SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there still any 4 train express service during rush hours between 149th Street and Woodlawn Road? I just noticed a story from when there was a test nearly 10 years ago, and the claim was it would save 3.5 minutes vs the trip on the local. I don't see how it can be so little. Eight or nine stops were skipped. Is this really the way the test worked out?

54 minutes ago, pb-bkln said:

Is there still any 4 train express service during rush hours between 149th Street and Woodlawn Road? I just noticed a story from when there was a test nearly 10 years ago, and the claim was it would save 3.5 minutes vs the trip on the local. I don't see how it can be so little. Eight or nine stops were skipped. Is this really the way the test worked out?

During the PM, some trains run express between 167th Street and Burnside Avenue where they short-turn.

7 minutes ago, Trainmaster5 said:

" Short turn" ? Maybe things have changed but those trains used to go out of service there at Burnside and lay up to the yard. Just asking .. Carry on.

Mostly during the AM rush.  Few weeks ago, I saw a (4) that says To Burnside Av around 11AM at Atlantic Av. 

Edited by Calvin

3 minutes ago, Calvin said:

Mostly during the AM rush.  Few weeks ago, I saw a (4) that says To Burnside Av around 11AM at Atlantic Av. 

There are trips during both rushes"

7:56, 8:20, 8:31, 8:47, 9:31, 9:43, 9:52, 10:05, 10:29, 10:47 (the one you saw–arrives at Atlantic at 10:56) from Utica in the AM

6:15, 6:46, 7:03, 7:28 from Utica in the PM

43 minutes ago, Trainmaster5 said:

" Short turn" ? Maybe things have changed but those trains used to go out of service there at Burnside and lay up to the yard. Just asking .. Carry on.

I never understood the point of those (4) trains to Bedford Park. 8/10 times, the train continues to Woodlawn anyway.

8 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

I never understood the point of those (4) trains to Bedford Park. 8/10 times, the train continues to Woodlawn anyway.

It doesn't sound like much if any of an express service. Perhaps there's no demand for a stop just at Burnside Ave before heading to Woodlawn.

22 hours ago, Porter said:

Would there be any serious consequences if both Rector Street stations were permanently closed? Are they really needed? 18th and 28th on the (1) seem useless too.

Nothing consequential. As long as you don't mind shifting the riders of those two stations to South Ferry-Whitehall St and either of the two Cortlandt St stations. Same thing if you closed 18 Street and 28 Street, with Penn Station, 23 Street and 14 Street forced to pick up the slack.

In case the sarcasm is too subtle, it's a bad idea all around as, while each station mentioned is relatively low use, they all serve a purpose of not overwhelming the other nearby stations. The only reason why 18 Street, Worth St and 91 Street were closed in the '50s was because the platform extensions meant these stops would be literally on top of each other. None of the ones proposed above fit that criteria.

Speaking of Cortlandt St, apparently, they recorded a new station announcement for the recent name change. It sounds just as bad as I thought it would:

Why does Ms. Mitchell always sound like she's gargling marbles?

Edited by Lance