SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Just now, RR503 said:

I think this here is key. I know you and I differ on the best way to address community scale, affordable housing, education, homelessness, etc., but I think that we would have seen much more progress on those issues if those directly implicated actually had time to voice their concerns. As the proverb goes, decisions are made by those who show up, and if you're commuting for two hours to get from a job with middling pay to a home you can afford, you're gonna have even less time to involve yourself in shaping civic futures. 

It's true. My work actually involves me having to attend more public meetings, and you can see the difference in the participation based on the demographics of the area.  We had a meeting earlier this year in DUMBO/Brooklyn Heights about a transportation issue.  The room was quite crowded with people speaking multiple times in some cases and feeling quite comfortable doing so I may add.  They were either long-time residents or owners who obviously have a vested interest in the changes facing their community.  Meanwhile I've also attended meetings in poorer areas where hardly anyone shows up except for maybe one or two elected officials due to what we talked about earlier. Either people are working, don't feel that their voice matters or think that no ones gives a damn about their issues, so nothing will change.  

There was a female member here who wrote her thesis comparing transportation issues in my neighborhood versus Edenwald and how much support residents had from elected officials in my area versus Edenwald.  She noted that they were both similar in topography (hilly areas) with limited subway access, but how money and political clout affected the transportation the two areas received as well as the choices in transportation that people in both areas had. It's a very good read.

https://fordham.bepress.com/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1000&context=aaas_senior

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Was there ever a plan to build a passageway from Lex-63rd to Lex-59th? I'm sure doing so would take plenty of riders off the (E) considering (F) riders would now have access to Lex express and local, unlike the (E) which has just local.

No plans came up to connect Lex-63rd to 59th while the 63rd Street line was being planned up. 

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 6:42 PM, RR503 said:

No C/R boards IIRC

You'd think they'd hit up Bergen St and have them whip up a couple of boards for Pelham Pkwy, more so since the station's a transfer point to the Bx12 Select. I mean, this isn't a curved station where CCTV monitors are needed to see the full length and this is hardly a new issue. 

19 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Was there ever a plan to build a passageway from Lex-63rd to Lex-59th? I'm sure doing so would take plenty of riders off the (E) considering (F) riders would now have access to Lex express and local, unlike the (E) which has just local.

Back when 63rd Street was originally conceived, it was to be a direct transfer to the lines at Lexington Av-59 St, at least according to the early '70s planning maps.

Just an update on those new announcements:

The (2) and (5) have updated SBS announcements as follows in the Bronx:

3rd Av-149th St: "Transfer to the: Bx41 Select Bus Service!"

Intervale Av: "Transfer to the: Bx6 Select Bus Service!"

West Farms Square: "Transfer to the: Q44 Select Bus Service!"

Pelham Pkwy: Remains as the same announcement.

":" signifies a splice in the announcement.

It's weird how the last (5) update for some reason took out all the SBS transfer announcements except for Pelham Pkwy.

Either Jamaica doesn’t get their R160’s inspected regularly or they’re waiting for all other Yard’s R160’s to be updated. (All their R160’s are not updated except the “Cuomo” sets obviously) Coney Island yard is extremely On it with upkeep/servicing their cars. And surprisingly Westchester as of late.