SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

17 hours ago, VIP said:

They really f**ked up the R62A assignments. 

Let me guess: they're trying to adjust to the new stickers to the 62As on the (6)...

The (1) train is getting more crowded lately, especially weekends. Every time the (2) and (3) take a long time to show up, a ton of people get on the (1). Is the 7th Ave express becoming more slower? 

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, TheNewYorkElevated said:

Let me guess: they're trying to adjust to the new stickers to the 62As on the (6)...

The (1) train is getting more crowded lately, especially weekends. Every time the (2) and (3) take a long time to show up, a ton of people get on the (1). Is the 7th Ave express becoming more slower? 

It certainly starting to seem that way thru out the system...taking the first local becoming better than waiting for an express depending on where you going....just the other day i took the C From utica and beat the A all the way to 34st...

39 minutes ago, biGC323232 said:

It certainly starting to seem that way thru out the system...taking the first local becoming better than waiting for an express depending on where you going....just the other day i took the C From utica and beat the A all the way to 34st...

For sure, the speed between a local and an express is diminishing on many lines like the Fulton / 8th Av. line. It's becoming system-wide, now the flushing express and queens bvld. express lines are still pretty fast but the trend is definitely becoming increased from my experience.

Local tracks have less to NO timers and also people are “Expressaholics” and when that’s in issue, those trains get held up and overcrowded before a Local does. If you time your trip correctly, any Express train saves you 3-6 minutes on AVERAGE. 

4 hours ago, TheNewYorkElevated said:

No, it’s because weekend ridership has increased and the (MTA) thinks it’s still 1998.

If anything we have worse weekend service than what we had in ‘98, despite NYC’s population alone growing by 1.5 million the last 20 years.

On Monday I had to ride a R62A without A/C, and that was death. Today, as my (3) was approaching 96th Street, it passed by a (1) with (n)2285-2281(middle) leading the front and one of the new light sets, (middle) 1855-1851(s). So when I transferred, I decided to chance it and take 1855. It had the cold A/C. Wouldn't you know it, at 103rd Street, about 12 people change from 2281 to 1855. At 110th, about 6-7 more come. One woman said out loud the conductor was trying to kill them with the lack of A/C on 2281.

17 hours ago, GojiMet86 said:

On Monday I had to ride a R62A without A/C, and that was death. Today, as my (3) was approaching 96th Street, it passed by a (1) with (n)2285-2281(middle) leading the front and one of the new light sets, (middle) 1855-1851(s). So when I transferred, I decided to chance it and take 1855. It had the cold A/C. Wouldn't you know it, at 103rd Street, about 12 people change from 2281 to 1855. At 110th, about 6-7 more come. One woman said out loud the conductor was trying to kill them with the lack of A/C on 2281.

I was just on the (6) the other day with weak A/C. I haven’t ran into a R62A on the (1) with a busted A/C. From my experience I’ve been on many R62A’s on the (6) with busted or poor A/C. I don’t know if it has something to do with poor maintenance, but when the (7) had R62A’s I don’t remember the A/C’s breaking like they do now. 

Another thing that I’ve noticed that I can’t stand about the MTA is how inconsistent and sloppy they are when it comes to refurbishing cars. Often times I’ll see half of a R46, R62A or R160 set with bright new lights, exit door mats and yellow poles (R160s), but then the other half of the set is still untouched. Most people don’t care as long as the train shows up but I would think that the (MTA) would at least try to strive for uniformity. I don’t lose any sleep over it at all but it’s just so noticeable I’m like “the MTA can do better than this”. 

1 hour ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Another thing that I’ve noticed that I can’t stand about the MTA is how inconsistent and sloppy they are when it comes to refurbishing cars. Often times I’ll see half of a R46, R62A or R160 set with bright new lights, exit door mats and yellow poles (R160s), but then the other half of the set is still untouched. Most people don’t care as long as the train shows up but I would think that the (MTA) would at least try to strive for uniformity. I don’t lose any sleep over it at all but it’s just so noticeable I’m like “the MTA can do better than this”. 

It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't such a jarring difference. It's like the brand new 188 insert car smack dab in the middle of the beat up converted sets.

2 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I was just on the (6) the other day with weak A/C. I haven’t ran into a R62A on the (1) with a busted A/C. From my experience I’ve been on many R62A’s on the (6) with busted or poor A/C. I don’t know if it has something to do with poor maintenance, but when the (7) had R62A’s I don’t remember the A/C’s breaking like they do now. 

That’s bacause trains don’t come in sets of eight and ten cars, but rather they come in four and five car sets for flexibility (and maintenance) purposes.

Speaking of “refurbishment”, R62A 2056 has exterior speakers (not sure if this is an old change)

5 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

That’s nothing. I was on the (J) and it was Half Cuomo set and half regular R160 (without the refurbishments). 8473-8476/8325-8328 Smh if they’re gonna break up that 8-car set then they need to reinstate the cars back to it’s normal or current specs! 

Edited by VIP
Car Numbers

4 hours ago, VIP said:

That’s nothing. I was on the (J) and it was Half Cuomo set and half regular R160 (without the refurbishments). 8473-8476/8325-8328 Smh if they’re gonna break up that 8-car set then they need to reinstate the cars back to it’s normal or current specs! 

This might be laughable but I think there should be more 160 Cuomo's with maybe converting a few 142's  (for CBTC purposes) into Cuomo's but following the seating arrangements of the upcoming R211s. That way the subway fleet could stick more to uniformity. 

2 hours ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

This might be laughable but I think there should be more 160 Cuomo's with maybe converting a few 142's  (for CBTC purposes) into Cuomo's but following the seating arrangements of the upcoming R211s.

IMHO they should consider a "mid-life" overhaul for the R142/A bringing them up to R211 spec in both customer features and hardware/software.

10 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

IMHO they should consider a "mid-life" overhaul for the R142/A bringing them up to R211 spec in both customer features and hardware/software.

I could've swore I read something about this a while back where there's a plan to upgrade the components of the 142s to R188 standards. Help me out here @Union Tpke. As for FINDs and the like, I don't see how those would be useful on trains that rarely leave their home lines. The (2) and (5) are the exception to the rule and not the standard, unlike most of the B-Division, where cars are shared among several lines.

Edited by Lance

8 minutes ago, Lance said:

I could've swore I read something about this a while back where there's a plan to upgrade the components of the 142s to R188 standards. Help me out here @Union Tpke. As for FINDs and the like, I don't see how those would be useful on trains that rarely leave their home lines. The (2) and (5) are the exception to the rule and not the standard, unlike most of the B-Division, where cars are shared among several lines.

You are correct on that with the R142A. The MTA listed it out here: http://web.mta.info/capitaldashboard/15_19/agencies/t/t7010103_project_narrative.htm

14 minutes ago, Lance said:

The 142A's dont need FIND's. Those new strip maps on the (2) and (5) do a good enough job.

On 8/28/2018 at 10:07 PM, VIP said:

Local tracks have less to NO timers and also people are “Expressaholics” and when that’s in issue, those trains get held up and overcrowded before a Local does. If you time your trip correctly, any Express train saves you 3-6 minutes on AVERAGE. 

If not for timers, the Express should save even more time, the express is supposed to be FAST.