circle or Hammersmith and City lines is completely suspended (with the other service running up to Barking) instead of cutting intervals on all of the lines on that section...

3. Baseball specials

Happened to come across one of the Yankees Specials at West 4th. I quite like that that they had it on the clock as a (D) to Canal St, to reduce confusion. The only issue was that it was fully signed up as a (B) and went to the World Trade Center. Still that's better than nothing.

21 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

1. (N) shuttle bus

If you're going to run the shuttle bus to 59th only, then you should do one of two things:

2. Run extra (R) trains 

Otherwise the actual shuttle was decent. Dispatch at 59th tried to keep buses properly spaced out at every 5 minutes. Of course that fell apart at 8th Av where everyone would try to squeeze on one bus to the point that some could not physically close the doors. As a result several large gaps formed. Perhaps there should have been extra personnel at really busy stops...

And they should find a way to put the shuttle buses on BusTime. I think that would help.

If you're going to have a G.O. where track capacity is reduced, you should cut one line completely instead of cutting across the board. Case in point: the "12 minute headway" on the (R) today. I don't think a single interval was on time today. Multiple 15-20 minute waits and one 25 (!) minute wait. That's simply unacceptable if you're also expecting people to take the (R) train to an (N) shuttle bus.

Instead they should cut the (R) at Queens Plaza and run the (E)(F) local or instead of cutting out trips entirely, run them to 96th on SAS instead.

An example from across the pond: Whenever there is CBTC work on the subsurface lines, one of the Circle or Hammersmith and City lines is completely suspended (with the other service running up to Barking) instead of cutting intervals on all of the lines on that section...

3. Baseball specials

Happened to come across one of the Yankees Specials at West 4th. I quite like that that they had it on the clock as a (D) to Canal St, to reduce confusion. The only issue was that it was fully signed up as a (B) and went to the World Trade Center. Still that's better than nothing.

And people said I was BS-ing when I complained about waits of 20+ minutes on here... <_<

2 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

1. (N) shuttle bus

2. Run extra (R) trains 

3. Baseball specials

1. Exactly, they think it's the wall of  service advisories causing off peak drop in ridership? LOL its ACTUAL SERVICE

2. I've been saying this for the longest. 

48 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

1. Exactly, they think it's the wall of  service advisories causing off peak drop in ridership? LOL its ACTUAL SERVICE

2. I've been saying this for the longest. 

EVERY line has planned work this weekend. Ridiculous. Not only that but you have to take shuttle buses too. I was Downtown today. Did a work around of the (1) by getting on further up instead of below Chambers. 

By my count, the (5)(C)(D)(E)(F)(L)(N)(R) all have cut service this weekend... (L) is down from 5 minute to 8 minute headways, the (5) is on it's defacto permanent 20 minute headway, and the rest are on 12 minute headways.

With all the tourists out and about, these lines are all going to look like a weekday rush hour, but what else is new?

1 hour ago, paulrivera said:

By my count, the (5)(C)(D)(E)(F)(L)(N)(R) all have cut service this weekend... (L) is down from 5 minute to 8 minute headways, the (5) is on it's defacto permanent 20 minute headway, and the rest are on 12 minute headways.

With all the tourists out and about, these lines are all going to look like a weekday rush hour, but what else is new?

Yeah I'm sticking to the express bus and walking today....

17 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

1. (N) shuttle bus

2. Run extra (R) trains 

The (R) has had those gaps for the longest, so it's not surprising for me. I just wish they can finish the damn tunnel work on the Queens-Midtown Tunnel again, so that I can take the express bus again instead of the train. Taking the Q53/Q60 is so much better than taking the (R) (or the QBL in general). 

One of the biggest issues is when everything goes either local or express in one direction, because when an (R) arrives at Forest Hills, it has to fumigate. Last weekend, there was an (E) sandwiched between two NB (R) trains 4 minutes apart. I can only imagine how everyone behind that second (R) felt. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven